Postponed 2020 Awards

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Postponed 2020 Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

It's normally held in November, so they cancelled the original. Then when they announced the honorary award recipients, there were only two, both Hersholt winners, one an entity and one fairly young. They've announced that they will be given out during this year's ceremony, so I think we can safely assume that they aren't having a separate ceremony this year.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Has the Academy cancelled this year's Governors Awards?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote::lol:

I was joking about how horrid the movie is likely to be. :wink:
Big Magilla wrote:
nightwingnova wrote:Just got an invite to see a sneak preview of Greenland, which I don't plan to take up as I don't think I'm risking my life for that movie. :lol:
No movie is, but with masks and proper distancing, it might be safe.
I got that, but still!
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

:lol:

I was joking about how horrid the movie is likely to be. :wink:
Big Magilla wrote:
nightwingnova wrote:Just got an invite to see a sneak preview of Greenland, which I don't plan to take up as I don't think I'm risking my life for that movie. :lol:
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Just got an invite to see a sneak preview of Greenland, which I don't plan to take up as I don't think I'm risking my life for that movie. :lol:
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Emmys may have the model for how to handle the awards. From what I read, they will have a host at one location, presenters and winners elsewhere with separate cubicles set up at a distance from one another to make it safer. We'll have to see how that goes first.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:If the U.S. has a president who listens to the scientists and says it's safe to have a red carpet with interviews, then maybe they will, but if lying asshole Trump is still in charge, the liberal leaning Academy will be reticent to show up. Who's gonna host? Scott Baio? James Woods? The Trump family?
This reminds me how far James Woods has fallen from being an impressive multiple-Oscar-nominated-Emmy-winning actor.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If the U.S. has a president who listens to the scientists and says it's safe to have a red carpet with interviews, then maybe they will, but if lying asshole Trump is still in charge, the liberal leaning Academy will be reticent to show up. Who's gonna host? Scott Baio? James Woods? The Trump family?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

mlrg wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: Ideally, they will have a show, connecting with most, if not all, the nominees via Zoom. No red carpet, no backstage interviews, no nonsense, just the awards themselves with a longer in memoriam segment than usual They might even have to time to include this year's honorary winners. It could be a night to remember if they do it right.
They'll probably see how the Emmys will do it next week and follow suit . I'm guessing since the Oscars are in April now, it would be a bit safer to have a bit more of a live component to the show. Perhaps nominees can attend with masks and social distancing.

One thing's for sure: They need to have a host this year.
The Venice film festival had daily red carpets and a live awards show
But Italy was only having small daily growth in COVID cases and the Venice Film Festival undertook screenings and events in a 'COVID safe environment' whatever the fuck that means.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: Ideally, they will have a show, connecting with most, if not all, the nominees via Zoom. No red carpet, no backstage interviews, no nonsense, just the awards themselves with a longer in memoriam segment than usual They might even have to time to include this year's honorary winners. It could be a night to remember if they do it right.
They'll probably see how the Emmys will do it next week and follow suit . I'm guessing since the Oscars are in April now, it would be a bit safer to have a bit more of a live component to the show. Perhaps nominees can attend with masks and social distancing.

The Venice film festival had daily red carpets and a live awards show
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Tony awards are still problematic. Theatre awards that consider off-Broadway productions had more to choose from. The truncated Broadway season doesn't provide much choice. The Oscars can still happen. Nominations can be made and winners can be announced. Whether there will be a ceremony is another matter entirely.

Ideally, they will have a show, connecting with most, if not all, the nominees via Zoom. No red carpet, no backstage interviews, no nonsense, just the awards themselves with a longer in memoriam segment than usual They might even have to time to include this year's honorary winners. It could be a night to remember if they do it right.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll wrote:The way things are going with the pandemic picking up speed it really would be better to cancel the Oscars for this year and combine them with next years slate.
I doubt they're gonna do that. I mean, if the TONY AWARDS found a way to still push through this year, the Oscars sure as heck will. Even if it's gonna be a semi-virtual ceremony with mostly streaming films competing.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The way things are going with the pandemic picking up speed it really would be better to cancel the Oscars for this year and combine them with next years slate.

Aside from the fact that films are getting pushed back there are not many films in production so combining 2020 & 2021 together would seem a very viable option given that there isn't going to be a large slate for 2022 as things stand right now. Combining 2022 & 2023 may also be the best way to go depending how things progress over the next 12 months.

I appreciate that trying to carry on as usual or as close to usual is important but without a large slate of films it seems rather almost pointless. Unprecedented times calls for a temporary change in usual practices.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”