Netflix Oscar Season Rollouts

For the films of 2019
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Netflix Oscar Season Rollouts

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote:Unlikely anyone but Close is playing Norma because she is producing it.
Hugh Jackman has been "producing" a remake of Carousel since 2001. If and when Close's Sunset Blvd. starts filming, I'll believe it.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Unlikely anyone but Close is playing Norma because she is producing it.

Big Magilla wrote:Reza, by the time they get around to making Sunset Blvd., if they ever do, Close will either be dead or too old to play Norma. Actually, she's too old now at 73. The character is supposed to be 50.

If it were just about an old lady wallowing in her past glory it wouldn't matter, but how do you convincingly show a woman of her age now, let alone in a few years, in lust with a 20-something (30-something at best) writer? It's supposed to be a remake of the 1950 film, not Harold and Maude or The Thorn Birds. Maybe she could play Hattie ("Broadway Baby") in a film of Follies, another long-overdue project, if they make that while she still has her voice. Ethel Shutta, who originated the role, was Close's age now when she brought the house down on opening night.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza, by the time they get around to making Sunset Blvd., if they ever do, Close will either be dead or too old to play Norma. Actually, she's too old now at 73. The character is supposed to be 50.

If it were just about an old lady wallowing in her past glory it wouldn't matter, but how do you convincingly show a woman of her age now, let alone in a few years, in lust with a 20-something (30-something at best) writer? It's supposed to be a remake of the 1950 film, not Harold and Maude or The Thorn Birds. Maybe she could play Hattie ("Broadway Baby") in a film of Follies, another long-overdue project, if they make that while she still has her voice. Ethel Shutta, who originated the role, was Close's age now when she brought the house down on opening night.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

nightwingnova wrote:The reviews for Hillbilly Elegy are mainly out and they average a horrible 38 on Metacritic.

If those things matter to you, then you may find it an excuse to skip viewing the movie. I was dreading it, but think I won't miss it as even Glenn Close's yeoman performance may not emerge from such a disliked movie.
It would be hilarious if Close is nominated but loses to Olivia Colman.....again :lol:

With all these Broadway musicals being made and released on Netflix, I wish someone would get their act together and finally film Sunset Blvd with Close so she, at the very least, wins on merit.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

The reviews for Hillbilly Elegy are mainly out and they average a horrible 38 on Metacritic.

If those things matter to you, then you may find it an excuse to skip viewing the movie. I was dreading it, but think I won't miss it as even Glenn Close's yeoman performance may not emerge from such a disliked movie.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Romain Gary's 1975 novel was titled The Life Before Us so it's a return to its original title albeit not its original locale.

I was surprised Simone Signoret wasn't nominated for the original. I was surprised seeing Sophia Loren being considered a front-runner for the remake, but if she is nominated she will break two records - oldest Best Actress nominee at 86 and acting nominee with the longest stretch between nominations - 56 years.

This could be a record breaker for age in three of the four categories with Anthony Hopkins, 80, nominated for Best Actor, and Ellen Burstyn, 88, nominated for Best Supporting Actress along with Loren.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Also
The Life Ahead - Netflix 11/13
Sophia Loren regurgitates "La vie devant soi", better known as Madame Rosa, starring Simone Signoret.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Also
The Life Ahead - Netflix 11/13
The Prom - Netflix 12/11
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

This is a schedule I put together.

It helps a lot that most of the movies being talked about are Netflix ones or otherwise available via streaming, and will premiere on those services over the next couple of months.

Here’s the list of films (along with their streaming premiere dates) that the experts at GoldDerby think are the frontrunners for film, director, screenplays, actors, and actresses when awards season rolls around.

1. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – on Netflix now
2. Da 5 Bloods - on Netflix now
3. Never Rarely Sometimes Always – on video-on-demand now
4. On the Rocks – on Apple TV+ now
5. Hillbilly Elegy – on Netflix 11/24
6. Mank – on Netflix 12/4
7. Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - on Netflix 12/18
8. One Night in Miami – limited release 12/25, on Amazon 1/15
9. Soul – on Disney+ 12/25
10. Pieces of a Woman – Netflix has the distribution rights
11. Nomadland
12. The Father
13. Ammonite
Last edited by nightwingnova on Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla wrote:I know about the month free come-on, but thanks for the reminder. I'll probably sign-up later this month or early next month at the latest.
I did, I did, but for those who haven't, it's too late. Netflix has quietly dropped the option.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/netflix ... 42115.html
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I gave in to Netflix in November last year. The only film they have ever released in Australia was Roma and I only saw it at the cinema because it was part of a Latin American Film Festival and the its great acclaim. I didn't think it would get a cinema release - had I known that it would and that I would much care for it I would have happily watched it at home.

Aside from the Scorsese I think I can say with confidence that none of these Netflix films will be released in my part of the world at the cinema so I'd have no choice anyway but Netflix. And I don't want to sit through Scorsese's latest 'epic' at the cinema - a home viewing will suffice as I'm simply not interested in most of Scorsese's recent films anyway (Hugo, his George Harrison documentary and to a lesser degree The Wolf of Wall Street being the exceptions).

Funnily enough the Netflix film I'm really interested in is The Two Popes - everything else sounds like video fodder.

I was thinking of dumping Netflix for the first six months of next year and then signing back up but they usually have about three or so films a months that I'm prepared to watch so I'll just wait and see.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I know about the month free come-on, but thanks for the reminder. I'll probably sign-up later this month or early next month at the latest.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Looks like I may finally have to give in and sign up for the streaming service as none of these films will be playing in theatres anywhere near me.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/netfl ... 202168980/
Closer to the film rollouts get a month's free trial membership. It's offered here in my neck of the woods.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Netflix Oscar Season Rollouts

Post by Big Magilla »

Looks like I may finally have to give in and sign up for the streaming service as none of these films will be playing in theatres anywhere near me.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/netfl ... 202168980/

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”