Hillbilly Elegy

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Hillbilly Elegy

Post by flipp525 »

Maria Bakalova’s orgasm scene at the Republican Ladies Club meeting would be a great clip for her if she does get nominated.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
The outside-the-box frontrunner, at least as of now, is Yuh-Jung Youn, the 74-year-old "Meryl Streep of South Korea" who plays the grandmother in Minari.
I don't know if you mean "outside-the-box frontrunner" to suggest that somehow she might end up with a win or a nomination but from what I've heard the last one is significantly more likely.

I haven't seen Borat 2 but Sasha Baron Cohen hypes Maria Bakalova up in every interview he gives. I think that could go a long way for a race in flux.

Helena Zengel is probably the biggest question mark for me. We won't know until anyone sees News of the World. If it gets good reviews, I think she's in.

We also haven't seen Judas and the Black Messiah, a movie I've been pretty excited to see since I first saw the trailer. Apparently, Dominique Fishback has a big role in it. Variety is hyping her as a possible contender.

If The Prom turns out to any good, maaaayve Nicole Kidman could get in. She gets in for everything else.

From what I can tell, we've got two sure bets (Seyfried, Colman), two question marks, and about six or seven others that are circling.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The outside-the-box frontrunner, at least as of now, is Yuh-Jung Youn, the 74-year-old "Meryl Streep of South Korea" who plays the grandmother in Minari.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

flipp525 wrote
Could the girl from Borat actually get nominated? I thought she was great and very much stole the film.
I think it's possible. Best Supporting Actress is the most in flux category right now. The five likeliest are Ellen Burstyn, Glenn Close, Olivia Colman, Saoirse Ronan, and Amanda Seyfried, and that is no way set in stone.

And I think if Sasha Baron Cohen gets a nomination, it will keep Borat 2 somewhat in the spotlight.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

flipp525 wrote:Could the girl from Borat actually get nominated? I thought she was great and very much stole the film.
Supposedly Amazon is mounting a campaign for, and if there is a year for an outside the box nomination, this might be it.

The question might be if the film is still remembered in 4 months...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Could the girl from Borat actually get nominated? I thought she was great and very much stole the film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think Vikander had Ex Machina as an alternate since that's where most critics went, but Danish Girl was more of an "Oscar" film, so more people probably saw it because Eddie Redmayne was getting traction for it and so they went with the one they recognized.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Staggeringly bad 38 on Metacritic. In an earlier time, this would have been instantly vaporized as far as award hopes. But the blogger community has been pushing Adams/especially Close for so long that, who knows? The Danish Girl actually WON an acting award with a less-dire but similar blogger-pushed narrative.
The Danish Girl had a 67% on RT and a 66 on Metacritic. Hillbilly Elegy has a 36% on Metacritic and a 21% (!!!) on Rotten Tomatoes.

Also, did Vikander/Danish Girl have a similar bogger-pushed narrative? I don't think she/it did. I think Vikander had a great year with memorable roles, and she wasn't up against someone who appealed to voters.

Best Actress looks relatively full (barring a Ma Rainey disappointment). Best Supporting Actress is too, but Close's blogger narrative might be enough because she just lost.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It sounds like crap, but I will be watching this on Netflix on 11/24 to form my own opinion.

Forget Adams. As for Close, it seems more like The Pope of Greenwich Village was for Geraldine Page than The Trip to Bountiful was for her. Translation: a possible Oscar nod, but no Oscar. If that's the case, I hope she's not nominated. To put her through all that for naught again seems a bit cruel.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Staggeringly bad 38 on Metacritic. In an earlier time, this would have been instantly vaporized as far as award hopes. But the blogger community has been pushing Adams/especially Close for so long that, who knows? The Danish Girl actually WON an acting award with a less-dire but similar blogger-pushed narrative.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reviews are in. Not impressive. A few.

‘Hillbilly Elegy’ Review: Amy Adams and Glenn Close Act with Down-Home Flamboyance in Ron Howard’s Otherwise Overly Safe Adaptation
Owen Gleiberman
https://variety.com/2020/film/reviews/h ... 234826719/

Everything about Netflix’s Hillbilly Elegy movie is awful
It lacks even the conviction of the bestselling 2016 book on which it’s based.
Alissa Wilkinson
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... ew-netflix

‘Hillbilly Elegy’ Review: Ron Howard Adapts J.D. Vance’s Controversial Memoir into a Forgettable Netflix Biopic: C-
David Ehrlich
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiew ... 97691/amp/
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Jeff Wells has just seen it and has this to say:

"I’ve seen Ron Howard‘s Hillbilly Elegy. It’s a familiar-feeling people movie about a guy struggling to walk his own path despite a dysfunctional family upbringing and dispiriting cultural influences. A lot of difficult behavior from Amy Adams’ character, but the story is the story and the film accomplishes what it sets out to do. And Glenn Close is great as Mamaw."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A friend of mine just saw the film and said: "Awful. No nominations."
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Personally, the only one I find cringeworthy in the trailer is Amy Adams.

Glenn Close, though, looks to me more like Beulah Bondi in The Southerner, a performance I love, than either Renée Zellwger in Cold Mountain or Marjorie Main in The Egg and I, two that I dislike intensely. Will she finally win an Oscar? Too soon to tell, but the last Ron Howard film to face so much backlash was A Beautiful Mind and look what happened there.

Will she win one of my awards? Having already won two for The World According to Garp and The Wife, she would have to be awfully good to join the rare company of Katharine Hepburn with 5, Ingrid Bergman and Jack Nicholson with 4, and Deborah Kerr, Maggie Smith and Meryl Streep with 3.
dws1982
Emeritus

Hillbilly Elegy

Post by dws1982 »

Based on the Oscar thread, I feel like this is going to be a conversation piece worthy of its own thread.

Hits Netflix November 24.

Trailer

Extremely low-effort poster.

Return to “2020”