91st Oscars: Picture

For the films of 2018
taki15
Assistant

Re: 91st Oscars: Picture

Post by taki15 »

MaxWilder wrote:
Sabin wrote:What I like about Green Book winning is at least it won't be forgotten. The Shape of Water, Spotlight, The Artist, The King's Speech... these movies are gone, distant memories before the night is even over. Green Book will stick in craws for years. Good.
9/11 won’t be forgotten either. That’s a virtue in itself?
I think that's his point. That "Green Book" will be remember for the wrong reasons (as one of the worst winners in Oscar history).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Two time Academy Award Winner Peter Farrelly. Never thought I'd see that happen.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Sabin wrote:What I like about Green Book winning is at least it won't be forgotten. The Shape of Water, Spotlight, The Artist, The King's Speech... these movies are gone, distant memories before the night is even over. Green Book will stick in craws for years. Good.
9/11 won’t be forgotten either. That’s a virtue in itself?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Green Book won three Oscars which seems to be the typical track record of the decade.

2012: Argo (Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing)
2013: 12 Years a Slave (Picture, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay)
2016: Moonlight (Picture, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay)
2018: Green Book (Picture, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay)

None of these four winners were really in the conversation for Best Director.

Likewise, Roma becomes the fifth movie this decade to win Best Director and Best Cinematography but not Best Picture. This is not a coincidence, I think. The Oscar races are increasingly becoming competitions between human stories and eye-popping spectacles, with the occasional intrusion of the cinephile bauble.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What I like about Green Book winning is at least it won't be forgotten. The Shape of Water, Spotlight, The Artist, The King's Speech... these movies are gone, distant memories before the night is even over. Green Book will stick in craws for years. Good.
"How's the despair?"
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

IMHO, Green Book's win reeks of play-it-safe mentality. Let's reward a film about racism, but not one that might scare away older, more conservative viewers like Black Klansman.
And despite all the talk it seems like the virulent anti-Netflix campaign was pretty effective at the end.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ordinary People tied with Tess for 6 each, the lowest number of nominations for a BP nominee in 1980.
Annie Hall tied with The Goodbye Girl for 5 each in 1980
In the Heat of the Night tied with The Graduate for 7 each in 1967
Grand Hotel obviously

A few have been close as second-least (or tied for second-least) nominated (Silence of the Lambs, Chariots of Fire, Midnight Cowboy, The Greatest Show on Earth, An American in Paris, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Broadway Melody, Wings)

Interesting tidbit, the two least nominated Best Picture nominees went home with the two biggest tallies (out of 10 nominations between them, Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody claimed seven awards).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Ordinary People was tied for last of the best picture nominees of 1980 as did Annie Hall in 1977.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Of the nominees for best film, Green Book was one of the least nominated and ended up being named BP. Is this a first? Please exclude the Grand Hotel anomaly...

The other one nominated the least ended up the biggest winner... this must be definitely the first time it happens.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'd rank it 83 on the list of 91 Best Picture winners just ahead of Crash, Cimarron, Tom Jones (yeah, I don't care for it, sue me), The Broadway Melody, The Greatest Show on Earth, A Beautiful Mind, Cavalcade, and Braveheart.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Hmmm.... I'd definitely place Green Book alongside Cimarron and Crash in terms of absolute worst.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

It's an okay film. I didn't find it as offensive as Woke/Film Twitter did. It's not Crash bad. This win feels more like a throwback to the Best Picture wins from the 1980's and 1990's rather than 2010's.

It at least spared us a Bohemian Rhapsody win.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's a film that would have been progressive in the 1960s, not quite as progressive in the 1980s, but regressive in the 2010s.
Wesley Lovell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Worst winner since last year. (Realistically, worst for me since Forrest Gump or so.)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

From David Ehrlich: "CRASH 2: THE CRASHENING!"

Return to “91st Academy Awards”