2019 Venice Line-Up

For the films of 2019
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: 2019 Venice Line-Up

Post by Precious Doll »

Glad to see Ariane Ascaride score a best actress prize but the Venice line-up appeared to mostly pretty underwhelming.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
Also, I really think that Joker is going to be hurt by all of those "it's problematic" hot takes that will surely follow it. I suppose it could end up transcending that and going far, but Film Twitter is already out to get it, and it doesn't come out for month.
Film Twitter was out to get Green Book and look how that turned out.

Joker is going to be "The Most Controversial Movie of the Year." It's en route to gross $100+ mil opening weekend. It's going to be a big hit. At a certain point, it might just drag such a presence over the fall that it becomes undeniable around Oscar season, especially if The Hollywood Foreign Press recognizes it, which it may. If there's one thing we know about the Academy, it's that they're becoming steadily more diverse in what they choose to honor. But if there's another thing we know... y'know, Green Book so maybe not?

I don't love the idea of some incels feeling empowered by a Joker movie but my personal opinion is it's art and should be judged as such. That being said, there is no way that I am seeing this film in theaters. We already had a "Joker Shooting" not too long ago. We have a problem with shootings in this country and I'm scared.

Also, agree with your previous paragraph.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Polanski's Dreyfuss drama doesn't have a U.S. distributer
I wonder if it's as big a bore as The Life of Emile Zola?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Reza wrote:And Polanski getting the Jury prize. Now that won't bode well with many folks in the United States. With this and with Woody Allen's new film getting a release in Europe it shows that the europeans know how to keep an artist's personal and professional life separate.
In the publicity for this film, Polanski has repeatedly tried to draw parallels between the Dreyfus Affair and the condemnation he's received for drugging and raping a 13 year-old. He's not separating the art from the artist, why should we? I've never been one to automatically refuse to watch a filmmaker's work because they're garbage human beings, because that's an impossible standard to hold. But I will not be watching this film.

Also, I really think that Joker is going to be hurt by all of those "it's problematic" hot takes that will surely follow it. I suppose it could end up transcending that and going far, but Film Twitter is already out to get it, and it doesn't come out for month.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Polanski's Dreyfuss drama doesn't have a U.S. distributer, but U.S. audiences can see Louis Garrel who plays Dreyfuss as Professor Bhaer in Greta Gerwig's Little Women.

This may be the start of something big for The Joker.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This should in all probability propel Joaquin Phoenix to be the front runner for the best actor Oscar.

And Polanski getting the Jury prize. Now that won't bode well with many folks in the United States. With this and with Woody Allen's new film getting a release in Europe it shows that the europeans know how to keep an artist's personal and professional life separate.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: 2019 Venice Line-Up (updated with winners)

Post by Mister Tee »

Venice winners, guaranteed to make the Internet explode.

COMPETITION

Golden Lion: “Joker,” Todd Phillips

Grand Jury Prize: “An Officer and a Spy,” Roman Polanski

Silver Lion for Best Director: Roy Andersson, “About Endlessness”

Volpi Cup for Best Actress: Ariane Ascaride, “Gloria Mundi”

Volpi Cup for Best Actor: Luca Marinelli, “Martin Eden”

Best Screenplay: “No. 7 Cherry Lane,” Yonfan

Special Jury Prize: “The Mafia Is No Longer What It Used to Be,” Franco Maresco

Marcello Mastroianni Award for Young Actor: Toby Wallace, “Babyteeth”

HORIZONS COMPETITION (ORIZZONTI)

Best Film: “Atlantis,” Valentyn Vasyanovych
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Presumably, The Laundromat will be worthwhile. Steven Soderbergh hasn't really done anything that's put him in the awards conversation since Traffic and Erin Brockovich, but Behind the Candelabra, The Knick, and High Flying Bird were all very big deals.
Well, you know, it's hard to expect awards when you're retired.

The Baumbach film seems the one that has true advance buzz. Maybe it's his turn to make the awards leap that Anderson did with Grand Budapest Hotel.

It seems yet another year when we have to rely on surprises. Except for The Irishman, there's nothing on the Fall schedule that would create automatic high expectation.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm very excited for Noah Baumbach's Marriage Story. Noah Baumbach describes it as his most ambitious and personal film to date. While I haven't loved every film he's made this decade (only Frances Ha), his leap in visual storytelling makes anything he tackles a must see for me. He's working with some pretty venerable talent of recent Oscar nominees (Adam Driver, DP Robbie Ryan) and strong previous collaborators (editor Jennifer Lame). I'm now at an age where several of my friends have either gone through a divorce or speak of it regularly so it's certainly a subject on my mind.

I'm very excited for Seberg. Kristen Stewart has been circling an awards breakthrough for some time now with films like Personal Shopper, Certain Women, Still Alice, and Clouds of Sils Maria. Looks like this could be it.

Presumably, The Laundromat will be worthwhile. Steven Soderbergh hasn't really done anything that's put him in the awards conversation since Traffic and Erin Brockovich, but Behind the Candelabra, The Knick, and High Flying Bird were all very big deals.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Send me a PM. I cannot access it while at work and I never remember when I'm at home.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

2019 Venice Line-Up

Post by Mister Tee »

AGAIN: CAN SOMEONE INITIATE A 2019/92ND OSCARS FOLDER, AND MOVE BOTH THIS AND THE TORONTO LINE-UPS THERE?

Since the 2013 opening of Gravity, the first few Venice screenings have become major Oscar contenders: Birdman, Spotlight, Moonlight/La La Land/Arrival, The Shape of Water/Three Billboards, Roma/The Favourite. I can't say anything on this list gets me excited, but watch for whichever films are scheduled earliest.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/veni ... 203277662/

Return to “92nd Academy Awards”