Potential Stats and Records for This Year's Oscars

For the films of 2018
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Potential Stats and Records for This Year's Oscars

Post by Heksagon »

Technically, the Academy doesn't consider foreign language nominations as nominations for the director, but conventionally they are viewed that way. Everyone, including the Academy and the organizations on whose "behalf they accept", treat the directors as if they were the nominee. There are different ways of looking at the issue, but, as a matter of principle, I'm liberal enough to consider convention as more important than technicalities.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

FilmFan720 is correct. It would not count as an official nomination for Cuaron.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:You're missing the obvious big one - if Alfonso Cuarón gets nominated for Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing and Foreign Language Film, he would tie Walt Disney's record for most nominations in a single year, with six nominations. At least in theory, he could break Disney's record of four awards in a single year.

(It's another matter that Foreign Language category is sometimes counted as a nomination to no one)
Oops. I'll correct that. Foreign Language usually counts towards the country of origin, for some reason but I think the director usually keeps it.
That’s true, but it is not considered an official nomination for the director, so Cuaron would only have 5 nominations this year. The nomination still goes to the country.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Heksagon wrote:You're missing the obvious big one - if Alfonso Cuarón gets nominated for Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing and Foreign Language Film, he would tie Walt Disney's record for most nominations in a single year, with six nominations. At least in theory, he could break Disney's record of four awards in a single year.

(It's another matter that Foreign Language category is sometimes counted as a nomination to no one)
Oops. I'll correct that. Foreign Language usually counts towards the country of origin, for some reason but I think the director usually keeps it.
From what I understand, and I'm probably wrong and shouldn't even comment, from a couple of years ago the Academy altered their rules and the director got to have their name engraved on the statue as well but the country still keeps the award. Apparently, the Academy is going to allow retrospective engravings - personally I really don't see the point in the case where directors are now deceased. Let's face it Fellini, Bergman, Bunuel and company aren't exactly going to get any personal satisfaction from an engraving now.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

If Burning receives a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film it will be the first film from South Korea to do so.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

You're missing the obvious big one - if Alfonso Cuarón gets nominated for Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing and Foreign Language Film, he would tie Walt Disney's record for most nominations in a single year, with six nominations. At least in theory, he could break Disney's record of four awards in a single year.

MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Thanks for putting these together!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Potential Stats and Records for This Year's Oscars

Post by anonymous1980 »

One of my hobbies is going into Wikipedia rabbit holes and among them is finding out some pretty interesting (to me, anyway) stats and records. This year's Oscar nominations are about to come out in a couple of weeks so I thought, instead of waiting for the interesting stats and records from the nominations, I can just list the POTENTIAL stats and records down and check them off when the nominations come out. I'm listing them from most likely to least likely but within the realm of possibility.

- If Roma gets a Cinematography nomination, it would be the first time they nominate someone being a DP of his own film.

- If Roma gets a Best Picture nomination, Gabriela Rodriguez becomes the first Latina to get a Best Picture nomination and only the third woman of color to do so (the others being Oprah and Kimberly Steward of Manchester by the Sea)

-- If Alfonso Cuaron gets nominations for Picture, Director, Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography and Foreign Language Film, he would tie Walt Disney as most nominations for an individual in one year with six and the first one to do so in six DIFFERENT categories. (The fact that Disney got his nominations/wins at a time when he could get away with just slapping his name on stuff as a producer, take credit and the Oscar even without being the main creative force behind the films, Cuaron's achievement is more impressive)

- If Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse gets a Best Animated Feature nomination, Peter Ramsey will be the first African-American to get a nomination in this category.

- If Lady Gaga gets Best Actress nomination, she'd only be the fourth openly LGBTQ actor to get an acting nomination post-coming out (Jaye Davidson, Ian McKellen and Angelina Jolie are the others)*

- She'll also be the second to get both an acting and songwriting Oscar nominations the same year following Mary J. Blige last year.

- If Rami Malek gets a Best Actor nomination, it would be only the second time an actor of Egyptian descent is nominated. (The other being Omar Sharif)

- If Spike Lee and/or Barry Jenkins gets a Screenplay nomination, they'd be the first African-Americans to receive multiple screenplay nominations.

- If Timothee Chalamet and/or Lucas Hedges gets nominated, they'd be the first male under 25 to get two nominations since Sal Mineo.

- If Black Panther gets a Production Design nomination, Hannah Beachler will be the first African-American AND African American woman to get a Production Design nomination.

- If Black Panther gets a Costume Design nomination, Ruth E. Carter would tie Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis as most nominated African-American woman.**

- If Bao gets nominated for Best Animated Short, the director will be the first Asian woman nominated in this category.

- If Barry Jenkins and/or Steve McQueen gets a Best Director nomination, he'd be the first African-American to get more than one Best Director nomination.

- if Barry Jenkins and/or Ryan Coogler and/or Steve McQueen gets a Best Director nomination along with sure-thing Spike Lee, it'd be the first time more than one African-American is nominated for Best Director.

*Unless in the unlikely event that Lucas Hedges manages to get in for either one of his roles, then they'd be fourth and fifth. If Lucas Hedges gets in for Boy Erased, he'd only be the third openly LGBTQ actor to get nominated for an LGBTQ role.

*Unless Viola Davis somehow gets in for Widows, then SHE'D be the most nominated while Carter and Spencer will tie for second.

I'll add more when I find some more.
Last edited by anonymous1980 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”