91st Oscars: In Memoriam

For the films of 2018
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: 91st Oscars: In Memoriam

Post by OscarGuy »

Finney did enough work in America to be well known. Olmi, who's name I recognize, isn't that familiar to me personally.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:It's too many unfamiliar, non-Americans to include.

Most of the foreigns from Ermanno Olmi to Albert Finny (both non-Americans) are known to varying degrees by audiences. Some gripe about the 'behind the scenes' people who tend to be less know but their contributions are just are valuable as those that are household names. Breaking it into two segments may be the only way to keep as many names as possible so as to keep the media and public complaints about omissions to a minimum, as there are always going to by ones that miss out that upset a group of people.

Goodness help them if a new version of the Spanish flu comes along this year and wipes out a quarter of the film industry (as well as the general population). They'll need two shows just to cover the lossess.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The problem the Academy is facing isn't one of too many too include. It's too many unfamiliar, non-Americans to include. As I was typing those names out during the in memoriam section, I was struck by just how many unfamiliar ones were foreign-born artists. It was almost as if they forced themselves to include more foreign names. Not a bad thing, mind you, but when you look over the list of names they didn't include, some of them incredibly important (like director/producer Michael Anderson) that it becomes obvious that they aren't making the right cuts.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Oscar.com has close to 300 names, close to 200 with full page pictures, another 80 or so listed without pictures.

All those mentioned here are included. Stanley Donen was inserted into the list.

I agree that showing just 50 during the ceremony segment is too few considering the rate at which people are dying, but where do you draw the line? I would hate to be the one having to make the decision as to who to include and who to leave out.
Wonder if they will include Stanley Donen next year on the show given how close his passing was to this years ceremony. Will have to wait a year to find out.

It's going to get harder to pick who to include as time goes on because the number of people in the film industry has swelled. I suppose one way about it would be to have two In Memoriam clips - one towards to beginning of the show and one towards the end.

Even the Academy's own website manages to miss some people out. I remember looking it up when Miklós Jancsó passed away. Whilst I didn't expect him in the TV coverage it was of note that he didn't even make the website listing. And he is not all that obscure - made some of the most striking films from Hungary during the late 1960's/early 1970's. He is certainly more widely seen in the English language film word than Mrinal Sen was.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oscar.com has close to 300 names, close to 200 with full page pictures, another 80 or so listed without pictures.

All those mentioned here are included. Stanley Donen was inserted into the list.

I agree that showing just 50 during the ceremony segment is too few considering the rate at which people are dying, but where do you draw the line? I would hate to be the one having to make the decision as to who to include and who to leave out.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

In the limited space of In Memoriam, all Oscar winners should be included, Azvanour is important for the great Shoot the Pianist, but I don't find all former Oscar nominees notable enough to film history to be included.
OscarGuy wrote:Carol Channing might have been famous for her theater work, but she was an Oscar nominee.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

OscarGuy wrote:Carol Channing might have been famous for her theater work, but she was an Oscar nominee.
Its surprising the number of people nominated for acting Oscars that have not been included over the years that Carol Channing & Sondra Locke have now joined: Dorothy McGuire, Peggy Lee, Diane Cilento, Joyce Redman and best supporting actress winner Dorothy Malone who all come to mind. No doubt there are more.

I'm a little surprised they didn't include Charles Aznavour & Francis Lai but we should be used to omissions by now. Pleasantly surprised that they included Nicolas Roeg and not surprised that they didn't include Mrinal Sen who really did deserve a mention. At to think that at the age of 95 they invited him to become an Academy member - he didn't live long enough to enjoy any screeners if he did join.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A few other names I had down as possible to show up:

R. Lee Ermey
Michael Anderson (director of Around the World in 80 Days)
Tom Rickman (screenwriter of Coal Miner's Daughter)
Scott Wilson
Francis Lai (Oscar-winning composer of Love Story plus A Man and a Woman) -- why Legrand but not him?
Charles Aznavour
Douglas Rain (the voice of HAL in 2001 -- I was sure they'd go with him)
...and a bunch of prominent producers: Phil D'Antoni (The French Connection), Arnold Kopelson (Platoon) and Gary Kurtz (Star Wars)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Carol Channing might have been famous for her theater work, but she was an Oscar nominee.
Wesley Lovell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:Dorothy Malone is missing.....or was she included last year?

Also missing are Sondra Locke and Carol Channing.
No, Dorothy Malone wasn't included last year :twisted:

Sondra Locke is a surprise omission. Not so much Carol Channing as she was most famous for her theatre work than film.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Dorothy Malone is missing.....or was she included last year?

Also missing are Sondra Locke and Carol Channing.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

91st Oscars: In Memoriam

Post by OscarGuy »

Susan Anspach
Ermanno Olmi
Richard Greenberg
John N. Carter
John Morris
Bernardo Bertolucci
Michel Legrand
Margot Kidder
Alixe Gordin
Neil Simon
Richard H. Kline
Vittorio Taviani
Elizabeth Sung
Francoisse Bonnot
Burt Reynolds
Kitty O'Neil
Pablo Ferro
Samuel Hadida
Raymond Chow
Pierre Rissient
Anne V. Coates
Paul Bloch
Shinobu Hashimoto
Richard Marks
Stephane Audran
Robby Mueller
Craig Zadan
Barbara Harris
Claude Lanzmann
Martin Bregman
Nelson Pereira Dos Santos
Will Vinton
Milos Forman
Witold Sobocinski
Dan Striepeke
Penny Marshall
Isao Takahata
Stephen Vaughan
Stan Lee
William Goldman
John M. Dwyer
Tab Hunter
Yvonne Blake
Nicolas Roeg
James Karen
Gregg Rudloff
Gloria Katz
Bruno Ganz
Audrey Wells
Albert Finney
Wesley Lovell

Return to “91st Academy Awards”