Unseen 2018 Oscar Nominated Films

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: Unseen 2018 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Unfortunately...it has only two shows a day: 10:30 AM and 10PM. In my youth, I might have gone for the second, but not these days, especially that far downtown.
I see an afternoon show once it gets into the weekend -- I'm directly on the movie's website, not sure what Moviefone/Fandango/anything else are saying -- but obviously you know your own life schedule and don't need my help to fill out your weekend plans.

If it makes you feel any better, the thought of starting ANYTHING at 10 PM that involves me leaving my house fills me with absolute dread, and I'm half your age.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote: Border is still in theaters in NY/LA (well, technically Orange County for us Angelenos) -- but by you it's at the IFC Center on the Avenue of the Americas according to the movie's web site.
Thanks; it hadn't shown up when I searched the Moviefone site.

Unfortunately...it has only two shows a day: 10:30 AM and 10PM. In my youth, I might have gone for the second, but not these days, especially that far downtown.

dws, your instinct about hurrying to Mary Queen of Scots seems a sound one. It looks as if the film is leaving NYC this weekend, so I can't imagine it'll linger elsewhere much longer.

I usually have way more outstanding at this point, but this is all I have left to see:

Never Look Away
Mary Queen of Scots
Christopher Robin
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Border
Capernaum
Ralph Wrecks the Internet
Mirai
...plus all the docs outside of RBG. (I thought that category'd be simpler this year.)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws, Can You Ever Gorgive Me? is definitely one of my favorite films of the year and Melissa McCarthy and Richard E. Grant are both excellent in it. I’m with Mister Tee in hoping for a surprise Grant win.

I also loved the many supporting players, most notably Jane Curtain and the wonderful Dolly Wells (who I might have given a supporting nomination).
Last edited by flipp525 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If anyone, like me, missed Can You Ever Forgive Me? back in November, it appears as if Fox Searchlight is putting it back in some theaters this weekend. I just saw where it'll be playing at a theater in Huntsville next week (albeit at a single 12:55 PM showing, so I'll have two days to see it). Guess I should probably pull the trigger on Mary Queen of Scots as well.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Can anyone tell me how/where to track down Border? A search on both Netflix-es (DVD and streaming) yield nothing. It apparently played in NY in October, but was barely seen by anyone. Help.

Subsidiary question: what deal does the Swedish film industry have going with the make-up branch?
Border is still in theaters in NY/LA (well, technically Orange County for us Angelenos) -- but by you it's at the IFC Center on the Avenue of the Americas according to the movie's web site.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Can anyone tell me how/where to track down Border? A search on both Netflix-es (DVD and streaming) yield nothing. It apparently played in NY in October, but was barely seen by anyone. Help.

Subsidiary question: what deal does the Swedish film industry have going with the make-up branch?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Black Panther (got the Blu-Ray, just haven't got around to it)
Bohemian Rhapsody (will get to it this week)
Can You Ever Forgive Me? (played 30 miles away; first week was Thanksgiving week and I couldn't make it, second week it only had afternoon showings and I couldn't make it)
At Eternity's Gate (never came here)
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Mary Poppina Returns
A Quiet Place
Never Look Away (didn't even know it was eligible beyond Foreign Film)
Mary Queen of Scots
Border
Avengers: Infinity War
Solo: A Star Wars Story

If they had nominated Shirkers, Three Identical Strangers, and Won't You Be My Neighbor, I could be as high as 4/5 in documentary, but as it is I'm 1/5. Minding the Gap will be easy to watch (it's on Hulu), and Hale County airs on PBS next month, but Free Solo never came here (I was at a theater playing it when I saw Shoplifters, but it didn't fit into my schedule), and I'm not sure if Of Fathers and Sons will be made available via streaming soon.
Last edited by dws1982 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Although I always remove foreign and documentaries because I never see enough, I'm missing:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book
Vice
Mirai
Cold War
At Eternity's Gate
The Wife
First Reformed
RBG
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Never Look Away
Mary Queen of Scots
Border
First Man
Christopher Robin

Surprisingly few for me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Unseen 2018 Oscar Nominated Films

Post by Reza »

Border
Capernaum
Shoplifters
The Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Minding the Gap
Hale County This Morning, This Evening
Of Fathers and Sons
Last edited by Reza on Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:19 am, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”