Anonymous Academy Members Ballots

For the films of 2018
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Anonymous Academy Members Ballots

Post by Reza »

MaxWilder wrote:
Reza wrote:I guess Jessica Lange (in Sweet Dreams) gets brownie points because Karel Reisz, the director of her film, was not a sexual abuser.

Rather a tedious bore having to constantly read folks relating someone's sexual kinks impacting another person's "performance". There is no co-relation whatsoever. Or is there? Malek may not have given the performance of the year but he did have a lot of other stuff to do in the film besides strutting or lip synching. Rather unfair to judge his "performance" (which was pretty good overall) just on his lip synching, bad reviews of the "film" and whatever the stupid director did in his off-duty hours.
So you agree with me. I'll ignore the creepy euphemisms ("kinks"?) and non-sequitur Jessica Lange reference.
Agree with you? Not really if you think Cooper was better than Malek.

My favourite male performances of the year:

1. Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
2. Joaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here
3. Ryan Gosling, First Man
4. Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
5. Rupert Everett, The Happy Prince
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Reza wrote:I guess Jessica Lange (in Sweet Dreams) gets brownie points because Karel Reisz, the director of her film, was not a sexual abuser.

Rather a tedious bore having to constantly read folks relating someone's sexual kinks impacting another person's "performance". There is no co-relation whatsoever. Or is there? Malek may not have given the performance of the year but he did have a lot of other stuff to do in the film besides strutting or lip synching. Rather unfair to judge his "performance" (which was pretty good overall) just on his lip synching, bad reviews of the "film" and whatever the stupid director did in his off-duty hours.
So you agree with me. I'll ignore the creepy euphemisms ("kinks"?) and non-sequitur Jessica Lange reference.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

nightwingnova wrote:There isn't. Artistic awards should be an artist's talent and product
Exactly and it's very possible that an artist can shine within a "product" that may not be received with overall critical acclaim.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

There isn't. Artistic awards should be about an artist's talent and product.

Reza wrote:
MaxWilder wrote:One lip-synchs* in a badly reviewed movie made by a sexual abuser.
I guess Jessica Lange (in Sweet Dreams) gets brownie points because Karel Reisz, the director of her film, was not a sexual abuser.

Rather a tedious bore having to constantly read folks relating someone's sexual kinks impacting another person's "performance". There is no co-relation whatsoever. Or is there? Malek may not have given the performance of the year but he did have a lot of other stuff to do in the film besides strutting or lip synching. Rather unfair to judge his "performance" (which was pretty good overall) just on his lip synching, bad reviews of the "film" and whatever the director did in his off-duty hours.
Last edited by nightwingnova on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

MaxWilder wrote:One lip-synchs* in a badly reviewed movie made by a sexual abuser.
I guess Jessica Lange (in Sweet Dreams) gets brownie points because Karel Reisz, the director of her film, was not a sexual abuser.

Last edited by Reza on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

I truly can't believe where we are. For months I scoffed at people who thought Rami Malek would beat then-frontrunner Bradley Cooper. One lip-synchs* in a badly reviewed movie made by a sexual abuser. The other acts, sings, composes, writes, directs, maybe even caters, and his film is a critical and commercial smash. Did those HFPA clods single-handedly set the final outcome? I'll be traveling next week and unable to watch (first time in 20+ years) and I'm strangely fine with that.

* There's singing and there's not-singing. All this talk of "blending" and overdubbing is labored PR.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The writer for the Times piece betrays his own prejudices with comments like: "One vinegary older voter compared superhero films to “the stuff that oozes out of dumpsters behind fast-food restaurants.” Then he confessed that he hadn’t yet seen “Black Panther." Eek."

It's wrong for voters not to have seen everything if they can, and hopefully the guy will before he votes, but it wasn't necessary to paint a picture of one of his interviewees as an old geezer and throw in "eek" to impress readers that he's on the side of the angels. After all, he did seek him out.

That aside, the article pretty much sums up what I think we already know about the way Academy members feel about the nominees, a lot of which I agree with.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

More reporting on anonymous members ballots

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/movi ... &smtyp=cur
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

I want that writer lady to explain to me what are the risks "Black Panther" took. This is one of the most cookie-cutter films out there.
Reading this kind of opinions I'm starting to understand how Trump got elected.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Another anonymous Oscar voter weighs in:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/anony ... 202043236/
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

This person may sound like a "real dick" but it's probably how actual Academy voters, by and large, think before voting.

It's a waste of time getting disappointed over actual winners who may not be our own personal favourites.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

He probably confused the Oscar nominees with the DGA nominees.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

That guy seems like a real dick.
And seriously, he was unaware that Farrelly wasn't nominated?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Anonymous Academy Members Ballots

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's one interviewed by Michael Musto at the Daily Beast:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anonymous ... n-rhapsody

Return to “91st Academy Awards”