93rd Oscars: Ceremony Discussion

For the films of 2020
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: 93rd Oscars: Ceremony Discussion

Post by Big Magilla »

To be fair, I don't think they banked on Boseman winning so much as they knew a large portion of the audience cared more about the two top acting awards than Best Picture and might turn the show off after they were given out.

Had Hopkins actually been there to give a speech, it would have ended better than it did. They should have anticipated a possible win for him and switched Best Actor and Actress to guarantee that the last winner of the night would be there.

I suspect tradition will return next year if there is a next year.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What a historic cock-up. They banked the whole show on Chadwick Boseman winning at the end, proving once and for all they have no idea who is taking home what. There is no reason in the world to expect the award will go to anyone other than Chadwick Boseman... and then it goes to Anthony Hopkins. And because there are no clips so we have no idea why at all. For so many people watching, it’s a sad,baffling, disorienting ending not unlike watching The Father itself. And then credits.

This whole show was cult of personality almost utterly divorced of context, until in the end the voters proved that yes, they do care about the movies and the performances. But the show didn’t provide the audience any gateway towards the grace the voters must have experienced watching The Father and Nomadland, two movies about (among other things) age and regret.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dws1982 wrote:This show has jumped the shark again.

Steven Soderbergh must be stopped at all costs.
Maybe he is taking revenge on the Academy for not being nominated again after winning more than 20 years ago.

I was intrigued by the idea of making it like a movie. I thought it was going to have all the category introductions and nominee overviews pre-taped, with only the announcement of the winner and acceptance speeches being live. This is just the same awkward spiel we always get but much, much worse. No consistency of format (sometimes clips, sometimes quotes from nominees).

Soderbergh knows how to create a slick production. This did not have to be a disaster.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I posted this on FB and I'm posting it here.

I've been following the Oscars for 31 years. This has been the longest, most draining season ever. 5 months from first precursors to tonight's closure of a telecast. I have never been more tired, frustrated, and underwhelmed. A mess of a show, a bland set of winners, and subversion of so many norms that it actually put off the Oscar enthusiasts, the few people who've been sticking with the Oscars after continuously sliding ratings.

I don't even think I can bring myself to write about this show or season in any detail. Heck, I'm not sure if it's all worth it anymore either. We're supposed to post our afterthoughts on Tuesday. Rather than posting my first Hopefuls list sometime this week, I'm going to shelve it for awhile and decide if I even want to bother anymore. That's how dispiriting this whole season and buildup to a limp finale has been to me.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

Maybe they'll invite David Letterman back to host.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

We're gonna get Billy Crystal back next year, aren't we?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

That was a thorough waste of 3.25 hours. Actually 4.75 hours if you watched the pre-show. If I ever decided to give up on the Oscars, this would be the perfect moment to jump ship.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Renee presenting Best Actress?? I can't keep up with the madness.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bonus is, we will probably never be subjected to Soderbergh as a show producer again...this will be the worst reviewed ceremony ever.
Wesley Lovell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

They will close the show the same way as the In Memoriam
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Steven Maximus: "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

This show has jumped the shark again.

Steven Soderbergh must be stopped at all costs.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You’d never know Mank was in black and white unless you made it to the end of the night
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sabin wrote:Christ this is fast!
They have a train to catch
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Christ this is fast!