Details of the February 24th Presentation

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Details of the February 24th Presentation

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't remember when the practice of introducing clips of each film separately began, but it's a fairly recent phenomenon - this century I believe. :?
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:If time is the issue, the first thing they should eliminate are all those ridiculous introductions to "scenes from the Best Picture nominees" which are nothing more than snippets from the trailers that everyone has seen a thousand times. If they must show the snippets, then show them as a montage before the last envelope is opened without big name stars introducing them.
They already did this at least once (2010, I think) and it worked, although not for shortening the show... the montage was oddly done using the score of The King's Speech, which was perceived as a last unwelcomed but contundent foreshadowing of the eventual result.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote: Maybe next year the people in charge of the Academy Awards should not HATE the Academy Awards.
This is really the key here. Everything they're doing is based on the critiques of people who'd just as soon the show not exist.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

If time is the issue, the first thing they should eliminate are all those ridiculous introductions to "scenes from the Best Picture nominees" which are nothing more than snippets from the trailers that everyone has seen a thousand times. If they must show the snippets, then show them as a montage before the last envelope is opened without big name stars introducing them.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Sufjan Stevens’ nominated song was slated to be cut from the telecast, although after considerable feedback, it was ultimately included as part of a medley”.

Wasn’t his performance an individual one? Can not remember it as part of a medley...
Yeah, as far as I recall, it was individual. But I remember it felt truncated compared to the rest of the songs; I commented on that in my post-show rant last year.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sufjan Stevens’ nominated song was slated to be cut from the telecast, although after considerable feedback, it was ultimately included as part of a medley”.

Wasn’t his performance an individual one? Can not remember it as part of a medley...

This is absurd... every single time they do this it’s just wrong... everybody aknowledges this except for the producers. Hope they won’t procede with this really bad idea.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Big stars ONLY. Everyone else, we're going to pretend they don't exist.

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/os ... 203117143/

You wouldn't think any administration could rival the Trump gang for image incompetence, but John Bailey's been giving it a go.
And the people who are considered “not big enough” include Jennifer Hudson and Emily Blunt.

Maybe next year the people in charge of the Academy Awards should not HATE the Academy Awards.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Details of the February 24th Presentation

Post by Mister Tee »

Big stars ONLY. Everyone else, we're going to pretend they don't exist.

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/os ... 203117143/

You wouldn't think any administration could rival the Trump gang for image incompetence, but John Bailey's been giving it a go.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”