BAFTA nominations

For the films of 2019
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: BAFTA nominations

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Tarantino didn't look too happy losing the original screenplay award to Parasite.
That look on Tarantino's face is nothing compared to David O. Russell's and to a lesser extent Jennifer Lawrence's reactions to Emmanuelle Riva's win for Amour. :lol: What poor deluded losers.

Edit: Had to look up Bong's win on YouTube to see what you were referring to as I didn't watch the show. Have zero interest in any of these award shows and have better things to do than watch the Oscar telecast too. I'm so over the Oscars in general, awards and most of the stuff made these days.

I also checked out the woman with the plastic gloves on YouTube - :shock: each to their own I suppose but I can't really point the finger at anyone given I spend most of my time in dirty, smelly t-shirts and shorts.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Tarantino didn't look too happy losing the original screenplay award to Parasite.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I not only watched them, I reviewed them here with a link to the PBS streaming presentation.

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=11837#p155217
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Dern made some lovely associations.
The problem is she's been making the same assertions all season long. This speech was almost identical to the one she made at the AARP awards for which her mother won an award for a different film a few years back.
If you watched the AARP awards, you have only yourself to blame.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:Dern made some lovely associations.
The problem is she's been making the same assertions all season long. This speech was almost identical to the one she made at the AARP awards for which her mother won an award for a different film a few years back.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I watched the show, or more accurately, watched some of it having fallen asleep just as they were about to present Best Supporting Actor and woke up as they were about to present Best Actor.

Once again, I wish they would either eliminate the red carpet portion or just show highlights instead of wasting a half hour on dead air. The woman interviewing the few actors who stopped by (Dern, Pacino and maybe one or two others) greeted them with plastic gloves. I've never seen anything so ridiculous at awards shows and believe me, I've seen a lot of ridiculous!

The best acceptance speech, of those I got to see, was Zellweger's. She started out awards season looking and acting like a deer caught in the headlights, but she has gotten better with every speech since. The worst was Laura Dern, who started out saying hers was the same award they gave her mother for an unnamed Scorsese film (it was Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore), then went into her usual (I'm paraphrasing) "I loved working with Noah and Greta on my two very different films this year" and (I'm still paraphrasing) "I love seeing all my old friends from all the TV work we've done together." It's really gotten old.

I also liked that Sam Mendes brought George McKay to the microphone to thank the crew on 1917 in accepting for Best Picture.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

nightwingnova wrote: The world is so interconnected that BAFTA is voting like Hollywood.
As I noted in the supporting actress discussion: BAFTA voters now include a significant chunk of American voters, including a good friend of mine who's no closer to British than Bong Joon Ho. They vote like Hollywood because many of them ARE Hollywood.

This was my annual "stay away from all film sites so you can watch BAFTA unspoiled" day (made an even longer abstention by the Super Bowl, which both occupied my attention and pushed the telecast later, in a presumably vain attempt to avoid ratings-slaughter).

As always, deeply sad that the hive mind took over and ruined potentially fun acting contests. Daniel Day-Lewis and Christopher Walken (2002) were the last actors to win SAG/BAFTA but not the Oscar; these acting races are in concrete. The winner speeches were pretty good -- Pitt's, in absentia, maybe the best, but Phoenix took a chance and got the crowd behind him; Dern made some lovely associations; and Zellweger gave her best oration of the season.

BAFTA and WGA don't often agree on either screenplay category, let alone both (2015 the only other time this decade that's happened). I will note that one recent time they agreed (Grand Budapest Hotel), Oscar differed. But more on that in the screenplay threads.

