The Host of the 91st Academy Awards Is....

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The Host of the 91st Academy Awards Is....

Post by Big Magilla »

I've never seen any of his movies nor do I have any inclination to.

I've seen him, but can't recall where. Probably in one of his many TV appearances. According to IMDb., he introduced a song at the 2016 Oscars, but I have no memory of that. What I recall about him are some asinine exchanges with another talking head about his size (he's 5'4"). God help us if that's what we get at the Oscars - three hours of "short" jokes.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

OscarGuy wrote:Max, I was meaning that since Haddish was an Oscar contender FOR Girls Trip that they would have be at least modestly cognizant of her.
Ah, my mistake! Yes, winning that NYFCC award certainly must have introduced her to the UAADB crowd. I was imagining someone who knew of her but not Kevin Hart through general pop culture awareness, which seemed impossible.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Jumanji was a funnier film than anything else I saw last year. It's too bad you won't give it the time of day. I guess it's not high brow enough for your tastes.

Max, I was meaning that since Haddish was an Oscar contender FOR Girls Trip that they would have be at least modestly cognizant of her.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

OscarGuy wrote:Kevin Hart has a box office average of the 22 films he's been in of $83 million. His big hits were Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($400 million+), Central Intelligence, Ride Along, and Think Like a Man (all at or just over $100 million). His film this year, opposite Tiffany Haddish (who I assume you've heard of) was Night School.
No wonder haven't heard of this actor as I would never go near any of the films you mention above. Would rather be an old woman and watch an old B western or anything with Jennifer Jones, Poitier, Cagney, Gabin and that lot than this so called hip comic who is nothing but a variation of the Eddie Murphy school of comedy. Loved Murphy at the time but you can keep all the clones like Martin Lawrence and the likes of Kevin Hart.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

OscarGuy wrote:It's like listening to a bunch of old women at the beauty parlor as they discuss that young whipper snapper Brad Pitt they've never heard of.
Thanks for saying it first. I really can't believe people here haven't heard of Kevin Hart. Oscar watchers are movie watchers first, and he is in a lot of movies.
opposite Tiffany Haddish (who I assume you've heard of)
She's only been ubiquitous since mid-2017, and her one big hit (Girls Trip) made about 1/4th of what Jumanji did. I would be amazed if someone knew of Tiffany Haddish but not Kevin Hart.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

He’s completely annoying. I’d rather almost anyone else.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's like listening to a bunch of old women at the beauty parlor as they discuss that young whipper snapper Brad Pitt they've never heard of.

Kevin Hart has a box office average of the 22 films he's been in of $83 million. His big hits were Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ($400 million+), Central Intelligence, Ride Along, and Think Like a Man (all at or just over $100 million). His film this year, opposite Tiffany Haddish (who I assume you've heard of) was Night School.

He's also a stand up comedian and will be in that Intouchables remake opposite Bryan Cranston next year called The Upside. He's not my favorite part of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle or Night School, but he can be quite funny. Self-deprecating humor (he has no problem making fun of his short height).

As to why he was chosen, it's that he's funny without being TOO offensive (like Chris Rock) or too serious (like James Franco). He's an actor younger audiences will recognize and might drive up viewership (though, really nothing is going to drive up viewership for the Oscars like it used to, except maybe Black Panther up for a raft of nominations).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:As time goes on I am getting less interested in contemporary cinema that doesn't fall directly into my sphere of personal interest. And I have almost zero interest in up and coming younger actors. None of them have that star quality and aura of the stars of yesteryear.
Thank God for old movies from the very distant past. The most derivative of them is still worth sitting through than most of the new stuff.

I read with interest your detailed analyses of the different versions of Widows. What a shockingly disappointing film especially after one reads the critical raves.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Heksagon wrote:I'm not sure if I've ever even heard of him before. Does he have a TV show or something?
I'd never heard of him either but by chance came across him on cable last night in something called The Wedding Ringer. Could only sit through it for 10 minutes and just switched the channel. All these comics are beginning to look and sound like clones of the one who came before.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Heksagon wrote:I'm not sure if I've ever even heard of him before. Does he have a TV show or something?
I think just film & TV appearances. I don't think he has a regular TV show.

I checked imdb and I can recall him from Get Hard, but that's about it. Most of the films he has appeared in I've never heard of. He did something with Sylvester Stallone & Robert De Niro a couple of years ago called Grudge Match. I haven't seen it and I don't even recall it, not that that means anything. Having just got Netflix I was going through the films and came across Allied. I said to my partner 'I wonder what that is'. He said 'Its that WW2 film with Brad Pitt & Marion Cotillard' I replied 'I don't remember the name of that', but that's what it was. I do remember the film, watching it and not caring for it, and that it was nominated for an Oscar but for the life of me if asked the title of it I would have delivered a blank.

As time goes on I am getting less interested in contemporary cinema that doesn't fall directly into my sphere of personal interest. And I have almost zero interest in up and coming younger actors. None of them have that star quality and aura of the stars of yesteryear.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I'm not sure if I've ever even heard of him before. Does he have a TV show or something?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It didn't matter to me who they picked because I'd already decided I'm not watching it this year with the likes of Roma & A Star is Born likely to dominate.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

The Host of the 91st Academy Awards Is....

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

...umm, Kevin Hart...!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/04/movi ... scars.html

I suppose if he can bring out The Rock for significant periods of time during the show, it would increase viewership at the least.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”