Unseen Oscar Nominated Performances

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Unseen Oscar Nominated Performances

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm not familiar with Pasqualino Settebellezze or Una Giornata Particolare

Pasqualino Settebellezze is Seven Beauties (1975) and Una Giornata Particolare is A Special Day (1977).
Gee, thanks, Reza. It only took eleven years from the time I made that comment for you to tell me that. :roll:
Better late than never!

:lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I'm not familiar with Pasqualino Settebellezze or Una Giornata Particolare

Pasqualino Settebellezze is Seven Beauties (1975) and Una Giornata Particolare is A Special Day (1977).
Gee, thanks, Reza. It only took eleven years from the time I made that comment for you to tell me that. :roll:
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Unseen Oscar Nominated Performances

Post by Reza »

mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:As you may know, I'm trying to see all nominated performances in the 4 acting categories since 1970, as well as all the BP nominees since then. I've been posting my comments on the films I'm watching on the "last seen movie"thread.

However, I can't seem to find anywhere the following films:

I Never Sang for my Father
The Great White Hope
Diary of a Mad Housewife
Lovers and Others Strangers
The Landlord
The Hospital
Whos is Harry Kellerman?
The Go-Between
Carnal Knowledge
Sounder
The Emigrants
The Heartbreak Kid
Pete 'n' Tillie
Summer Whishes, Winter Dreams
Claudine
Give'm Hell, Harry!
Hedda
Hester Street
Once is not Enough
Pasqualino Settebellezze
Cousine Cousine
Una Giornata Particolare
Same Time, Next Year
Comes a Horseman
Starting Over
Chapter Two
Tribute
Resurrection
Melvin and Howard
Only When I Laugh
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Reuben, Reuben
Cross Creek
Trip to Bountiful
Anna
Street Smart
Gaby
Longtime Companion
Tom & Viv
Georgia
Ghosts of Mississippi

I know many of them are available on region 1 dvds, but I live in Europe and it's almost impossible to find this films overhere (or buy them on Amazon but pay high shipping and taxing costs).

Anyone willing to help me?
So which of these are you still looking for?
None. Was able to find them all. Thanks for asking :D
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:As you may know, I'm trying to see all nominated performances in the 4 acting categories since 1970, as well as all the BP nominees since then. I've been posting my comments on the films I'm watching on the "last seen movie"thread.

However, I can't seem to find anywhere the following films:

I Never Sang for my Father
The Great White Hope
Diary of a Mad Housewife
Lovers and Others Strangers
The Landlord
The Hospital
Whos is Harry Kellerman?
The Go-Between
Carnal Knowledge
Sounder
The Emigrants
The Heartbreak Kid
Pete 'n' Tillie
Summer Whishes, Winter Dreams
Claudine
Give'm Hell, Harry!
Hedda
Hester Street
Once is not Enough
Pasqualino Settebellezze
Cousine Cousine
Una Giornata Particolare
Same Time, Next Year
Comes a Horseman
Starting Over
Chapter Two
Tribute
Resurrection
Melvin and Howard
Only When I Laugh
The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Reuben, Reuben
Cross Creek
Trip to Bountiful
Anna
Street Smart
Gaby
Longtime Companion
Tom & Viv
Georgia
Ghosts of Mississippi

I know many of them are available on region 1 dvds, but I live in Europe and it's almost impossible to find this films overhere (or buy them on Amazon but pay high shipping and taxing costs).

Anyone willing to help me?
So which of these are you still looking for?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Finally caught up with Fat City (1972). Loved the film but Susan Tyrrell is really annoying and insufferable. Don't know how she landed that nomination although Stacy Keach deserved one. He is outstanding and almost won the New York Critics award that year.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re:

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:flipp is right, Erwin is a clear lead; he's also pretty much insufferable. He'd have deserved a nomination two years earlier, for Viva Villa. The only reason to watch Pigskin is for the now-inside joke of little Judy continually insisting she can sing and no one paying attention till the end of the movie -- when she does sing, and knocks 'em dead.
I finally saw Pigskin Parade and while Stuart Erwin is top billed he is not the lead. The film is an ensemble piece with various actors and singers getting to sing and dance including a young Betty Grable. The film's only memorable moments are when Judy Garland appears. She sings three songs. Erwin is her hick brother and I agree he is indeed insufferable. His nomination is a total mystery.
mlrg
Associate

Re: Re:

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:From the last 20 years I still need to see:

Max Von Sydow Pelle the Conqueror
Alec Guiness Little Dorrit

Isabelle Adjani Camille Claudel

Mary McDonnell Passion Fish

Winona Ryder Little Women

Richard Dreyfuss Mr. Holland´s Opus
Tim Roth Rob Roy
Mare Winningham Georgia

Billy Bob Thornton Sling Blade
James Woods Ghosts of Mississippi
Joan Allen The Crucible
Barbara Hershey The Portrait of a Lady

Meryl Streep One True Thing

Janet MacTeer Tumbleweeds
Meryl Streep Music of the Heart

Javier Bardem Before Night Falls
Geoffrey Rush Quills

Sean Penn I Am Sam

It's been 9 years since you gave this list. How many of these performances have you managed to watch?
Still need to watch the ones above
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:How and why was Nick Adams nominated for Twilight of Honor? He makes absolutely zero impression in the film.

