New York Film Critics Circle Awards

For the films of 2018
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by Mister Tee »

Can't say I'd even noticed the Spider-Man reviews, and, looking at the three trades, I can't say they seem THAT enthusiastic to me. But I guess, in a year where the competition is two sequels and a good/not great Wes Anderson effort, another film in the LEGO movie mode is enough to carry the day.

Nothing else seems deeply surprising, although it's interesting that for once NY ducked the box office-popular choice in Non-Fiction.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant / Can You Ever Forgive Me?
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Cinematography: Roma (Alfonso Cuarón)
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Animated Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman)

Pretty surprising, but the reviews have been pretty ecstatic.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Non-Fiction Film: Minding the Gap (Bing Liu)
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Foreign Language Film: Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Film: Roma
Best First Film: Eighth Grade (Bo Burnham)
Best Foreign Language Film: Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)
Best Actor: Ethan Hawke / First Reformed
Best Actress: Regina Hall / Support the Girls
Best Supporting Actor: Richard E. Grant / Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King / If Beale Street Could Talk
Best Screenplay: First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
Best Cinematography: Roma (Alfonso Cuarón)
Best Non-Fiction Film: Minding the Gap (Bing Liu)
Best Animated Film: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman)
Special Award: Kino Classics Box Set “Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers”
Special Award: David Schwartz, stepping down as Chief Film Curator at Museum of the Moving Image after 33 years
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
All of which is driving at this: A Star is Born's 88, while impressive on its own, doesn't seem to elevate it into this company. So, I'm dubious.
You're probably right. Roma probably has this.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I felt like an initial argument that I seem to remember hearing, promoting Emma Stone as the lead was, if not ideal (I agree with BJ that the film is a three-lead one), at least suppprted by some attempts at a rationale. Stone’s character has, I’m pretty sure, the most screentime, Weisz disappears for a small bit, and Colman - while the clear stand-out and central by the very nature of her character - seems like she’s missing while the two Favourites are sparring.

It would be interesting to see if the Academy nominates any of the actresses in categories for which the studios have not been promoting them. Something like Kate Winslet’s The Reader placement.
Colman would easily win if placed in support. In the lead category she will have to contend with Close who has a strong sentimental factor attached.
We discussed that point elsewhere (and months ago). My post was mostly trying to point out that I could see where they were going with potentially putting Emma Stone in the lead category after having actually seen the film.

It’s fairly likely that Colman would sweep if she were put in supporting (which could very well still happen).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:It's not that before the 1936 awards there was no supporting category - there simply was only one acting category per gender with no distinction based on the nature and size of the performance. So in the case of Mutiny on the Bounty, it shouldn't be seen as three leading performances from the same film (it's obviously two leads and one supporting) being nominated in the same category. Louise Dresser, Lewis Stone, Jackie Cooper (for the wrong reasons) Frank Morgan and indeed Tone would have all been nominated in supporting had it been available in the first 6 years of the awards.
Cooper would have been quite a stretch, considering he's in every scene in Skippy. More likely, he would have been nominated for Best Actor for that and for Best Supporting Actor the following year for The Champ.
I was thinking of Cooper being looked at the way Tatum O'Neal was - being the obvious lead of her film yet relegated to support because of her age.
Ryan O'Neal could ostensibly be considered the sole lead in Paper Moon, but there is no one in Skippy who can fill that role other than Cooper.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Big Magilla wrote:
Uri wrote:It's not that before the 1936 awards there was no supporting category - there simply was only one acting category per gender with no distinction based on the nature and size of the performance. So in the case of Mutiny on the Bounty, it shouldn't be seen as three leading performances from the same film (it's obviously two leads and one supporting) being nominated in the same category. Louise Dresser, Lewis Stone, Jackie Cooper (for the wrong reasons) Frank Morgan and indeed Tone would have all been nominated in supporting had it been available in the first 6 years of the awards.
Cooper would have been quite a stretch, considering he's in every scene in Skippy. More likely, he would have been nominated for Best Actor for that and for Best Supporting Actor the following year for The Champ.
I was thinking of Cooper being looked at the way Tatum O'Neal was - being the obvious lead of her film yet relegated to support because of her age.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Reza wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:It's interesting that in the entire history of the Oscars that only once have three leading performances been nominated from the same film which was Charles Laughton, Clark Gable & Franchot Tone in Mutiny on the Bounty. And of course the supporting category didn't exist then. I haven't seen MONB in decades but would Tone be considered supporting?
Yes, Tone is clearly supporting and would have been placed if that category existed in 1935.
It's not that before the 1936 awards there was no supporting category - there simply was only one acting category per gender with no distinction based on the nature and size of the performance. So in the case of Mutiny on the Bounty, it shouldn't be seen as three leading performances from the same film (it's obviously two leads and one supporting) being nominated in the same category. Louise Dresser, Lewis Stone, Jackie Cooper (for the wrong reasons) Frank Morgan and indeed Tone would have all been nominated in supporting had it been available in the first 6 years of the awards.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:I felt like an initial argument that I seem to remember hearing, promoting Emma Stone as the lead was, if not ideal (I agree with BJ that the film is a three-lead one), at least suppprted by some attempts at a rationale. Stone’s character has, I’m pretty sure, the most screentime, Weisz disappears for a small bit, and Colman - while the clear stand-out and central by the very nature of her character - seems like she’s missing while the two Favourites are sparring.

It would be interesting to see if the Academy nominates any of the actresses in categories for which the studios have not been promoting them. Something like Kate Winslet’s The Reader placement.
Colman would easily win if placed in support. In the lead category she will have to contend with Close who has a strong sentimental factor attached.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Precious Doll wrote:It's interesting that in the entire history of the Oscars that only once have three leading performances been nominated from the same film which was Charles Laughton, Clark Gable & Franchot Tone in Mutiny on the Bounty. And of course the supporting category didn't exist then. I haven't seen MONB in decades but would Tone be considered supporting?
Yes, Tone is clearly supporting and would have been placed if that category existed in 1935.

Return to “91st Academy Awards”