Reactions

For the films of 2018
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Reactions

Post by Heksagon »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm not sure Free Solo counts as an IMAX documentary, but if it does, does this make it the first IMAX documentary nominated for documentary feature?
By coincidence, I just noticed that there's Fires of Kuwait, which received a nomination for Documentary Feature back in 1992 - in spite of being under 40 minutes long.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:I just realized that by Foy not getting in Supporting Actress, Chazelle fell short in being one of the few directors to get his actors acting nominations in all 4 categories. And he would have done this in just his first 4 films. Does anyone have the updated list of directors to achieve this? And who did it in the shortest ammount of time or releasing the fewest films?
Also, had Foy been nominated, Makeup & Hairstyling would be the ONLY regular (non-specialty film) category that a Chazelle film had NOT been nominated in.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Of course, of course!

Kazan also beat Wyler to directing a nominee to an honorary award - Peggy Ann Garner in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn the year before Harold Russell in The Best Years of Our Lives.

And yes, yes on Mike Nichols.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote: Elia Kazan got nominees in three of the four categories with his fourth film (Gentleman's Agreement) and hit all four categories with his seventh (A Streetcar Named Desire).
By the time Gentleman's Agreement scored nominations for actor, actress ans supporting actress(es), Kazan had already had the distinction of directing a winner of the best supporting actor category - James Dunn for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:I just realized that by Foy not getting in Supporting Actress, Chazelle fell short in being one of the few directors to get his actors acting nominations in all 4 categories. And he would have done this in just his first 4 films. Does anyone have the updated list of directors to achieve this? And who did it in the shortest amount of time or releasing the fewest films?
It happened as early as it could have - the first year they had 4 acting categories (1936), the cast of Gregory La Cava's My Man Godfrey scored a nomination in each of the categories.
Considering that this was his 167th film (including shorts) out of a career total of 174, it doesn't answer the second question.

William Wyler got all four on his 55th with Mrs. Miniver, but hit all four categories two years earlier with Supporting Actor winner Walter Brennan in The Westerner, following nominees Laurence Olivier and Geraldine Fitzgerald in Wuthering Heights and Best Actress winner Bette Davis in Jezebel.

Fred Zinnemann did it on his 35th with From Here to Eternity with nominees in all four categories having previously gotten Best Actor nods for Montgomery Clift in The Search and winner Gary Cooper in High Noon and a Best Actress nod for Julie Harris in The Member of the Wedding.

Elia Kazan got nominees in three of the four categories with his fourth film (Gentleman's Agreement) and hit all four categories with his seventh (A Streetcar Named Desire).

Arthur Penn, though, I think is the answer to the question. He directed Best Actress and Supporting Actress nominees to wins on his second film (The Miracle Worker) and had one nominee in Best Actor, Actress and Supporting Actress (the winner) and two nominees in Supporting Actress on his fifth film (Bonnie and Clyde).
Thanks Magilla... surely my English/phrasing was misguiding... You got my question right.

But as I'm writing this, I think FilmFan720 has given us the proper answer by reminding us Nichols.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mike Nichols did it on his film debut. Warren Beatty on his second film.

And Inarritu did it on his fourth feature.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:I just realized that by Foy not getting in Supporting Actress, Chazelle fell short in being one of the few directors to get his actors acting nominations in all 4 categories. And he would have done this in just his first 4 films. Does anyone have the updated list of directors to achieve this? And who did it in the shortest amount of time or releasing the fewest films?
It happened as early as it could have - the first year they had 4 acting categories (1936), the cast of Gregory La Cava's My Man Godfrey scored a nomination in each of the categories.
Considering that this was his 167th film (including shorts) out of a career total of 174, it doesn't answer the second question.

William Wyler got all four on his 55th with Mrs. Miniver, but hit all four categories two years earlier with Supporting Actor winner Walter Brennan in The Westerner, following nominees Laurence Olivier and Geraldine Fitzgerald in Wuthering Heights and Best Actress winner Bette Davis in Jezebel.

Fred Zinnemann did it on his 35th with From Here to Eternity with nominees in all four categories having previously gotten Best Actor nods for Montgomery Clift in The Search and winner Gary Cooper in High Noon and a Best Actress nod for Julie Harris in The Member of the Wedding.

Elia Kazan got nominees in three of the four categories with his fourth film (Gentleman's Agreement) and hit all four categories with his seventh (A Streetcar Named Desire).

Arthur Penn, though, I think is the answer to the question. He directed Best Actress and Supporting Actress nominees to wins on his second film (The Miracle Worker) and had one nominee in Best Actor, Actress and Supporting Actress (the winner) and two nominees in Supporting Actress on his fifth film (Bonnie and Clyde).
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Uri wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:I just realized that by Foy not getting in Supporting Actress, Chazelle fell short in being one of the few directors to get his actors acting nominations in all 4 categories. And he would have done this in just his first 4 films. Does anyone have the updated list of directors to achieve this? And who did it in the shortest ammount of time or releasing the fewest films?
Yes, but it took La Cava 31 films (in 15 years) to accomplish this. By the time he released My Man Godfrey, he accomplished the feat with the supporting nods, as two previous films of him landed nods for both Leading Actor and Actress.

