93rd Oscars: Best Original Song

For the films of 2020
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: 93rd Oscars: Best Original Song

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

This was one of the disappointments for me.

To begin with, we must admit that it was a good year for the category: nothing too dark or out of nowhere. Five more than decent songs. Having said that, I think the most forgettable of the group was precisely Fight for You. The faithful-to-the-70s arrangement is the most interesting about the song, but the truth is that I find it hard to remember a single line from it.

Husavik, Io Si and Speak Now would have been better winners. Even the TTOTC7 song works better for me.

H.E.R. is a strange case in contemporary music. I have nothing bad to say about her, but she is someone who continues to appear in awards and prizes year after year but with little commercial or even, it could be said, cultural impact. She just won the Grammy for Song of the Year for a song directly related to the murder of George Floyd, titled precisely "I Can't Breath", and if I say that I have heard it more than once (because I had to look for it on the basis of its nomination) I would be lying. Now she has won the Oscar ... I don't know, it's strange to me.

By the way, it could be the first time that an artist wins the Grammy for Song of the Year and the Oscar for Best Song in the same year for different songs.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

93rd Oscars: Best Original Song

Post by OscarGuy »

"Fight for You" - Judas and the Black Messiah
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”