ASC Predictions

For the films of 2018
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: ASC Predictions

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:Uh... is Newton Thomas Sigel going to get nominated?
I mean, Bryan Singer getting nominated at the DGA would be the most 2018 thing to possibly happen at this point, so maybe we should brace ourselves.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: ASC Predictions

Post by Sabin »

Uh... is Newton Thomas Sigel going to get nominated?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

ASC Predictions

Post by Sabin »

A rash of precursors announce tomorrow including the American Society of Cinematographers. I'm fascinated at who the cinematographers will be. This is a year where the front-runner for Best Cinematography is also very much in the running for Best Director. It would appear that one does not need to be in the ASC to become a nominee. For example, Dick Pope is a BSC member but he was nominated for Mr. Turner. It more comes down to visibility than membership, which would seem to work against Lukasz Zal for Cold War (previous Oscar nominee for Ida).

This is a guild prone to cronyism, which would bode well for James Laxton (If Beale Street Could Talk), Matthew Libatique (A Star is Born), Rachel Morrison (Black Panther)... and ultimately, we will have to see how much the First Man meltdown will continue with recent ASC nominee and Oscar winner Linus Sandgren.

Another unconventional contender is Robbie Ryan for The Favourite who has amassed a strong filmography of UK productions and most recently Noah Baumbach films.

If I had to guess between Ryan, Sandgren, and Zal...

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
BLACK PANTHER / Rachel Morrison
THE FAVOURITE / Robbie Ryan
IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK / James Laxton
ROMA / Alfonso Cuaron
A STAR IS BORN / Matthew Libatique
"How's the despair?"

Return to “91st Academy Awards”