Oscar Predictions Contest

For the films of 2020
Greg
Tenured

Re: Oscar Predictions Contest

Post by Greg »

Returning to my tradtion, here is the most recent year, based on the years the films were released, where I correctly predicted a category:

2020:
Picture
Direction
Original Screenplay
Adapted Screenplay
Supporting Actor
Supporting Actress
Intetnational Feature
Documentary Feature
Animated Feature
Live Action Short Subject
Animated Short Subject
Original Score
Film Editing
Sound
Production Design
Visual Effects
Makeup And Hairstyling

2019:
Lead Actor
Lead Actress
Documentary Short Subject
Original Song
Cinematography
Costume Design

Even though I came in last in the 2019 contest, I still managed to get every category right at least once for the last two contests.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:Come on, relax.
I'm totally relaxed, Sabin. I'm not the one with an itch.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Come on, relax.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

FilmFan720 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
Reza wrote:Despite all the brickbats I've received here and the accusations of being racist, I got caught up with all the "woke" nonsense so prevalent here and...
You turn more and more into Rush Limbaugh each day, man. Just grow up or shut up.
And he followed that up with a sexist remark!
Oh dear. Did that really twist up your knickers? Well I'm glad it did!!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ksrymy wrote:
Reza wrote:Despite all the brickbats I've received here and the accusations of being racist, I got caught up with all the "woke" nonsense so prevalent here and...
You turn more and more into Rush Limbaugh each day, man. Just grow up or shut up.
Good God, Oz, you still around? Got bored under that rock with your cockroach playmates and decided to crawl out? :lol:
Last edited by Reza on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

ksrymy wrote:
And he followed that up with a sexist remark!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:I'm not doing the math but didn't I get more bonus points
Possibly, but the only one mentioned in the summary is for Best Actress.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm not doing the math but didn't I get more bonus points
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm glad I'm not the one doing the calculations on this contest because unless I'm missing something, it looks to me like Jefforey tied Sabin for first place. Sabin and Jefforey appear to have gotten four wrong and Sonic five, if I counted correctly. All three got double points for one entry.

Sonic missed Actor, Actress, Song, Cinematography, and Doc Short.

Sabin missed Actor, Song, Cinematography, and Doc Short.

Jefforey missed Actor, Actress, Cinematography, and Song.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Greg wrote:Do we have our own Frances McDormand or Anthony Hopkins here? In that, has anyone won this contest more than once? I remember I won once, the year The Hurt Locker won Best Picture.
I did a search. It went as far back as 2012 (for the 2011 Oscars). Since that time, Jefforey Smith has won this contest THREE TIMES (although once was a result of a three-way tie). No one else has won more than once. (In years he didn't win, he is almost always in the upper-tier percentile) I started doing the double and triple point twist back in 2017 (for the 2016 Oscars). I don't know if that would've altered any results though.

So when you read Jefforey Smith's predictions, pay closer attention! :lol:
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Do we have our own Frances McDormand or Anthony Hopkins here? In that, has anyone won this contest more than once? I remember I won once, the year The Hurt Locker won Best Picture.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Congratulations, Sabin.

This is about as well as I've ever performed in the contest, and it only took me 20 years to get to this point. Who knows, maybe I'll win by 2040.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Despite all the brickbats I've received here and the accusations of being racist, I got caught up with all the "woke" nonsense so prevalent here and was convinced of not only Boseman winning (on pure sentiment of course) but was equally convinced that the Academy would finally give the lead award to a black actress this year. So Davis was in as far as I was concerned. I saw Day's film the day of the Oscars and liked her a lot but still chose Davis over her because of the former's much more illustrious career. Both actresses were superb. I love McDormand's performance the most amongst the nominees but like so many here thought it was too soon for her to win again and that too a third Oscar. For me Mulligan was never in the running. I thought she was totally miscast and just didn't believe her in the film. In fact I found her absolutely ridiculous in all those scenes where she is trying to act seductive and coming on to men in the bar. It was like seeing a 9 year-old girl putting on lipstick and high heels and trying to act like a femme fatale. Fun as a halloween stunt but a complete turn-off in real life.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Congrats to Sabin. Amazed I finished as high up as I did.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”