The 1917 sweep took in production design and visual effects, but still couldn't find a spot for poor Thomas Newman. He's now relying on hometown favoritism to end his drought.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Most relevant large surprise for me? Laura Dern - small role that any other decent actress in Hollywood would have done just as well. The world is so interconnected that BAFTA is voting like Hollywood.
Last edited by nightwingnova on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:- BAFTA cosigns all the SAG winners for acting. This means we're looking at a total repeat of Phoenix/Zellweger/Pitt/Dern. Of all of them, I'd say Zellweger is on the shakiest ground if only because support for Judy as a film is virtually nonexistent making her similar to last year's Glenn Close for The Wife. The difference is there's no performance like Olivia Colman to rally around.
I think you answered your own question.
Sabin wrote:- Does anybody love Toy Story 4? First the Golden Globes went for Missing Link, then the Annie Awards went with every other single film in protest. Now the BAFTA gives it to Klaus. I have no idea what is going to win but is Toy Story 4 going to lose?
Beginning with the failure of Frozen to receive an Oscar nod, I've thought that all these awards bodies were tired of awarding the same animation over and over and were looking for something different.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

SCATTERED THOUGHTS:
- 1917 was the big winner with seven awards, the most any film has won at the BAFTAs plus Best Film since The Artist . Last year, The Favourite won seven awards but lost Best Film. BAFTA has missed on predicting the last five Oscar winners (Roma, Three Billboards, La La Land, The Revenant, and Boyhood). That said, 1917 has to be considered a strong favorite on Oscar night.

- BAFTA cosigns all the SAG winners for acting. This means we're looking at a total repeat of Phoenix/Zellweger/Pitt/Dern. Of all of them, I'd say Zellweger is on the shakiest ground if only because support for Judy as a film is virtually nonexistent making her similar to last year's Glenn Close for The Wife. The difference is there's no performance like Olivia Colman to rally around.

- Jojo Rabbit has to be considered the favorite for Best Adapted Screenplay. Bafta has a shitty track record in this category but they've gotten the last two right.

- Little Women is probably the favorite for Costume over Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Bafta has correctly predicted Best Costume Design the past 8/10.

- Yesterday, the Art Directors Guild seemed to settle the Production Design question by giving it to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Not so fast. The BAFTAs gave it to 1917. They have been right 6/10 times while the ADG have been right 8/10. Coin flip.

- Parasite's screenplay win over Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is probably the biggest surprise. With a WGA and a BAFTA, this is the category to watch.

- Most Editing = Best Editing with the Academy. Even though Parasite won the ACE Award, Ford v Ferrari's BAFTA win may be more telling of an Oscar win.

- Does anybody love Toy Story 4? First the Golden Globes went for Missing Link, then the Annie Awards went with every other single film in protest. Now the BAFTA gives it to Klaus. I have no idea what is going to win but is Toy Story 4 going to lose?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Joker winning best casting, huh?
That is a bit of a head-scratcher but it did have the largest cast with all those extras playing clowns, didn't it?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Joker winning best casting, huh?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

WINNERS (still being revealed)

Film: 1917
British Film: 1917
Film Not in the English Language: Parasite
Animated Film: Klaus
Documentary: For Sama
Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Actress: Renee Zellweger, Judy
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Director: Sam Mendes, 1917
Original Screenplay: Parasite
Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
Casting: Joker
Cinematography: 1917
Film Editing: Ford v Ferrari
Production Design: 1917
Costume Design: Little Women (what do I know?)
Makeup & Hair: Bombshell
Sound: 1917
Visual Effects: 1917
Outstanding British Debut: Bait
Rising Star: Michael Ward

British Short Animation: Grandad was a Romantic
British Short Film: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
Last edited by Sabin on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Generally expected winners so far...though I missed 1917 for production design and Klaus for animated feature.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote: CASTING

JOKER Shayna Markowitz
MARRIAGE STORY Douglas Aibel, Francine Maisler
ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD Victoria Thomas
THE PERSONAL HISTORY OF DAVID COPPERFIELD Sarah Crowe
THE TWO POPES Nina Gold
Is this a joke or what.

What criteria do they use? Anybody know? Because I'll be damned if most people would think the casting of The Irishman, Little Women & Parasite isn't better than Joker, Marriage Story & The Two Popes.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”