91st Oscars: Sound Editing

For the films of 2018
Greg
Tenured

Re: 91st Oscars: Sound Editing

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:No, sound editing is the creation of sound that wasn’t captured live. Think of an old radio foley table and anything on there.
That reminds me of this funny segment from the old TV series Get Smart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZy3yu7qbM

Ironically, the sound of the clip is somewhat poor.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There are two primary categories at the Motion Picture Sound Editors awards that explain the entirety of Sound Editing.

Sound Effects and Foley and Dialogue and ADR (automated dialog replacement)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:
Sabin wrote:I’ll say this... I never for a second was taken out by the lip syncing. That’s sound editing.
So, in this instance, sound mixing would involve the volume, pitch, and timbre of Mercury's voice; but, sound editing would involve how Mercury's voice matches Malek's lips?
No, sound editing is the creation of sound that wasn’t captured live. Think of an old radio foley table and anything on there. That’s what baffles people about this win...there doesn’t seem to be much in terms of creation here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't know how to say this for the umpteenth time in any other words except this: THERE WAS NO LYP-SYNCHING. Malick sang the songs which were later BLENDED with Mercury's own voice so if anything, it was Mercury's voice that had to match Malek's lips not the other way around.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Sabin wrote:I’ll say this... I never for a second was taken out by the lip syncing. That’s sound editing.
So, in this instance, sound mixing would involve the volume, pitch, and timbre of Mercury's voice; but, sound editing would involve how Mercury's voice matches Malek's lips?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:So, is anyone up to explaining the difference between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing and why Bohemian Rhapsody's win for Sound Editing is so much more egregious than its win for Sound Mixing?
At its simplist, sound mixing is putting the sounds together and sound editing is sound effects, but it's more complicated than that. Here's a fuller description from two years ago:

https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/sound- ... -in-video/
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I’ll say this... I never for a second was taken out by the lip syncing. That’s sound editing.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, is anyone up to explaining the difference between Sound Mixing and Sound Editing and why Bohemian Rhapsody's win for Sound Editing is so much more egregious than its win for Sound Mixing?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:Worst winner in the history of this category.
One of the worst winners in Oscar history, period.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Worst winner in the history of this category.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

91st Oscars: Sound Editing

Post by OscarGuy »

Bohemian Rhapsody
Wesley Lovell

Return to “91st Academy Awards”