Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by OscarGuy »

My problem with Opera is that you don't know where it's going until you've already missed some of the details. I found it confusing at best. I would rank them as follows:

1) If Anything Happens I Love You
2) Genius Loci
3) Opera
4) Yes People
---
5) Burrow (such a mediocre short to carry the Pixar name. Only thing from Pixar I've seen that's worse is The Good Dinosaur)

And I saw If Anything Happens on a press screening link, so I didn't see any description and the trigger warning I remember seeing didn't say anything about the general nature of the spoiled element. I honestly think it would have lost its impact knowing the ending going in. Being about parents losing a child is poignant enough, adding in the final moment definitely altered the force it hits with.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
gunnar
Assistant

Post by gunnar »

I didn’t like Genius Loci or Yes-People very much, though Genius Loci does have some really good animation. Burrow and Opera are almost tied for my favorite, though I liked the story in Burrow more. If Anything Happens was also pretty good.

Here’s how I’d rank them:

1) Burrow
2) Opera
3) If Anything Happens I Love You
4) Genius Loci
5) Yes-People
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

anonymous1980 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:SPOILER WARNING Anonymous, Please add a spoiler warning for your post. You give away an essential part of the plot for If Anything Happens I Love You (no comma in the title, btw). It's a short about grief and you should leave it at that until everyone has a chance to see it.
Sorry. I knew about it going in. I didn't know it was a spoiler.
If you watch on Netflix, they more or less spoil it with their Warning that flashes at the start.

I haven't found a way to watch Opera or Genius Loci, so I can't fully comment. But I did like If Anything Happens... the best of the three I've seen.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I am almost in complete step with Anonymous. Opera is the most innovative and best of them, but the equally powerful If Anything Happens I Love You should win deservedly here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:SPOILER WARNING Anonymous, Please add a spoiler warning for your post. You give away an essential part of the plot for If Anything Happens I Love You (no comma in the title, btw). It's a short about grief and you should leave it at that until everyone has a chance to see it.
Sorry. I knew about it going in. I didn't know it was a spoiler.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

SPOILER WARNING Anonymous, Please add a spoiler warning for your post. You give away an essential part of the plot for If Anything Happens I Love You (no comma in the title, btw). It's a short about grief and you should leave it at that until everyone has a chance to see it.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by anonymous1980 »

Personal preference:
1. Opera
2. If Anything Happens, I Love You
3. Burrow
4. Genius Loci
5. Yes-People

Prediction:
1. If Anything Happens, I Love You
2. Burrow
3. Opera
4. Genius Loci
5. Yes-People

I'm tossing out Yes-People first. I did not care for it. I don't even know why it was nominated. I think a lot of voters will feel the same.

Genius Loci has a beautiful aesthetic and an interesting approach. But again, not really something that will engender votes.

If I was voting, I would vote for Opera. It is composed of one single shot and it's an animated tapestry of sorts that depicts humankind's societal hierarchies as well as religion and government. There are so many different things going on, it requires multiple viewings to get everything. It's such an inventive way to tell a story. But I think it may be too out there for some people.

Burrow is the most conventional of the nominees. It's the PIXAR entry (It played before Soul) and it's one of then more widely seen and accessible and it's the funniest and cutest of the entries. Sometimes that's enough for a win.

But it's hard to bet against the emotional gut-punch of If Anything Happens, I Love You. It's on Netflix so it will also be widely seen. The story of (SPOILER) parents mourning the death of their child who was a victim of a school shooting will be resonant with a lot of people.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”