New York Film Critics Circle Awards

For the films of 2018
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by Sabin »

Precious Doll wrote
Huppert, Riva & Rampling were/are all old, foreign and in films that the Academy nominates but rarely reawards. Though Huppert has dabbled in American cinema little of it is memorable. Riva was only primarily known for Hiroshima mon amour. Charlotte Rampling's work in the American cinema has been generally underwhelming. Her best work has primarily been in mainland European cinema. On top of that they were all received their first and to date only nominations, whereas Moore was up to her fifth nomination and has churned out so many films over the last 25 years, a number of which were high profile to the Academy.
Fair point. Huppert, Riva, & Rampling were all old, foreign, and in films that the Academy nominates but rarely rewards. But I while Glenn Close is not foreign, she is old (at least, she is older than Huppert and Rampling when they got their nomination) and The Wife is also a movie that the Academy nominates but rarely rewards.

Yes, Julianne Moore was up to her fifth nomination. We can't know if she would have won if she was up against Brie Larson for Room or Emma Stone for La La Land or Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. I personally don't think so, but sure, we don't know. My point is that Julianne Moore was due, but she wasn't old (early 50's) and also she didn't seem old. And nobody thought "This might be the last chance we get to honor Julianne Moore." But the sense that I get from people discussing Glenn Close is that this is her career achievement Oscar. I don't think this the Academy has used Best Actress to do that since Jessica Tandy for Driving Miss Daisy.

Here's another thing that shouldn't matter but maybe it does. I was going to say "But Glenn Close hasn't been nominated since the 1980's!" But that's not true. She was nominated for Albert Nobbs. If I was quizzed on every acting nomination of this decade, the one that I would 100% forget would be that one. I'm sure of it. I absolutely positive that if I forget that one person was nominated for one performance, it's that one. We had the same talk in 2011 about how this is going to be the year they finally give it to Glenn Close and it didn't happen.

I haven't seen The Wife. I'm sure she's better in it than in Albert Nobbs. The only point I'm trying to make is this Academy is younger, they are more diverse, and the impression that I get is that they are not interested in correcting past mistakes so much as trailblazing a new future.
MaxWilder wrote
I dunno. Are voters under 40 really that bothered that Glenn Close doesn’t have an Oscar? Glenn Close is their mom’s favorite actress, not theirs.
Exactly my point.
"How's the despair?"
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

Sabin wrote:When was the last time the Academy used Best Actress as a way to honor someone who was "due?" I suppose Julianne Moore for Still Alice. Then again, she had the incredible good fortune of being nominated in not just the weakest Best Actress lineup of the decade but maybe the weakest acting lineup in the decade. Like Still Alice, The Wife will also likely be a sole nominee.
I thought about Julianne Moore too, but that year she was also in Non-Stop (Liam Neeson actioner) and a Hunger Games sequel, among other things. She’s always in something. So, while Still Alice wasn’t buzzed about, it didn’t have to be.

I dunno. Are voters under 40 really that bothered that Glenn Close doesn’t have an Oscar? Glenn Close is their mom’s favorite actress, not theirs.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
I haven't seen Support the Girls but I took a second look at the trailer and saw something I initially missed - a kind of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore appeal to the narrative. It might be good enough to get her the fifth slot in a race that seems to have Close, Gaga, Colman and McCarthy as the front-runners.
The Regina Hall win is the shocker of the award season so far. Hall is not bad in the film, she always a pleasure to watch but the film plodded from one scene to the next rather that flowed along as Andrew Bujalski's prior work has always done. I found Support the Girls very disappointing particularly as I've liked all of Andrew Bujalski's prior work. Its nothing like Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore other than women working in a restaurant. Alice focused on Burstyn, this is more an ensemble piece, though Hall is clearly lead. It's a lot rougher around the edges than Alice.

I don't thing signals in any way a possible nomination for Regina Hall. With so many more high profile, highly praised performance in the best actress category Hall could have been the benefactor of some kind of comprise between two or more groups of critics with preferred first choices.

Gee, The Favourite & BlackKklansman didn't get a single award between them. At this point I'm beginning to think that the only person who hasn't got a fight on their hands is Regina King. The other acting categories feel like they are opening up to the possibility of tight races with any luck.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Sabin wrote:

Instead, why don't we ask how many times they didn't use Best Actress to honor somebody who was due? In 2016, they went for Emma Stone instead of Isabelle Huppert. In 2015, they went for Brie Larson instead of Charlotte Rampling. In 2012, they went for Jennifer Lawrence instead of Emmanuel Riva.
Huppert, Riva & Rampling were/are all old, foreign and in films that the Academy nominates but rarely reawards. Though Huppert has dabbled in American cinema little of it is memorable. Riva was only primarily known for Hiroshima mon amour. Charlotte Rampling's work in the American cinema has been generally underwhelming. Her best work has primarily been in mainland European cinema. On top of that they were all received their first and to date only nominations, whereas Moore was up to her fifth nomination and has churned out so many films over the last 25 years, a number of which were high profile to the Academy.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Interesting year.

