LA Critics Winners

For the films of 2019
nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: LA Critics Winners

Post by nightwingnova »

Interesting that if we filter out the LA Critics' international tastes, a consensus is developing among the major critics about the year's best in American films.

Film: The Irishman (NY winner, LA RU)
Actor: Banderas (NY and LA winner)
Actress: N'yongo (NY winner, LA RU)
Featured Actor: Pesci (NY winner, LA RU)
Cinematography: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (NY and LA winner)

The National Society can tell us more as it tends to track NY's results since the membership of the groups overlap and it releases runner-ups and their vote totals.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Diane is streaming on Amazon Prime - $4.99 to rent.

https://www.amazon.com/Diane-Mary-Kay-P ... 162&sr=1-1
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote: Can anyone tell me how I can see Diane? I've had it in the Netflix queue for months, and it hasn't turned up.
It's streaming on Hulu.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

OK, so, the official awards are done (though maybe there'll be a New Generation prize in the specials). Some thoughts on the full set:

This is clearly good for Parasite, but sort of an expectable-good, as this is the veteran critics' group that has leaned toward foreign-language films for as long as I can recall. Reports had been that The Irishman was not as loved on the West Coast, so its runner-up positions for the two top awards came as a surprise, and indicates more widespread strength for Scorsese's film than I think a lot of people imagined.

Conversely, it seems a weaker-than-expected showing for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood -- this seemed a spot where Quentin would shine, but, according to the Brent Simon Twitter post, he wasn't even in sight for best director, and Pitt finished out of the money for supporting actor. It's still a very much in-flux best picture race this year.

Banderas' double-wins at NY/LA definitely boost his hopes of getting onto the Oscar ballot. Even a sweep via NSFC doesn't clinch it for him (as Ethan Hawke can attest), but I think he's getting a lot of help from these wins. Adam Driver finishing second means his Oscar campaign is very much alive, but he'll have to win at some prominent place (or at a lot of those regional groups) for a win to spring into view.

On the other hand, the guy the folks at Awards Worthy are sure will sweep the TV boards -- Joaquin Phoenix -- hasn't won anywhere yet, and, according to Simon's feed, wasn't even top four today, at a group that had The Dark Knight as runner-up best film. It's possible Phoenix is a Rami Malek waiting to happen, but we haven't seen many signs of it yet.

Some of the AWers were dismissive of the Mary Kay Place win -- lots of "who is she?", which is disconcerting to those of us who've loved her since Mary Hartman days. Can anyone tell me how I can see Diane? I've had it in the Netflix queue for months, and it hasn't turned up. I know she got excellent reviews for the film, but it still seems a Regina Hall type choice: unlikely to translate to any Oscar traction. In fact, the ironic result of all this out-of-the-box action from the big critics' groups might be to make the path easier for the laziest choice -- Zellweger -- to triumph at AMPAS.

I truly expected Brad Pitt to win here,and am very much surprised he didn't even manage a runner-up. Barring unexpected results from later groups or the Globes, the supporting actor race may have narrowed to Pitt vs. Pesci.

JLo's win was a boon for those of us who don't want to see supporting actress turn into a runaway (Dern's been taking the first regional groups, along with NY). The Globes and Broadcasters will be very interesting weighing in on a JLo vs. Dern race, and SAG as well.

Original screenplay feels like it could be a barn-burner race at the Oscars. Marriage Story's win here was its best news of the day, but it will have hefty competition from both Hollywood and Parasite. I'm presuming both those two will be ineligible at WGA (Quentin for his usual non-Guild status, Parasite for foreign-ness), meaning we won't even get a meaningful trial heat.

Apparently LA was OK with NY stealing its thunder in the Animated Feature category. I watched I Lost My Body the other night, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think it's the knockout that Spirited Away (the last Asian film to knock off Disney in the category) was, but on principle I'm pleased to root for it as a alternative to sequels.

I get that critics want to give as much assistance to foreign films as they can, and all hail Pain and Glory. But I've always felt that critics' groups should follow the lead of dog shows -- when a foreign-language film wins best picture, how about voting a best-of-opposite-breed prize (i.e., best English-language film)? I'd like to know what critics would choose in that instance.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Scattered thoughts:
- LAFCA had very LAFCA winners. NYCC had very NYCC winners. Now we're onto the National Society of Film Critics... and I must admit, I have no idea what NSFC winners are.
- I didn't do terribly in my predictions. I knew Jennifer Lopez would win somewhere, I just didn't know where. Parasite, Banderas, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Apollo 11, and I Lost My Body.
- I had a hunch that the critics weren't going to have much love for the largely agreed upon Best Actress hopefuls.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For those who like an even more expanded view of who competed in various categories (raising my hand excitedly), this person's Twitter feed provides the goods.

https://twitter.com/SharedDarkness
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

LA Critics Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

Lots of stuff today: a couple of second-tier critics (Toronto, DC, Philly), the Broadcasters release what BJ always called their list of predictions, and, the big one, LA. I'll update LA's winners here as they're presented -- winners followed by runners-up.

*LA voted best actor and supporting actor simultaneously to determine placement, but are sitting on the best actor result for now. However...the result listed below was leaked, and seems legit. I will change if it's found to be false, but for now I assume it's correct.(ON EDIT: They apparently realized it was out there, so no point denying it, and they posted it officially.)

Film: Parasite
[The Irishman]
Actress: Mary Kay Place (Diane)
[Lupita N'yongo (Us)]
Actor: Antonio Banderas(Pain and Glory)
[Adam Driver (Marriage Story)]
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lopez (Hustlers)
[Zhao Shuzhen (The Farewell)]
Supporting Actor: Song Kang Ho (Parasite)
[Joe Pesci (The Irishman)]
Director: Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)
[Martin Scorsese (The Irishman)]
Foreign-Language Film: Pain and Glory
[Portrait of a Lady on Fire]
Screenplay: Marriage Story
[Parasite]
Cinematography: Claire Mathon (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) & (Atlantics)
[Roger Deakins (1917)]
Production Design: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
[Parasite]
Editing: Apollo 11
[Uncut Gems]
Use of Music: I Lost My Body
[1917]
Animated Film: I Lost My Body
[Toy Story 4]
Non-Fiction Film: American Factory
[Apollo 11]
Last edited by Mister Tee on Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”