Anonymous Academy Members Ballots

For the films of 2018
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Anonymous Academy Members Ballots

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:Which one of the "Brutally Honest" ballot interviews is Sandra Bullock?
It was the one that came out the year Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close was nominated. The dead giveaway was her praise of Thomas Horn, the kid who played her son in it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Which one of the "Brutally Honest" ballot interviews is Sandra Bullock?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Here's another 'brutally honest' ballot that is an amusing read:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 21-1188036
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

It could be Knight if he is now living in L.A. either temporarily or permanently as he would have to have access to all those parties he keeps running into Malek at.

He could have started as a member of the writers branch and then asked to be moved to the directors branch. I think that's allowed.

He said he was a friend of Mortensen's. As a writer of the screenplay for Eastern Promises he probably didn't "work" with him directly, but as the director of Locke he would certainly have had to have worked with Colman.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I thought about Knight, but I guessed he would be a Writer's Branch and not credited as a director...makes a little more sense, though.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've seen people suggest Steven Knight, who wrote Eastern Promises, and had Colman as a major voice character in Locke.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think it's Hytner. It's either an American or a transplanted Brit. As far as I can tell, Hytner is still centered in London.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

My guess is Nicholas Hytner.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Bragging about being a director who is friends with Viggo Mortensen who has worked with Olivia Colman is not exactly covering your tracks. Someone has probably already figured out who he is just as I and many others have figured out some of the past interviewees. Sandra Bullock and Keir Dullea, for example, were quite obvious.

I gather he is someone who has never been nominated for anything or he would be bragging about that as well.

What makes this particular guy so odious is not his choices but the way he goes about making them. It's all politics except for Colman who he is voting for because he knows her.
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

OscarGuy wrote:Think about the kind of people who will talk on the record about their ballots. They are probably washed-up has-beens who lament the state of film today because they cannot get work. I doubt they are truly representative of the Academy as a whole. At least one hopes not.
But they’re not on the record; it’s an anonymous interview, and THR is reputable enough to keep their identities unknown. That’s the only way to get Academy members to speak candidly.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Think about the kind of people who will talk on the record about their ballots. They are probably washed-up has-beens who lament the state of film today because they cannot get work. I doubt they are truly representative of the Academy as a whole. At least one hopes not.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

I only skimmed the article but I saw he’s not voting for Rami Malek. We’re at a point where that makes you the kind of thoughtful, independent-minded voter the Academy needs more of. Sad.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

The more these guys talk, the more I lose any respect I had for them.
It's as if the Academy members are a bunch of petty, vapid, assholes.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot #1 - Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists ... 19-1187666
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

I'm for anyone-but-Malek.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”