Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short

For the films of 2019
anonymous1980
Laureate

Re: Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short

Post by anonymous1980 »

Okay. Finally saw Saria.

Saria - Based on a true story about a group of teenage girls living in a Guatemalan orphanage, I'm of two minds with this film. This feels like it could've been better if it had been a feature. On the other hand, it is fairly compelling, well-acted film with another shocking ending. 3.5/5

My rankings of the Live-Action Shorts:

In order of preference:

1. Nefta Football Club
2. The Neighbors' Window
3. A Sister
4. Saria
5. Brotherhood

In order of chances of winning:
1. Nefta Football Club
2. Brotherhood
3. Saria
4. The Neighbors' Window
5. A Sister
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short

Post by dws1982 »

We didn't get the Shorts program this year (probably due to the shortened season), but I'm glad to know that this lineup doesn't seem as miserable as last year's. That group of films was just the worst.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Categories One-by-One: Live-Action Short

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've seen 4 of them now. I could not find Saria online yet. If someone could point it out, I can complete this category. Anyway here's a quick review of them, along with the links to where you can see them yourself:

Brotherhood - Lots of odds makers say this is the front-runner. I honestly don't know why. It's beautifully made but hard to get into until its final moments. This would definitely not get my vote. (3/5)

Nefta Football Club - This is the lightest of the nominees. It ends with a real big punch line that actually got me applauding. If voters are feeling like awarding something cute, sweet and funny, this one will win. (4/5)

The Neighbors' Window - If the previous nominee ended with a big funny punchline, this one ends with a big emotional one. This film got me misty-eyed in the end. This is another contender for the win if voters want the one with the big emotional impact. (4/5)

A Sister - I don't know if the link works in the U.S. but, yeah. This one's the most "relevant" and important of the shorts I've seen. It's quite effective too. It was very suspenseful. I can see this as a possible upset winner too. (4/5)

If anyone can point me to Saria, I'd be grateful. But based on these four, it was tough but I'd go with Nefta Football Club,

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”