This Year's Host

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: This Year's Host

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Has nobody see this, or was it just deemed not worth posting?

Chris Rock will give it another go.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/21/ch ... -confirmed
I saw the rumors the day before, but not the actual announcement.

I don't think Chris Rock gets that many gigs anymore so if he has the time to give it the effort it deserves, and the producers reign his excesses in, he should do as well as anyone. I think the problem with Franco/Hathaway and Neil Patrick Harris was that they had too many projects to juggle and didn't give it the proper attention. Franco was bored and it showed. Harris looked tired and the indulgence the producers allowed him to engage in his obsession with magic was ill-advised.

I will say, however, if Chris Rock falls flat, the time has come to cut the comedy and have the show hosted by someone with more gravitas, say Tom Hanks or Emma Thompson, both of whom can be wry without trying to be ha-ha funny.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

danfrank wrote:I like Chris Rock. Let's face it: this is a tough gig that nobody's that good at. He's as good as anybody.
I honestly don't know why anyone takes the job; the likelihood of being trashed afterward is close to 100%.

And as far as "why don't they get someone new?" -- three of the last five shows were hosted by Hathaway/Franco, Seth McFarlane and Neil Patrick Harris (and a fourth was supposed to be Eddie Murphy, till Brett Ratner melted down and they plugged in emergency Billy Crystal). This has in fact been a very inventive period for selecting hosts. Rock returning after 10 years doesn't strike me as old hat.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I like Chris Rock. Let's face it: this is a tough gig that nobody's that good at. He's as good as anybody.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Couldn't they have gotten someone else? I remember almost nothing of Rock's first go and would rather we had new blood instead of rotating through the same group of hosts. Give some new people a chance...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

This Year's Host

Post by Mister Tee »

Has nobody see this, or was it just deemed not worth posting?

Chris Rock will give it another go.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/21/ch ... -confirmed

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”