No leaks, yet, about runners-up.

Dead quiet.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

MaxWilder wrote
I’m well past considering. I just don’t see newer/younger waves of members feeling obligated to make up for how the Academy voted in the 1980s. Especially since The Wife isn’t something people are talking about.
When was the last time the Academy used Best Actress as a way to honor someone who was "due?" I suppose Julianne Moore for Still Alice. Then again, she had the incredible good fortune of being nominated in not just the weakest Best Actress lineup of the decade but maybe the weakest acting lineup in the decade. Like Still Alice, The Wife will also likely be a sole nominee.

Instead, why don't we ask how many times they didn't use Best Actress to honor somebody who was due? In 2016, they went for Emma Stone instead of Isabelle Huppert. In 2015, they went for Brie Larson instead of Charlotte Rampling. In 2012, they went for Jennifer Lawrence instead of Emmanuel Riva.

Glenn Close has a chance. I just think it's an uphill battle.
"How's the despair?"
MaxWilder
Graduate

Post by MaxWilder »

I was looking forward to this awards season. I don’t want it to be over already because Cuaron had the remarkable good fortune of releasing Roma in 2018 :/
Sabin wrote:Personally, I think it’s time to start considering that just because Glenn Close is due online doesn’t mean it matters in the real world.
I’m well past considering. I just don’t see newer/younger waves of members feeling obligated to make up for how the Academy voted in the 1980s. Especially since The Wife isn’t something people are talking about.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You mean Ethan Hawke?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:From Regina Hall's Wikipedia entry:

In 2010, at age 40, Hall unsuccessfully tried to become a nun after a bad break-up. Hall had previously wanted to become a nun at the age of 14. She was refused for being too old, as the cut off age is 39.
Guess we know who Damien would have been rooting hard for this season
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:Sabin, I'm actually a little closer to Magilla on this one. I don't think Close needs to win critics prizes to win the oscar. She just needs no one else to dominate them. And the Page comparison is an astute one, in my mind. There's no pressing need to recognize any of the other contenders the way one could argue there is about Close (I also think the Page comparison is a good one because I think Close/Page have a nomination haul that far supersedes their individual contributions). Personally, I'm rooting against Close (don't care for her as an actress).
Exactly. The wild card is the SAG award which wasn't an issue in 1985. If Close wins that, it makes her road easier but if she loses, she still has those six previous nominations for a calling card. She's also ten years older than Page was when she won if that counts.

I haven't seen Support the Girls but I took a second look at the trailer and saw something I initially missed - a kind of Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore appeal to the narrative. It might be good enough to get her the fifth slot in a race that seems to have Close, Gaga, Colman and McCarthy as the front-runners.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

a) I thought Into the Spider Verse was a video game.

b) Sabin, I'm actually a little closer to Magilla on this one. I don't think Close needs to win critics prizes to win the oscar. She just needs no one else to dominate them. And the Page comparison is an astute one, in my mind. There's no pressing need to recognize any of the other contenders the way one could argue there is about Close (I also think the Page comparison is a good one because I think Close/Page have a nomination haul that far supersedes their individual contributions). Personally, I'm rooting against Close (don't care for her as an actress).

c) What Tee said about runners-up.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Regina Hall's Wikipedia entry:

In 2010, at age 40, Hall unsuccessfully tried to become a nun after a bad break-up. Hall had previously wanted to become a nun at the age of 14. She was refused for being too old, as the cut off age is 39.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Agreed.

Which means we'll be scanning the reports tonight and tomorrow for leaks.

Mister Tee wrote:
Also vis a vis The Favourite: I'm so used to seeing NY choices with runners-up included that this slate feels impoverished and incomplete to me. Which is to say, it makes a big difference whether The Favourite was close second for film and/or screenplay, or missing from the discussion completely. Same with best actress candidates Close, McCarthy, Aparicio, Gaga. I'm glad the other critics' groups aren't so prissy about guarding their information.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Always love your posts, Eric
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:
Eric wrote:
Sabin wrote:Best Actress: Regina Hall / Support the Girls
I live.
How nice to see you, even if it's just a quick drop-in.
Agreed. Don't be a stranger!

Return to “91st Academy Awards”