AARP Movies for Grownup Awards

For the films of 2019
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: AARP Movies for Grownup Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Filmed for PBS, this is now streaming:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/ ... zGkwnTw%3d

I watched it last night. It was a little awkward at times but featured the most heartfelt speeches of the season, all of them delivered without interruption and not a dull one in the bunch. Even the often annoying Tony Danza was congenial as the host: "I'm the anti-Ricky Gervais."

Pedro Almodovar was the first winner presented: "I got to meet Warren Beatty who was in a clip in my movie."

Noah Baumbach, introduced by Alan Alda, was next and very funny paying tribute to divorced parents, ex-wives and ex-husbands, acknowledging that Alda, who has been married to the same woman for 60 years, is the one who got it right.

Kasi Lemmons, introduced by a descendant of Harriet Tubman, owing to the seriousness of her film, was the only winner who didn't try to be funny, thanking all the women who worked on her film.

Linda Ronstadt, introduced by Maria "Midnight at the Oasis" Muldaur, remarked that "none of us thought we would still be here at 73."

Tom Hanks, on film, was mostly reverential of Mr. Rogers.

Laura Dern was introduced by her 84-year-old mother, Diane Ladd, who remarked "I told her not be an actress at 6, 10 and 14, but she snuck out behind my back and became one anyway." She thanked her mother anyway.

Don Johnson and Jamie Lee Curtis were next. Johnson, who is 70, recalled being so upset at receiving his welcome letter to AARP at 50 that he went out and had three more children.

Lulu Wang brought the actors who played her father (Tzi Ma) and grandmother (Shuzhen Zhao) to the stage with her and never mentioned Awkwafina.

Billy Crudup made a gushing introduction to Annette Bening, accompanied by a wealth of film clips, who paid tribute to her still living parents in their 90s as well as husband Beatty and her four children.

Adam Sandler was appropriately respectful but Renée Zellweger, introduced by a gushing Finn Wittrock was a revelation. With none of the cutesy-poo nonsense that marred her higher profile acceptance speeches, she seemed genuinely as enamored of Wittrock as he was of her: "I can't wait to see what you do next."

Finally, Scorsese, who had De Niro and Keitel at his table, seemed as happy as he ever has and extremely appreciative of the two actors who showed up for him: "Keitel was in my first movie and he was in Tarantino's first."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: AARP Movies for Grownup Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Winners:

Career Achievement: Annette Bening
Best Picture/Best Movie for Grownups: The Irishman
Best Actress: Renée Zellweger (Judy)
Best Actor: Adam Sandler (Uncut Gems)
Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
Best Supporting Actor: Tom Hanks (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood)
Best Director: Martin Scorsese (The Irishman)
Best Screenwriter: Noah Baumbach (Marriage Story)
Best Ensemble: Knives Out
Best Intergenerational Film: The Farewell
Best Foreign Language Film: Pain & Glory (Spain)
Readers’ Choice: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Best Time Capsule: Harriet
Best Documentary: Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice
Big Magilla
Site Admin

AARP Movies for Grownup Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

AARP releases Movies for Grownups nominees
By Mark Kennedy Associated Press Nov 29, 2019

NEW YORK — A new batch of film nominations are out from an influential media organization — but superhero flicks and “Frozen II” need not apply.

AARP has released nominations for its annual Movies for Grownups awards, designed to reward films that resonate with older viewers and fight industry ageism.

AARP The Magazine on Tuesday nominated “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” “Bombshell,” “Little Women,” “Marriage Story,” “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “The Farewell,” “The Irishman” and “The Two Popes” for the best picture/best movie category.

The best actress category includes Isabelle Huppert (“Frankie”), Helen Mirren (“The Good Liar”), Julianne Moore (“Gloria Bell”), Alfre Woodard (“Clemency”) and Renee Zellweger (“Judy”).

Competing for best actor will be Antonio Banderas (“Pain and Glory”), Robert De Niro (“The Irishman”), Eddie Murphy (“Dolemite is My Name”), Jonathan Pryce (“The Two Popes”) and Adam Sandler (“Uncut Gems”)

Tony Danza will host the awards Jan. 11 in Beverly Hills, California. The ceremony will be broadcast Jan. 19 on PBS. Annette Bening will be honored for career achievement.

“We must continue to lift up movies made for, by and about grown-ups — the stories that speak to moviegoers 50-plus,” Heather Nawrocki, vice president and director for Movies for Grownups at AARP, said in a statement.

The nominees for best supporting actress are Laura Dern (“Marriage Story”), Nicole Kidman (“Bombshell”), Jennifer Lopez (“Hustlers”), Maggie Smith (“Downton Abbey”) and Zhao Shuzhen (“The Farewell”).

The supporting actor category includes Jamie Foxx (“Just Mercy”), Tom Hanks (“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood”), Anthony Hopkins (“The Two Popes”), Al Pacino (“The Irishman”) and Brad Pitt (“Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”).

Awards also will be handed out for categories such as best screenwriter, best buddy picture, best time capsule, best documentary, best foreign language film and best ensemble.

Last year, Shirley MacLaine was honored for career achievement and “Green Book” was named best picture/best movie for grown-ups. Glenn Close earned best actress for “The Wife” and Viggo Mortensen best actor for “Green Book.”

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”