Honorary Oscars Wish Lists and Speculation

For the films of 2018
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Honorary Oscars Wish Lists and Speculation

Post by flipp525 »

ksrymy wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:This is just the Academy pandering the black card. Nothing else. It makes them look good with Tyson becoming the first African-American actress to win an honorary award.
This is really gross; you sound like a Deplorable.

Yes, the only reason black people are given awards is to appease PC culture /eyeroll.

And, I will name a prestige film where Tyson got good notices for playing a key supporting role: Fried Green Tomatoes

Cicely Tyson is also nominated for a Primetime Emmy this year for Guest Actress in a Drama Series for “How to Get Away with Murder” so I imagine this news was very exciting for her to cap off another successful year in her career.
Blocking Reza on Facebook after too many racist, anti-semitic rants was one of the greatest decisions I've made in my life.
Don’t forget the homophobic ones too.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ksrymy wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:This is just the Academy pandering the black card. Nothing else. It makes them look good with Tyson becoming the first African-American actress to win an honorary award.

Yes, the only reason black people are given awards is to appease PC culture /eyeroll.

And, I will name a prestige film where Tyson got good notices for playing a key supporting role: Fried Green Tomatoes

Cicely Tyson is also nominated for a Primetime Emmy this year for Guest Actress in a Drama Series for “How to Get Away with Murder” so I imagine this news was very exciting for her to cap off another successful year in her career.
Blocking Reza on Facebook after too many racist, anti-semitic rants was one of the greatest decisions I've made in my life.
Oh wow, look who the cat dragged in. The hick from Oz.

I love you too. Just as much.
Last edited by Reza on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:

"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

[quote="nightwingnova"]Then, folks should lobby for von Sydow, who is both older and has done many more American films than Ullman.

Wonder if public lobbying works?
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Then, folks should lobby for von Sydow, who is both older and has done many more American films than Ullman.

Reza wrote:
anonymous1980 wrote:
Precious Doll wrote: Doris Day has been approached but declined.

In the case of Albert Finney I doubt he'll ever receive one as its highly unlikely he would except the award. He has never attended an Oscar ceremony including all the times he was nominated. I recall a quote from his that when something like "you can't drink, you can't smoke, I don't want to sit there for hours if I can't do the things I enjoy' in reference to attended the Oscars. He has also declined a knighthood. Throw in recent poor health (kidney cancer), a long flight to L.A from the U.K. Unless he was to have a change of heart I don't think it will ever happen. Some actors have 'soften' their attitude to the Oscars with age (Pacino, De Niro & Hoffman come to mind) but Finney has remained a constant. If I'm not mistaken Finney and Tom Courtney are the last two major British actors that started out in the 1960s that are still with us.
That didn't stop them from giving one to Jean-Luc Godard who was never going to show and even publicly bashed the Oscar. (Perhaps he agreed to it privately so he could use the Oscar to get more money for his movies? I don't know.)
Then the same formula should also apply to Finney.

And for those who don't like to travel (Doris Day - don't think she has refused the honour) there is a precedent of presenting it to infirm or very old stars (Mary Pickford, Myrna Loy) at home.

I think it's more a case of the Academy justifying attendance at the banquet.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:

And for those who don't like to travel (Doris Day - don't think she has refused the honour) there is a precedent of presenting it to infirm or very old stars (Mary Pickford, Myrna Loy) at home.

I absolutely agree. Or have someone except the award on their behalf which was done in the case of Debbie Reynolds, which was accepted by Carrie Fisher.

If a recall correctly Satyajit Ray received his Honorary Oscar in hospital a mere few weeks before he passed away.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

anonymous1980 wrote:

In the case of Albert Finney I doubt he'll ever receive one as its highly unlikely he would except the award. He has never attended an Oscar ceremony including all the times he was nominated. I recall a quote from his that when something like "you can't drink, you can't smoke, I don't want to sit there for hours if I can't do the things I enjoy' in reference to attended the Oscars. He has also declined a knighthood. Throw in recent poor health (kidney cancer), a long flight to L.A from the U.K. Unless he was to have a change of heart I don't think it will ever happen. Some actors have 'soften' their attitude to the Oscars with age (Pacino, De Niro & Hoffman come to mind) but Finney has remained a constant. If I'm not mistaken Finney and Tom Courtney are the last two major British actors that started out in the 1960s that are still with us.
That didn't stop them from giving one to Jean-Luc Godard who was never going to show and even publicly bashed the Oscar. (Perhaps he agreed to it privately so he could use the Oscar to get more money for his movies? I don't know.)

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

anonymous1980 wrote:

I believe JGL said he would except the award then said he couldn't travel as he could not go on a long flight without smoking. Finney has never had any interest in accolades to my knowledge. Also, I don't have any idea who has declined Honorary Oscars over the years - correct me if I'm wrong here - Doris Day being the only one I think I am aware of. I imagine the Academy prefers to keep that information to themselves.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

nightwingnova wrote:Doris Day would be nice. But it has been so long (50 years since she made a film), I wonder aside from cinephiles, who would be moved?

My faves are Albert Finney, Max von Sydow, and Liv Ullman. All giants of film.
Doris Day has been approached but declined.

The other three would make worthy recipients and surely 2019 must be Max von Sydow's time. What an amazing and diverse career the man has had.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Davis for Tyson, but also James Earl Jones (Broadway's The Gin Game) and Oprah Winfrey (The Women of Brewster Place) as well as Perry could add a few words.

Jackie Chan as backup for Schifrin.

Just Spielberg for both Kennedy & Marshall and Levy seems a bit much - others will have to help.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Can we speculate who's gonna speak about and/or present these awards?

Cicely Tyson - I'm near 100% certain it HAS to be Viola Davis, not only in their How to Get Away with Murder connection but also in their The Help connection. The only other possibility is Tyler Perry.

Marvin Levy - I looked him up and he is very much involved with Spielberg films and Dreamworks.

Lalo Schifrin - Tom Cruise seems to be the most obvious one because of Mission: Impossible but he's done a lot of Clint Eastwood movies so he's more likely, I believe.

Frank Marshall & Kathleen Kennedy - Spielberg is the most obvious one. Perhaps someone from Star Wars and Jurassic World franchises.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:You could make a case that the scarcity of roles for an actress as highly regarded as Cicely Tyson is more an indictment of Hollywood's neglect of black actresses than any failing on her part.
Very true.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:

Yes, the only reason black people are given awards is to appease PC culture /eyeroll
Certainly not.

As usual, Phillip, you are over reacting. The Academy has awarded many fine African-American performances in the past. But lately the Academy has been appeasing PC (and the "#metoo") culture. They want to look "good" which I also understand to a certain extent.

I agree Tyson is a legend and a great actress and I am happy she has won this award. Just feel she made her mark with more force on tv and on stage. The Academy could have honored instead actors still out there with a greater body of work on the big screen.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Doris Day would be nice. But it has been so long (50 years since she made a film), I wonder aside from cinephiles, who would be moved?

My faves are Albert Finney, Max von Sydow, and Liv Ullman. All giants of film.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”