Who else was under consideration that year? Two I can think of were Burgess Meredith for The Cardinal and Roddy McDowell for Cleopatra. Anyone else?
Nick Adams was a favorite of Hedda Hopper who heavily promoted him for the nomination.

Roddy McDowall was ineligible for a supporting nomination as 20th Century-Fox inadvertently listed the entire cast of Cleopatra as leads in the days when Academy rules deferred to studio recommendations.

Others, in addition to Burgess Meredith, who would have been better choices than Adams and Bobby Darin in Captain Newman, M.D. were Brandon De Wilde in Hud, Tom Bosley in Love with the Proper Stranger and even Walter Brennan in How the West Was Won, who was also heavily promoted at the time.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re:

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:From the last 20 years I still need to see:

Max Von Sydow Pelle the Conqueror
Alec Guiness Little Dorrit

Isabelle Adjani Camille Claudel
Pauline Collins Shirley Valentine

Bruce Davison Longtime Companion

Mary McDonnell Passion Fish

Leonardo di Caprio What´s Eating Gilbert Grape?

Miranda Richardson Tom & Viv
Winona Ryder Little Women
Rosemary Harris Tom & Viv

Richard Dreyfuss Mr. Holland´s Opus
Brad Pitt Twelve Monkeys
Tim Roth Rob Roy
Mare Winningham Georgia

Billy Bob Thornton Sling Blade
James Woods Ghosts of Mississippi
Joan Allen The Crucible
Barbara Hershey The Portrait of a Lady
Lauren Bacall The Mirror Has Two Faces

Robert Duvall The Apostle
Helena Bonham Carter The Wings of the Dove

Meryl Streep One True Thing

Janet MacTeer Tumbleweeds
Meryl Streep Music of the Heart

Javier Bardem Before Night Falls
Geoffrey Rush Quills

Sean Penn I Am Sam

Annette Bening Being Julia

Charlize Theron North Country
Paul Giamatti Cinderella Man
Frances McDormand North Country
It's been 9 years since you gave this list. How many of these performances have you managed to watch?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

How and why was Nick Adams nominated for Twilight of Honor? He makes absolutely zero impression in the film.

Who else was under consideration that year? Two I can think of were Burgess Meredith for The Cardinal and Roddy McDowell for Cleopatra. Anyone else?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Heksagon wrote:So... Did you watch The Tresspasser already?
Yes caught this finally but on youtube some days ago. Swanson is very good and deserved the nod.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Finally caught up with Bright Victory and Arthur Kennedy's Best Actor nominated performance. While the performance is good there is really nothing exceptional for it to warrant a nod.

Was Kennedy, after one previous nod in the supporting category, considered to be a star lead in the making or was his Best Actor nomination here due to the nature of the part - the after effects of WW II and the problems soldiers were going through? After all Brando's debut was in a similar role just a year before and despite good reviews there was no traction for him during the 1950 awards season. And Brando was a huge name by 1950 just by virtue of the stage version of Streetcar which came in 1947.
It was the influence of the New York Film Critics who voted his performance the best of the year over Brando and Clift - Bogie wasn't eligible, The African Queen not having opened in New York until 1952.

Kennedy was considered an actor's actor who had been very popular on stage in the late 40s playing the sons in Arthur Miller's All My Sons and Death of a Salesman but losing both film roles to other actors. The movies liked him, too, going as far back as 1940's City for Conquest in which he played James Cagney' brother. I don't think anyone saw him as a new "star" - at the time of the nominations he had already been seen supporting James Stewart in 1952's Bend of the River and was about to be seen in Rancho Notorious in which he was the main character but was billed below the title with Marlene Dietrich receiving sole over-the-title billing. The nomination was a combination of genuine affection for both the character and the actor for his naturalistic acting style and not a bad choice, but he probably didn't have much of a chance of winning.

He was also one of three actors nominated that year for a Golden Globe. The others were Kirk Douglas in Detective Story and Fredric March in Death of a Salesman. March won.

This was the third similar film of the era behind not only The Men, but 1945's Pride of the Marines with John Garfield as well.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

So... Did you watch The Tresspasser already?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Finally caught up with Bright Victory and Arthur Kennedy's Best Actor nominated performance. While the performance is good there is really nothing exceptional for it to warrant a nod.

Was Kennedy, after one previous nod in the supporting category, considered to be a star lead in the making or was his Best Actor nomination here due to the nature of the part - the after effects of WW II and the problems soldiers were going through? After all Brando's debut was in a similar role just a year before and despite good reviews there was no traction for him during the 1950 awards season. And Brando was a huge name by 1950 just by virtue of the stage version of Streetcar which came in 1947.

Return to “Other Oscar Discussions”