New Oscar Rules

For the films of 2020
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: New Oscar Rules

Post by OscarGuy »

There are plenty of talented people of color, women, LGBTQ, and disabled individuals. This is just making sure that the film industry doesn't continue to marginalize them. You guys are starting to sound like Republicans.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:
mlrg wrote:Academy of Motion Pictures Human Rights and Sciences
:P

It's not just the Academy. It's the whole country that has caught this virus.
Absolutely. When you place criteria on art that has nothing to do with actual artistic ability, then don’t be surprised when the quality of art declines. Creativity has nothing to do with filling out a checklist.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I really don't care what the Academy do so long as they or anybody else doesn't start telling me what I should watch based on race, sexual orientation, gender, etc, representation in film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Academy of Motion Pictures Human Rights and Sciences
:P

It's not just the Academy. It's the whole country that has caught this virus.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Academy of Motion Pictures Human Rights and Sciences
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Oh, and Magilla, unless they cast people with ACTUAL disabilities, it wouldn't really count and since the film itself isn't about people with disabilities, it most certainly wouldn't count.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Keep in mind that the on-screen actors credits aren't mandatory. There are areas B, C & D to choose two from. Historical films will obviously have an issue with option A, but as long as B & C or B & D or C & D are met, the film can still be eligible.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

These rules are meant to be inclusionary, not exclusionary.

The behind-the-scenes rules are long overdue. As for the on-screen rules, wouldn't the wounded soldiers in 1917 and Dunkirk meet the requirement for physical disabilities? It's a stretch I know, but still...
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

As always, it couldn't be easier to defend these rules because of the people against them. Goddamn, what an insane assemblage of conversations I've had over the last few hours. Truly insane! People asking me whether movies that weren't nominated anyway would be nominated under these new rules...

Here is the biggest shift that I can say: movies like Dunkirk or 1917 get nominated for Best Director but not Best Picture. Right? Neither would be eligible. And to be honest, I'm okay with that. I think that's sort of how they should be anyway. In reality, these rules would result in eight films being nominated instead of nine, but if not it would mean The Farewell would be nominated last year and I, Tonya in in 2017 (or Mudbound or The Big Sick). And I can live with both of those. I don't really like The Farewell, but that's the tradeoff for platforming, right?

The biggest issue I can see is it might prevent historical films from getting nominated. For example, unless you're counting the vast number of faceless Middle Easterners, I don't know if Argo gets nominated. But maybe it would encourage them to hire a Latino actor to play Tony Mendez. Argo aside, it pushes back against Great Man Histories. But maybe that's okay. Maybe we don't desperately need to be honoring Great Man Histories like we have in the past when there are so many other histories to be told.

Beyond this, clearly the biggest reason to do this is to assist to diversify systems behind the scenes.

NOTE: Most of my post is irrelevant. This twitter thread is very helpful.

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status ... gr%5Etweet
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think that it's because the systemic issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism are deeply rooted and it will take that long for the changes to fully implemented across the board. It would be a trial balloon if others hadn't already successfully implemented these requirements (see BAFTA).
Wesley Lovell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

It strikes me that the reason the Academy announced this several years in advance is it is a trial balloon.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

New Oscar rules require more inclusivity.

It won't take affect till the 96th but what is everyone's thoughts on this?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:More new Oscar rules but for the 94th Oscars.

- Starting on the 94th, it will be once again be a straight up 10 Best Picture nominees instead of the 5-10 rule.
Amen.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

More new Oscar rules but for the 94th Oscars.

- Starting on the 94th, it will be once again be a straight up 10 Best Picture nominees instead of the 5-10 rule.

- There will be Academy screenings in their streaming website EVERY QUARTER so smaller, earlier releases can get seen.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The closest I can think to this would be Spike Lee's filming of Passing Strange, which was released in theatres a decade ago not as an "event." It was not Oscar eligible.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “93rd Academy Awards”