By the way, La Cava´s films earned a total of 16 Academy Awards nominations, bot none of them won a single award... this may be a matter for a different trivia/record... Director whose films got the most nominations without winning.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I just realized that by Foy not getting in Supporting Actress, Chazelle fell short in being one of the few directors to get his actors acting nominations in all 4 categories. And he would have done this in just his first 4 films. Does anyone have the updated list of directors to achieve this? And who did it in the shortest ammount of time or releasing the fewest films?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The Original BJ wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:The answer to both is no -- but to the question, was there ever a time it MIGHT have happened?
And maybe Liv Ullmann joining Bergman in Best Actress for Autumn Sonata, and Carmen Maura in Supporting Actress to accompany Cruz for Volver (to cite options where at least one candidate DID get an Oscar nom.)
Some may argue that Jean Dujardin & Berenice Bejo in The Artist count. Whilst it was silent, it was basically a French film, filmed in LA and set in the silent era of Hollywood.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote: I still don't get what was so horrifying about the film to cause mass walk outs. I understand two kids kidnap another kid and then proceed to brutally murder him......or is that the true story plot of the Oscar nominated short film? Well yes graphic violence against anyone, including kids, is disturbing but no more disturbing than countless films which show violence, blood and gore which most of us calmly sit through.
In relation to the Polish film I think it had to do with the element of surprise. People were simply not expecting a fictional film to show a blow by blow account of from when James Bulger was led away to his death. Keep in mind that the film wasn't about that crime but used it as the climax of fictional events that occurred earlier in the film.

The short film from my understanding is based on police transcripts and given the title 'Detainment' - I doubt very much the actual crime is played out, at least visually, though there could be references to it verbally.

I think the big difference between films based on actual crimes as opposed to fiction is the impact on relatives and friends of the victims. In the case of James Bulger his parents have had to live with this since its happened every day of their lives. Not only did they have to endure a trial but persistent media coverage on the perpetrators Jon Venables and Robert Thompson over the years. Its worth noting that Venables has ended up back in prison but less serious offences but nevertheless appear to be a deeply troubled individual. This doesn't excuse him only helps to explain why.

James Bulger's parents really could do without filmmakers adding to their on-going grief. This case is one of the most emotive in recent British history.

The whole issue of portraying real life crime in cinema & TV is really going to come under the microscope this year. Its 50 years since the Manson murders and three films are due to be released this year in relation to them, all featuring Sharon Tate as well as the second series of Mindhunter which will feature a portrayal of Charles Manson (played by the same actor playing Manson in the Tarantino film).

To add some irony to the nomination for Detainment, it will be 26 years since the murder of James Bulger on 12 February 1993.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:The answer to both is no -- but to the question, was there ever a time it MIGHT have happened?
And maybe Liv Ullmann joining Bergman in Best Actress for Autumn Sonata, and Carmen Maura in Supporting Actress to accompany Cruz for Volver (to cite options where at least one candidate DID get an Oscar nom.)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

danfrank wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:QUESTION! Is Roma the first foreign language film to get TWO acting nominations?
Yes. One could argue that Babel, with nominations for Adriana Barraza, whose character spoke primarily Spanish, and Rinko Kikuchi, whose character spoke a Japanese version of sign language, might qualify. But... you can’t really call Babel a foreign language film.
Since, as we mentioned below, Valentina Cortese in Day for Night was the only previous supporting nominee in a legit foreign-language film (as opposed to a film with some characters subtitled, like Babel or Godfather II), this question basically comes down to: 1) have there ever been two lead actors or actresses nominated for the same foreign language film or 2) has their ever been a lead actor/actress tandem from a foreign film?

The answer to both is no -- but to the question, was there ever a time it MIGHT have happened?...I'd say, for the first part, again no. But for the second, I can imagine, in a different year, with a thinner field on the other side, Max von Sydow joining Liv Ullmann for The Emigrants, Sophia Loren being nominated alongside Marcello Mastroianni for A Special Day (that might have happened in years just around, but 1977 was an unusually bountiful actress group), or, more recently and perhaps the most credible possibility, Jean-Louis Trintignant joining Emmanuelle Riva for Amour.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

anonymous1980 wrote:QUESTION! Is Roma the first foreign language film to get TWO acting nominations?
Yes. One could argue that Babel, with nominations for Adriana Barraza, whose character spoke primarily Spanish, and Rinko Kikuchi, whose character spoke a Japanese version of sign language, might qualify. But... you can’t really call Babel a foreign language film.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”