Reactions

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Reactions

Post by Big Magilla »

I think if more people realized that the cinematographer of Never Look Away was Academy favorite Caleb Daschenal, the nomination would not have come as such a surprise. It's his sixth nomination. His first was for the Hollywood grandfather of First Man, The Right Stuff. He lost that one to Sven Nykvist for the foreign language film, Fanny & Alexander. It would be ironic if he finally wins for a foreign language film himself.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Biggest snub of the year: Won't You Be My Neighbor missed Best Documentary. We've been down this road before with this branch. Well, maybe RBG herself will show up on Oscar night to collect.

This Oscar race started locked up (with A Star is Born) and has turned into a ride. If somebody said they wanted to get off, I wouldn't blame them. But I'm having fun.

But what I'm gathering from this board aren't reactions to nominations... but reactions to confirmations that we had suspected. No, they didn't love A Star is Born, although it's one of the only movies where eight nominations is seen as a disappointment. Yes, they like Green Book but, no, Peter Farrelly isn't one of the best directors. Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Spike Lee didn't so much get nominated as "make it through."

On a personal note for me, my first Oscars were the ceremony in 1996 where Apollo 13 and Sense and Sensibility went from front-runners to also rans when they missed out on Directing nomination. I say this because if this turns out to be the last Academy Awards (lol), it's nice to go out as I started.

A few things didn't hit like we thought but it's not too surprising in retrospect. It's great that Paul Schrader has a nomination under his belt, but it's sad that Ethan Hawke didn't make it in. Timothee Chalamet missing a nomination isn't too surprising considering the soft grosses for Beautiful Boy. I had a feeling that Burning was just too weird for the Academy. My hunch that Black Panther's VFX would be crowded out proved correct.

Nobody on planet earth predicted Never Look Away for Best Cinematography. And weren't The Coen Brothers being pushed for Best Original Screenplay for Buster Scruggs? Good showing for Cold War.

And a single candle remains lit for First Man, the movie that almost nobody on Earth wanted to see in 2019, missing out on nominations for Best Original Score, Cinematography, and Film Editing, all of which Team Chazelle had previously won. Why on (or off) Earth did they not release this film next year on the fiftieth anniversary of the moon landing?

Categories with no front-runners: Best Original Score (Beale Street?), Film Editing (Bohemian Rhapsody?), Sound Mixing and Editing (First Man?), and I still say Supporting Actress is up in the air.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The only thing I got completely right, aside from Foreign Language Film, was saying that First Man and If Beale Street Could Talk were the two most vulnerable of the ten almost unanimously predicted Best Picture nominees. Black Panther, which I said was the third most vulnerable did ok, but not as well as expected.

A Star Is Born is the bigger loser, though, with just 8 of its generally predicted 10 nominations. I thought Bradley Cooper's lest likely nod was for writing, not directing, but happy to see Pawel Pawlikoski nominated in his place there. Now if only someone else had taken out Adam McKay.

Happy to see Willem Dafoe nominated, but would have rather he replaced Christian Bale than Ethan Hawke.

No issue with the Best Actress nominees.

Sam Rockwell's nomination is easily the most ridiculous of the bunch in Supporting Actor. Surprisingly, he replaced Timothée Chalamet rather than Sam Elliott. Robert Forster in What They Had remains the year's most overlooked supporting actor.

No Claire Foy or Nicole Kidman in supporting actress makes it an easy win for Regina King unless they go overboard for Roma or decide 6 is the magic number for Amy Adams.

In other categories it was nice to see foreign language films that are not Roma get some notice with Cold War and Never Look Away getting cinematography nods.

I guess the big question now is will Roma win both Best Picture and Best Foreign Language Film or will they go for something else in one of the two categories.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:The Shrader nod for Screenplay made me thought Hawke had survived...
Different branches vote for nominations.

One of the most surprising things about the nominations list is that not one but TWO front-runners for Documentary Feature got snubbed, Three Identical Strangers AND Won't You Be My Neighbor.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

flipp525 wrote:Is Marina de Tavira the first supporting nominee from a foreign film since Valentina Cortese for Day for Night? I’m really happy for her nomination. I thought she was excellent in Roma.

Sam Rockwell’s might be a “honeymoon nomination” but at least his performance in Vice is an actual supporting one. I’m also really glad that Sam Elliott survived the deflation of A Star is Born. He gives the best performance in the film.
When predicting supporting we really should just side with the candidate supported by a best picture nominee when it comes to final slots. Rockwell over Chalamet. De Tavira over Foy.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Also A24 had a really disappointing year.

Who woulda thought Netflix would the oscar before the Emmy?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Netflix had quite a day, not only with ROMA but with the over-performing Buster Scruggs too!

That documentary category is crazy, and I've only seen 2, but from what I understand, much more solid than usual. We could see a shift in that category to a different type of documentary doing well.

Also, the change in membership shows up significantly in cinematography, where we have 3 foreign nominees!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Is Marina de Tavira the first supporting nominee from a foreign film since Valentina Cortese for Day for Night? I’m really happy for her nomination. I thought she was excellent in Roma.

Sam Rockwell’s might be a “honeymoon nomination” but at least his performance in Vice is an actual supporting one. I’m also really glad that Sam Elliott survived the deflation of A Star is Born. He gives the best performance in the film.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Marina de Tavira is up for Supporting Actress (the curve ball no one saw coming)
Entertainment Weekly has a new Oscar watcher who listed her as a 'safe bet.' When I saw that I dismissed them as unqualified to have a column. Oops.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Shrader nod for Screenplay made me thought Hawke had survived...

The two “artistry” Director choices made it, but in the process they dumped out the one most people thought was among the assured.

Green Book and A Star is Born Failde to get Director love. Does this mean Roma can go all the way with no serious competition?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Some good. Some bad. Very little great. Some atrocious.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

A few things:
- No Cooper for Director
- Cuarón failed to get a nod for Film Editing.
- Not only Aparicio got the nod, but also Marina de Tavira is up for Supporting Actress (the curve ball no one saw coming). This speaks volume about Roma’s support.
- Black Panther deservedly is out of Visual Effects, but it failing to appear in Makeup and Hairstyling is, at least to me, kind of shocking.
- The Golden Globe for Original Score is officially some sort of doom.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

When Marina de Tavira popped up, I knew "Roma" was off and running. Bradley Cooper goes down for Best Director and I kind of saw it coming. And they REALLY threw Sam Rockwell in there?!
Last edited by Aceisgreat on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
MaxWilder
Graduate

Reactions

Post by MaxWilder »

I give up trying to predict these things.

Willem Dafoe? Who knew enough people even saw that? Maybe people caught The Florida Project on Amazon Prime and felt bad about last year. Baffling.

Green Book's PGA win turned me into the world's biggest fan of Roma. This new me feels pretty good about these nominations.
Last edited by MaxWilder on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”