ASC Nominations

For the films of 2018
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: ASC Nominations

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:
dws1982 wrote
Easily my choice for Best Cinematography of the year. I don't think there's a single extraneous or wasted frame in the film.
I would say almost to a fault. I wish the film had a few extraneous, wasted frames.
Fair criticism. I felt similarly about Roma--everything was so meticulously framed and shot and sound-edited to the point that the characters and their world never seemed to exist outside of the film itself.

I didn't have that issue with Cold War at all, but I couldn't begrudge or argue with those who had similar reservations.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I've thought all season that the cinematographers could be resistant to Cuaron as the lenser...I wouldn't have been surprised to see him lose a nomination either here or at the Oscars. I wonder if the guild was a bit more hesitant about voting for him here than the Academy at large will be, and if Cuaron still wins the Oscar easily or if this really is a battle.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
Easily my choice for Best Cinematography of the year. I don't think there's a single extraneous or wasted frame in the film.
I would say almost to a fault. I wish the film had a few extraneous, wasted frames.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not a total surprise, but from what I can tell, still not having seen the film, a good one.

Apparently there's a lot of pushback against Netflix from the old guard affecting Roma's Oscar chances. This could be the public indication of it.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Yes an excellent choice.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Great choice.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A upset: Cold War wins.

Which may just mean cinematographers didn't like a director poaching on their turf. Or it could show weakness surrounding Roma.

This is the year we know less and less the closer we get to the ceremony.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

ASC Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Matthew Libatique, A Star is Born
Robbie Ryan, The Favourite
Linus Sandgren, First Man
Łukasz Żal, Cold War

Although I lament the exclusion of If Beale Street Could Talk, this is quite a strong list. (And as with the ACE omission, it's another suggestion that Black Panther might not even be the below-the-line heavyweight some have imagined it would be.)

Return to “91st Academy Awards”