Streaming Recs Requested

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Streaming Recs Requested

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Palm Springs on Hulu - haven't seen it yet but Cristin Milioti, again a long shot, is possible at the Globes.
I have. I think Andy Samberg has a better shot of a nomination. Neither will win. It'll do well at the independent spirit awards. I suspect it will win nothing but I enjoyed it enough for a strong recommend.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Jallikattu, India's International Feature entry this year, is available on Amazon Prime. It is about a wild buffalo who escapes a slaughterhouse and the people try to hunt it down as it rampages through the town. It is crazy but excellently made.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

From 2019, Francois Ozon's excellent By the Grace of God just became available to stream on Prime today. Best description would be as a French companion to Spotlight, but I think it cuts deeper by centering the victims of the story.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

The Assistant is on Hulu. Boston Society of Film Critics gave Julia Garner best actress. I doubt this is your kind of movie, Tee, as there are long stretches with no dialogue. I thought it was very good, with Garner excellent as usual.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Several Documentary Contenders: All In on Prime; The Mole Agent, Spaceship Earth, I Am Greta, The Artist and the Thief, and Totally Under Control on Hulu.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

One Night in Miami is not yet available on Prime. I read that it will be released there on January 15th. I don’t know of other Oscar contenders released on these platforms, but if you’re interested in watching a television series I would recommend PEN15 on Hulu. It’s definitely not for everyone, but watching the 30-something creators of the show play themselves as 7th graders is remarkable, as is the show’s uncanny ability to conjure up the angst of early adolescence. It’s also very funny.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uncle Frank on Amazon Prime - it's minor but Paul Bettany could be a long shot for Best Actor, though more likely at the Spirit awards or even the Globes than the Oscars.

Palm Springs on Hulu - haven't seen it yet but Cristin Milioti, again a long shot, is possible at the Globes.

For sheer enjoyment, I am recommending Daredevil on Netflix. I am not a big superheroes fan, but I enjoyed the three seasons of this one which ran new in 2015, 2016 and 2018. I checked it out learning that Charlie Cox as the blind hero and Vincent D'Onofrio as the Trump-like villain will reprise their roles for the upcoming Spiderman 3 with Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire all playing Peter Parker in alternate universes. It takes place in Hell's Kitchen and was filmed entirely in New York. It's very realistic for what it is. Best of all, no CGI. Multiple Emmy nominations in 2015 and 2016. SAG nominated its stunts ensemble for all three seasons.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Streaming Recs Requested

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm going to be spending the next week at my parents' house (not ignoring Dr. Fauci's guidelines; a family health situation requires my presence). My parents have Amazon Prime and hulu, and I want to do what I can to fill in Oscar-qualifying gaps while I'm there.

As far as I know, I can watch Sound of Metal, the Borat sequel, and One Night in Miami on Amazon. And, I guess, the McQueen is-it-a-movie-or-TV-series?, if I have time. Is there anything else I'm unaware of that might figure in? What about on hulu? (If they have other sites of which I'm not aware, I'll amend this.)

Many thanks for any info.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”