Festival Line-ups

For the films of 2018
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Festival Line-ups

Post by Reza »

Bog wrote:I think Reza declared her the winner already, if I'm not mistaken...which felt wildly early... but Reza nailed Rylance at least as early a few years back...Sly push be damned.
Yes but I think she will win in the supporting category.

Haha you remember my call about Rylance.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I think Reza declared her the winner already, if I'm not mistaken...which felt wildly early... but Reza nailed Rylance at least as early a few years back...Sly push be damned.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Do you think that Olivia Colman is becoming an early “favorite” for Supporting Actress?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Venice Film Festival Winners:

Golden Lion: "Roma," Alfonso Cuaron

Grand Jury Prize: “The Favourite,” Yorgos Lanthimos, Greece, U.K.

Silver Lion for Best Director: Jacques Audiard, “The Sisters Brothers,” U.S.

Volpi Cup for Best Actress: Olivia Colman, “The Favourite,” Greece, U.K.

Volpi Cup for Best Actor: Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate,” U.S.

Best Screenplay: Joel and Ethan Coen, “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” U.S.

Special Jury Prize: “The Nightingale” Jennifer Kent, Australia

Marcello Mastroianni Award for Young Performer: Baykali Ganambarr “The Nightingale,” Australia
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

For purposes of completeness, the NY Festival line-up. Though I think every film on the schedule will have previously been screened somewhere else:

Opening Night
The Favourite
Dir. Yorgos Lanthimos

Centerpiece
ROMA
Dir. Alfonso Cuarón

Closing Night
At Eternity’s Gate
Dir. Julian Schnabel

3 Faces
Dir. Jafar Panahi

Asako I & II
Dir. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi

Ash Is Purest White
Dir. Jia Zhangke

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Dir. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

Burning
Dir. Lee Chang-dong

Cold War
Dir. Paweł Pawlikowski

A Faithful Man/L’Homme fidèle
Dir. Louis Garrel

A Family Tour
Dir. Ying Liang

La Flor
Dir. Mariano Llinás

Grass
Dir. Hong Sangsoo

Happy as Lazzaro/Lazzaro felice
Dir. Alice Rohrwacher

Her Smell
Dir. Alex Ross Perry

High Life
Dir. Claire Denis

Hotel by the River
Dir. Hong Sangsoo

If Beale Street Could Talk
Dir. Barry Jenkins

The Image Book/Le Livre d’image
Dir. Jean-Luc Godard

In My Room
Dir. Ulrich Köhler

Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Dir. Bi Gan

Monrovia, Indiana
Dir. Frederick Wiseman

Non-Fiction
Dir. Olivier Assayas

Private Life
Dir. Tamara Jenkins

RAY & LIZ
Dir. Richard Billingham

Shoplifters
Dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda

Sorry Angel
Dir. Christophe Honoré

Too Late to Die Young
Dir. Dominga Sotomayor

Transit
Dir. Christian Petzold

Wildlife
Dir. Paul Dano

Source: https://www.filmlinc.org/nyff2018/da...ate-announced/
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It appears that Xavier Dolan's latest film which is also his first in English and which seems to have spent an eternity in post-production, will be premiering at Toronto.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote: Roma on paper sounds good, but it's Netflix which means it will likely be given a limited run in theatres and require a subscription to the streaming service which I've avoided, to see in any form. They don't put their theatrical films out on DVD.
I'm going to reluctantly get a Netflix subscription around December/January. I'll only stick with it for 2 months which will give me ample time to see the 10 films I want to watch which they are currently holding hostage and one TV series (Mindhunters), which they produced themselves. Around the time I get the subscription I expect the films they have showing at Venice should be streaming as well, along with a couple of others things they have acquired the rights to. They also have the new Scorsese coming up and it will be interesting to see if they change there strategy for that one, particularly given its cost.

It's crazy really. If those 10 films were released at the cinema or on DVD I would happily lay down money to see them. But I do hate the idea of subscribing to see them even though the cost will be next to nothing.

Was reading an interesting article on Netflix earlier this week. Apparently they are billions of dollars in debt and their subscription uptake has slowed right down. That Disney are pulling their films sometime in the near future and starting their own streaming service won't help Netflix one bit.

They don't appear to be acquiring as many films as they once did and rarely get worldwide rights so in the future they are going to have to rely on producing more of their own material. Interesting times ahead for the entertainment industry.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This year is taking a really long time to come together. Nothing really excites me yet, but the trailer for Peterloo actually makes me want to see it. The trailer for The Favourite, which I had high hopes for, makes me want to avoid it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for The First Man, The Front Runner and At Eternity's Gate.

