Assistant

Re: Categories One-by-One: Supporting Actress

Post by danfrank »

I think Youn wins. My personal rankings:

1. Amanda Seyfried
2. Youn Yuh-Jung
3. Olivia Colman
4. Maria Bakalova

Didn’t see Hillbilly Elegy and won’t, unless Close pulls off a surly win.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Trivia: If Amanda Seyfried mysteriously wins the Oscar all three generations of Mamma Mia! actresses (Cher, Streep, and Seyfried) will have beaten Glenn Close to an Oscar win. Credit for this hilarious stat goes to Jorge Molina of the “Just to be Nominated” podcast.
I get the point, but it should be actresses who played three generations of women in the Mamma Mia! franchise, not three generations of actresses. Streep and Cher are of the same generation even though Cher played her mother in the sequel, Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, in which she wore a gray wig. Cher is only three years older than Streep who played her friend in Silkwood for which they were both nominated for Oscars nearly forty years ago.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Trivia: If Amanda Seyfried mysteriously wins the Oscar all three generations of Mamma Mia! actresses (Cher, Streep, and Seyfried) will have beaten Glenn Close to an Oscar win. Credit for this hilarious stat goes to Jorge Molina of the “Just to be Nominated” podcast.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is the acting category they get wrong more often than any other. This year it looks like they will be getting it right.

A win for Yuh-jung Youn is not only well-deserved but breaks so many barriers that it's almost miraculous.

It's rare for this award to go to an elderly actress playing an elderly person with real-life problems - Peggy Ashcroft was the last. No one (unless I'm forgetting someone) won for playing a grandmother who interacts with a grandchild. Only one Asian actress has ever won this award (none have won in lead) and no one has ever won it for a performance in any language other than English. As of Sunday evening, unless something goes terribly wrong, she will have.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Supporting Actress

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
Olivia Colman, The Father
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
Youn Yuh-jung, Minari

One of the last few categories to discuss: Supporting Actress. A couple of months ago, this felt like just as a contentious category as Best Actress but thanks to the SAG, BAFTA and now Indie Spirit combo, Youn Yuh-jung is our front-runner and likely winner. Maria Bakalova needed to win either SAG or BAFTA to give us any indication that voters may possibly go for her. I don't think the "Glenn Close needs an Oscar!" narrative is strong enough this year especially not for a film that was widely disliked.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”