Golden Globe reactions

For the films of 2018
Aceisgreat
Temp

Re: Golden Globe reactions

Post by Aceisgreat »

If they gave awards for speeches, Glenn Close would win them all. I thought Andy and Sandra had great timing, but most of their content was terrible. And did anyone else think the Golden Globes themselves looked clunky and cheap?
Last edited by Aceisgreat on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

When Close won, I knew Rami Malek won. But I didn't see that Bohemian Rhapsody win coming. I thought the HFPA wanted at least a veneer of respectability and pick something respectable and understandable and not go full populist. They already honored Bohemian enough with Malek's win.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I don't remember many speeches from previous years that seemed to clinch the rest of the televised awards for an actor, but Close's speech was shiver-inducing. When bad Oscars happen to good actors, I guess?
Last edited by Franz Ferdinand on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

All I can say is wow.

I predicted 3 of the last 4 awards handed out, but there is no way I would have thought that Bohemian Rhapsody would win anything other than Best Actor.

I doubt it will repeat at the Oscars, but its chances at a nomination just increased tenfold. Green Book's box-office chances have probably improved as well.

After that speech and that reception, look for Glenn Close to repeat at SAG, BAFTA and the Oscars, even if the Broadcasters stick with Gaga.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Close winning is in keeping with that, I suppose.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:So, the best movie of 2018 is either Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book.

A dram of hemlock, please?
:lol:
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Golden Globe reactions

Post by Mister Tee »

So, the best movie of 2018 is either Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book.

A dram of hemlock, please?

Return to “91st Academy Awards”