Categories One-by-One: Original Score

Post by anonymous1980 »

The nominees:

Black Panther
BlacKkKlansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

This is another interesting category in which the presumed front-runner, First Man which won the Globe and the BFCA, got left off the list. BAFTA's no help since they their music award to A Star is Born for the songs since BAFTA doesn't have a Best Song category.

Looking at statistics, only one non-Best Picture nominee has won this since the expansion and that's The Hateful Eight and that's because the Academy wanted to give Ennio Morricone a competitive Oscar. This statistic favor Black Panther and BlacKkKlansman. The former has very showy, prominent score that mixes African flavors with the traditional superhero fanfare. The latter is composed by Terence Blanchard, a well-known and respected musician who is Spike Lee's go-to composer. Neither will surprise me as a winner.

However, I think I'm leaning towards Nicholas Brittel's If Beale Street Could Talk. It's a beautiful score and I think it could win on merit alone here especially if there are any fans who want to give it more than one award.

I personally love the score to Isle of Dogs but Alexandre Desplat just won last year and the Mary Poppins score might be deemed to derivative of the original to win. So I'm leaning towards Beale Street for now.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”