Possible Consolidation of the Two Sound Categories

For the films of 2019
MaxWilder
Graduate

Re: Possible Consolidation of the Two Sound Categories

Post by MaxWilder »

Mister Tee wrote:it was when they changed the titles of the categories that everything went awry. Everyone understood the difference between Achievement in Sound and Sound Effects
It really is that simple!

I'm guessing members of the sound branch don't like the term "sound effects," as it suggests people banging random objects together in front of a microphone. Was a fancier-sounding category name worth the mess it created?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Possible Consolidation of the Two Sound Categories

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
But asking laymen to suss out the fine line between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing led us here.
I personally think the problem is the name "Sound Editing" when "Sound Effects" is a much better description. It may not entirely describe the category but it would produce a crop of winners more reflective of the talents of both.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Possible Consolidation of the Two Sound Categories

Post by Mister Tee »

As dws well explicated last year -- and as Bohemian Rhapsody's inexplicable victory in Sound Editing made clear -- voters at large have shown they don't have a clue what the difference is between sound mixing and sound editing, and even the branch acknowledges having the two may now be redundant.

I'm telling you: it was when they changed the titles of the categories that everything went awry. Everyone understood the difference between Achievement in Sound and Sound Effects, and, while their winners could match in obvious circumstances, they often diverged. But asking laymen to suss out the fine line between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing led us here.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/ ... rs-1259773

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”