Best Supporting Actress 2018

For the films of 2018

Who was the Best Supporting Actress among the 2018 Oscar nominees?

Amy Adams - Vice
5%
Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk
76%
Emma Stone - The Favourite
No votes
Marina de Tavira - Roma
No votes
Rachel Weisz - The Favourite
19%

Total votes: 21

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: Best Supporting Actress 2018

Post by FilmFan720 »

I voted for Regina King here, although Olivia Colman was my favorite in this category this year. I see her as supporting, and would have put Stone and Weisz in lead.

In place of the rest of the nominees, I would have nominated Sissy Spacek for The Old Man & the Gun, Gabrielle Reid for Private Life, and Geraldine Viswanathan for Blockers.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If a distinction had to be made in the Lead/Support dynamic in The Favourite, I think Stone should've been pushed into Lead. But I don't think a distinction should've been made: I think all three Favourites should've been in the same category, and for me that means all three in Lead. I probably wouldn't argue with someone who put them all in Support, but I don't see any real case for splitting them. Weisz and Stone are both excellent. (Stone, especially, was a lot of fun in a very different role than what we're used to seeing her in.) But I can't really justify voting for them, unless the category were so weak that there was literally no other option.

Amy Adams getting nominated for Vice was one of those blogger fantasies that they locked in on as soon as her casting was announced. I agree with Sabing that if the actual role had been stronger, I think she could've won this year--Regina King was a weak frontrunner in a movie the Academy didn't embrace, De Tavira was subtitled, and the Favourites were former winners--but the fact that she didn't speaks to how weak the role actually was. It's tough for actors to stand out when the whole film seems engineered to show off how smart the director is. (I was a fan of The Big Short, but with Vice I feel like McKay took the things that didn't work and blew them up to a 100-point font.) De Tavira is kind of hamstrung by her director too, although in a different way: There's so much obsession on how everything is shot and how elaborately constructed each scene and sequence is that the actors don't really register. I'm sure they gave the performances that Cuaron was looking for, but they don't have much to do with great acting.

So that leaves Regina King. A second viewing really made me appreciate Beale Street, and while King doesn't quite make my top five, she really is excellent in a classic supporting role, and she's the type of hardworking character actress who the Academy should honor more often.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

First to go are Emma Stone & Rachel Weisz in what I see as blatant category fraud. They both give brilliant performances but they are co-leads with Olivia Colman.

Marina De Tavira & Amy Adams have nothing to so out with them, though De Tavira faired better than her leading lady.

That leaves Regina King in a subtle performance and delivers in spades in her big scene towards the end of the film. A classic example (like Richard E. Grant) of what is a supporting performance.

Aside from Debicki all of Sabin's alternatives are more suitable substitutes for all of the over four ladies in this category. I'll throw in Sissy Spacek (The Old Man and the Gun), Dolly Wells (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) & Nicole Kidman (Boy Erased). There were some outstanding performances not eligible and even should their films get released in 2019 won't be getting any Oscar attention from Julia Ormond & Rachael Taylor in Ladies in Black, Ophelie Bau in Mektoub My Love: Canto Uno, Elodie Bouchez in In Safe Hands and Birgit Minchmayr in 3 Days in Quiberon.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This race made me pull my hair out. The clearest frontrunner, Regina King, wasn't nominated for a SAG or a BAFTA, which pointed to a Sylvester Stallone-esque shutout for the prize, right on down to SAG largely voting "present" in the form of Emily Blunt for A Quiet Place. Holding me back from ultimately predicting an alternative was that If Beale Street Could Talk may not have gone all the way with the Academy but it was taken far more seriously than Creed was, but also there was no performance like Mark Rylance in the running.

It wasn't going to be Marina De Tavira, who was largely a coattails nominations for Roma.

It wasn't going to be Amy Adams because if it was going to be Amy Adams she would have won anything high profile for her work in Vice. In a year like 2018 where she also had Sharp Objects to her credit, Amy Adams would have been coronated by October if her role gave her anything substantive to do. It didn't.

It wasn't going to be Emma Stone and her dominant role in The Favourite so soon after her Oscar win.

I thought it might have been the pokerfaced funny Rachel Weisz for her clearly supporting BAFTA-winning work in The Favourite. But when was the last time a performance like hers had won? At this point, I was just combing the math for an answer that made sense. So, I predicted Regina King for a performance whose acclaim I don't entirely understand. But we've had worse winners and she's a fine actor who deserves a prize.

But it should have been Weisz, an actor who has proven strangely difficult to cast over the years. It's fitting that she won an Oscar for playing a mystery that her husband has to uncover. Put her in a studio film and she looks ready to pass out from boredom. For me, her true career awakening was when Rian Johnson cast her as an eccentric, virginal heiress in The Brother Bloom. Playing weirdos suits her. Yorgos Lanthimos realized this when he cast her in The Lobster and her narration is so much of what makes that wackadoo film work in the first place. While Olivia Colman stole the show, The Favourite is unthinkable without Rachel Weisz's support. Every line she delivers has a absurdist confidence to it as if to say "None of this is unusual" which is key to all of Yorgos Lanthimos' films. She's basically the film's uncredited narrator.

I would point to Zoe Kazan for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Haley Lu Richardson for Support the Girls, Kayli Carter for Private Life, Elizabeth Debicki for Widows, Leticia Wright for Black Panther, or even Awkwafina for Crazy Rich Asians for alternatives.
Last edited by Sabin on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Wow. Not the most impressive in my opinion.

Tavira was good but not noteworthy.

Stone was very good at times, but her overall performance never seemed to gel in a way that made sense dramatically or stylistically for me.

Weisz was fine, but I wasn't enthused.

King, on the other way, while being background most of the movie, was very insightfully sensitive. In fact, I much preferred her "background" acting to her couple big scenes. A wonderful component of if Beale Street Could Talk.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not a strong category.

Marina de Tavira's nomination was a surprise to even Roma's strongest supporters.

Amy Adams' nomination for one of her least noteworthy performances is a real headscratcher.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz pretty much cancel one another out and Regina King wins by default.

I'm voting for King but I wish it would have been more of a contest with Claire Foy in First Man and Nicole Kidman in Boy Erased giving her a run for the win.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Rachel Weisz
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Supporting Actress 2018

Post by Big Magilla »

Four down, four to go. Here's the first of the second half of our polling for eight categories of 2018 Oscar winners.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”