Film Awards Reference Guides

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Film Awards Reference Guides

Post by Big Magilla »

I had bought Robert James' early volumes, pointed out a number of errors to him which he fixed for second editions. His most glaring was his putdown of Edith Evans as "Miss Western" in Tom Jones. He had confused her with Susannah York, who I thought was also perfect in her part, but not to know who Evans was really threw me for a loop.

At the rate he's producing these things, we'll all be dead before he gets caught up to date.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Film Awards Reference Guides

Post by Reza »

I have the first two volumes. Magilla, thanks for the heads up for the following two volumes which I will now get. Had no idea they had come out.

Also worth a look are a series of books by Robert James called "Who Won?!? An Irreverent Look at the Oscar". Volume One covers 1927-1943, Volume Two (1944-1952), Volume Three (1953-1963) and Volume Four (1964-1970). He covers all the award categories each year by first analyzing each nominee followed by an alternate section where he discusses categories which he thinks the Academy made a mistake on. Also mentions briefly films and actors not nominated and which he thinks should have been included instead.

He is working on the next volume (1971-1981) which he has promised will come out later this year. He also has a Facebook page by the name "WHO WON? An Irreverent Look at the Oscars" where he charts the progress of the next volume he is working on.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Film Awards Reference Guides

Post by Big Magilla »

For anyone looking for a successor to Inside Oscar, Brian Lindsay, an Australian journalist has released four reasonably prices paperback volumes of Film Awards - a Reference Guide to US & UK Film Awards.

Volume One, released in 2017, covered the years 1927-1959. Volume Two, released in 2018, covered the years 1960-1979. Volume Three, released in 2019, covered the years 1980-1999. Volume Four, which was just released, covers the years 2000-2019.

They only cover the top six categories, but they cover them in depth. Volume Four, at 660 pages, is double the previous volumes. He lists and discusses all the nominees for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress for all the major awards including the Oscars, Golden Globes, BAFTAs, PGA, DGA, SAG and (Broadcast) Critics awards as well as the winners of the major critics' groups - New York, Los Angeles, National Society, London along with the National Board of Review.

He mentions runners-up to some of the critics' awards in his narrative as well as talked-about films, directors and performers that failed to be nominated for an Oscar. All mentions are notated with critics' comments.

Damien would approve.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”