Categories One-by-One: Animated Short Subject

For the films of 2019
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Categories One-by-One: Animated Short Subject

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:
Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:How did you watch Daughter (Dcera) and Sister? I've watched the other three, but haven't been able to locate these two, and would hold off comment till I'm fully literate on the category.
Sister is on YouTube.
Could you provide a link? All I find on YouTube is the trailer.
It won't allow me to copy a link but it may be the wrong short film. Not the one nominated.

Please type in the search bar on YouTube:

#CreativityAtAPU - "Sister" - Short Animation Film
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Reza wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:How did you watch Daughter (Dcera) and Sister? I've watched the other three, but haven't been able to locate these two, and would hold off comment till I'm fully literate on the category.
Sister is on YouTube.
Could you provide a link? All I find on YouTube is the trailer.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All the Oscar nominated shorts will be in theatres Jan 29-31.

Go here to find your closest location:

https://shorts.tv/theoscarshorts/theatr ... Select=200
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sister is on YouTube.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

How did you watch Daughter (Dcera) and Sister? I've watched the other three, but haven't been able to locate these two, and would hold off comment till I'm fully literate on the category.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Categories One-by-One: Animated Short Subject

Post by FilmFan720 »

My daughter and I watched the five nominees last night, so I figured it would be a good time to start this thread. Overall, they are a really solid bunch, even if none of them completely jumped out at me.

I think running in last place is probably Daughter (Dcera). It is a very strikingly made stop-motion film about a daughter sitting at her father's death bed and flashing back to a relationship where they always struggled to communicate with each other. There are some cool visuals, but nothing in the film really grabbed me, and as the longest nominee, it is the one that I felt the length of the most (many of the others I was surprised when they were over).

Memorable is another stop-motion film, this time about an elderly couple dealing with dementia. It uses the animation really well in showing memory loss in a metaphor that I don't remember seeing before: things literally blow apart, drips come floating off of them, and people become either translucent shells of who they really are or unfamiliar monsters. The story is touching and the art work gorgeous. This might have been my personal favorite of the films, although I'm not sure if it is enough of a crowd-pleaser to win in this line-up.

Sister is a sweet little film about a boy and his baby sister that takes a very sharp turn about half-way through that really hooked me (especially after seeing one of my favorite documentaries of the year, which compliments this film very well). This is very well made, and if enough people check it out could be a darkhorse winner for feeling like the most "important" of the films this year. I don't want to say too much for those of you still to check these out.

But I think the race this year is between the two big studio pieces, which are widely available and accessible. Hair Love is a lot of fun. It deals with a very particular problem -- a black dad dealing with his daughters hair-- in a universal way, and is always enjoyable. Race is central to the story, yet as a (white) dad to two girls, I felt like I had been that dad at every turn. The fact that it was a kickstarter hit, and that Matthew Cherry is doing some good pushing around Hollywood right now, makes me think that it may be the frontrunner in this category.

But you can't discount Pixar, and Kitbull is yet another unique, charming, and poignant film. It is about the budding relationship between a pitbull and a little kitten that also takes some interesting turns along the way. Is this the darkest short Pixar has ever made? Maybe. But my daughter ate it up, and it has a perfect ending, and leaves you warm and wanting more.

If I was a betting man, I would go with Hair Love (or Kitbull, which many saw months ago on Disney Plus). Still glad I watched them all, though. A worthy 45 minutes.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”