Reactions

For the films of 2018
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: Reactions

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Original BJ wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Question: 3 foreign language films are nominated for Cinematography. Has that ever happened before?
2004 technically would qualify — The Passion of the Christ, A Very Long Engagement, and House of Flying Daggers — even though one of those was an American film.
And unlike this year, none of them was up for Best Foreign Language Film (TPOTC certainly couldn’t be up for that award).
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

The Original BJ wrote:Reza, do you still think Colman's chances of winning Best Actress are ZERO?
Actually, YES!!

I think you guys are maybe underestimating Close's performance and are focusing instead more on the fact that she is in a small, somewhat inconsequential film. Not only is she due, of course, but on its own merits her performance sharply stands out even if its in a quiet and not flamboyant way.

I think she will also win the Bafta :lol:
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Alfonso Cuaron is the first four-time nominee since the Coen Brothers in 2007.

We have four possible repeat winners from last year: Jordan Peele, Sam Rockwell, Alexandre Desplat, and Paul Lambert.

This is Scott Rudin's first nomination outside of Best Picture.

Steven Spielberg extends his all-time record with the 130th nomination for one of his films. That's a record that may never be broken!

Neat tidbit: Although this is Rob Epstein's third nomination (he won both other times), this is technically the first nomination for his partner Jeffrey Friedberg.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Mister Tee wrote:The Coens have a long way to go to catch Woody Allen, but by my count this is their 6th writing nod.
7th. I'm assuming you forgot about Bridge of Spies!

Their 15th overall nomination, though. Not too shabby.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote: Never Look Away has to be the single most surprising nominee in my years of Oscar-tracking. Although, like others say, it's less surprising when you see Caleb Deschanel's name as the cinematographer. I didn't realize it was even eligible outside of Foreign Film. I see Sony Pictures Classics has put this on the schedule for a release this weekend (as of last week it was still listed as TBD).
It goes into wider release this weekend. According to IMDb. it had a limited U.S. release on 11/30/2018, likely an Oscar qualifying run in L.A.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:What about the nominations presention? I thought it was way more classy than last year
Greg wrote:I thought Najiani and Ellis Ross milked the too-early-in-the-morning joke way too much.
What I saw of them I thought was just great, although to be fair I had to cut them off early as the technician had arrived in the midst of it to perform my yearly boiler and hot water heater maintenance.

Someone said after the first segment that "we've found our hosts." I thought., "hmmm, maybe the Academy is testing them out."
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mister Tee wrote: the only three movies that got the key film/director/screenplay/editing combo were BlackkKlansman, The Favourite and Vice -- none of which have been seriously spoken of as best picture front-runners.
To carry this thought further in the "traditionally needed precursor" category...

The Favourite, by virtue of missing the DGA nomination, should drop off, as well.

And Vice failed to get the SAG Ensemble nod.

So...BlackkKlansman is our front-runner?

Oh, and my favorite stat of the day: Viggo Mortensen is, for the first time, not his film's sole nomination. And also, for the first time, gets nominated without showing his dick.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Mahershala Ali who won the Supporting Actor Oscar for Moonlight (2016) presented the Supporting Actress Oscar to Allison Janney for I, Tonya (2017). Now, she has the opportunity this year to hand it back to him for Green Book which is likely to happen as he is the heavy fave.

This reminds of:

Joan Crawford presenting to Maximilian Schell (1961) who presented back to Joan, accepting for Anne Bancroft (1962)

Greer Garson presenting to Burt Lancaster (1960) who presented back to Greer, accepting for Sophia Loren (1961)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote:Question: 3 foreign language films are nominated for Cinematography. Has that ever happened before?
2004 technically would qualify — The Passion of the Christ, A Very Long Engagement, and House of Flying Daggers — even though one of those was an American film.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Live-stream cut out during Adapted Screenplay (our wifi network went down), so I missed the last few categories.

Never Look Away has to be the single most surprising nominee in my years of Oscar-tracking. Although, like others say, it's less surprising when you see Caleb Deschanel's name as the cinematographer. I didn't realize it was even eligible outside of Foreign Film. I see Sony Pictures Classics has put this on the schedule for a release this weekend (as of last week it was still listed as TBD).

Hated to see First Man come up short in so many categories. I would've nominated it across the board, and was hoping for a real rooting interesting in Best Picture (although I know it wouldn't have won). Disappointing Best Picture lineup overall--of the six I've seen, I like three of them (BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, and [i}A Star is Born[/i] fine, but probably wouldn't put any of them even in my top 15 of the year, dislike Roma, and consider Vice and Green Book among the worst of the year. I don't think it's reflective of the quality of the year either--I could easily put 10 or 15 movies up for Best Picture this year, and most of those aren't obscure, out-there picks.
Last edited by dws1982 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Question: 3 foreign language films are nominated for Cinematography. Has that ever happened before?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I thought Najiani and Ellis Ross milked the too-early-in-the-morning joke way too much.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

What about the nominations presention? I thought it was way more classy than last year
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:I Bacall's two husbands and Plowright's one were both dead when they were nominated.
Not that he didn't look like he was, but was Robards really dead when he made Magnolia?
I was just about to correct that! Bacall's first husband was dead and she was long divorced from her second when she was nominated.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Tee, you might be interested to know that Free Solo has made $13 million at the box office so far. RBG has made only $14 million, so Free Solo isn't exactly a box office weakling.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “91st Academy Awards”