Roma on paper sounds good, but it's Netflix which means it will likely be given a limited run in theatres and require a subscription to the streaming service which I've avoided, to see in any form. They don't put their theatrical films out on DVD.

I don't know about Can You Ever Forgive Me? It's from the director of the critically acclaimed Diary of a Teenage Girl which I didn't like.

Of the three trailers Precious cites, On the Basis of Sex looks wan with Felicity Jones a pale imitation of Ruth Bader Ginsberg; Mary Queen of Scots looks overheated but like the Vanessa Redgrave-Glenda Jackson version of the two queens, it looks like a good showcase for its two stars; Boy Erased looks like a good showcase for Lucas Hedges and Nicole Kidman but Russell Crowe completely turned me off with that horrible accent and Joel Edgerton looks like a stage villain from the turn of the 20th Century.

The teaser trailers for Beautiful Boy and A Star Is Born do nothing to really sell them. There was a recent TV mini-series that had a plot similar to Widows. I fell asleep watching the first episode. Hopefully, Steve McQueen's film will be an improvement.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It's a very interesting line-up of films and my first thought is that the Venice Film Festival should rename itself the Netflix Venice Film Festival.

There are some films I look forward to with great anticipation, others with some trepidation and than others that I'll pass on.

The most interesting thing about the entire list though is that none of Focus Features 'Oscar' films, On the Basis of Sex, Mary Queen of Scots & Boy Erased are included. One of more of them may be late editions but it does at this point in time make me think 'what are they hiding?'

I decided to view the trailers on-line, something I rarely do (disclosure: I had already viewed the On the Basis of Sex trailer but watched it again). Trailers can be funny. Sometimes a film will look good and then turn out to be poor and vice versa. And other times the trailer actually reflects the 'quality' of the film - this is the most common outcome I find. Anyway, after watching the 3 trailers back to back, I'd be surprised if any of these films is better than serviceable. Frankly, they all look a combination of seen it all before and just plain dreadful - no point in critiquing want amounts to about two and half minutes of clips from a film, but on the basis of the trailers (pun intended) but I have no intention of seeing any of these films unless they score Oscar nominations.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've chosen to consolidate.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Festival Line-ups

Post by Mister Tee »

Should we assume there aren't going to be separate sections for Predictions and Precursors/Nominations and Winners this year? This thread would obviously fall under the former, so feel free to move it if a division ultimately occurs, but, for the moment, it all seems to fall under one banner.

Usually I post different threads for Venice and Toronto, but since I lazily waited till both were available, I've opted to group them together, and also include what seems the rumored line-up for Telluride (though that, of course is subject to change right through the end).

Discussion of the various films is better left till late August, but two things I'd note: 1) The Coen brothers' effort was supposed to be a six-part TV series, but Kris Tapley is saying they've decided instead to put it together as an anthology film feature; 2) I've seen the trailer for Can You Ever Forgive Me a few times now and, boy, it sure hits me as a chance to get Melissa McCarthy back into the Oscar game.

Films at Venice:

A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper)
The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos)
First Man (Damien Chazelle)
Peterloo (Mike Leigh)
Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
The Sisters Brothers (Jacques Audiard)
Sunset (Laszo Nemes)
Suspiria (Luca Guadagnino) Swinton, Johnson
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Ethan and Joel Coen)
Doubles Vies (aka EBook) (Olivier Assayas)
22 July (formerly Norway) (Paul Greengrass)
Work without Author (Florian Henkel Von Donnersmark)
The Nightingale (Jennifer Kent)
Vox Lux (Brady Corbet)
The Mountain (Rick Alverson)
Capri-Revolution (Mario Martone)
What You Gonna Do When The World’s On Fire? (Roberto Minervini)
Freres Ennemis (David Oelhoffen)
Neustro Tiempo (Carlos Reygadas)
At Eternity’s Gate (Julian Schnabel)
Killing (Shinya Tsukamoto)

Telluride buzzed premieres:

Can You Ever Forgive Me (Marielle Heller)
The Front Runner (Jason Reitman)
The Old Man and the Gun (David Lowery)
Mid 90's (Jonah Hill)
White Boy Rick (Yann Demange)
Dogman (Matteo Garrone)
Non-Fiction (Fred L. Bouie)

Toronto line-up:

GALAS 2018
“Beautiful Boy,” Felix van Groeningen, USA
“Galveston,” Mélanie Laurent, USA
“Everybody Knows,” Asghar Farhadi, Spain/France/Italy
“First Man,” Damien Chazelle, USA