New York Film Critics Circle Awards

For the films of 2018
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: New York Film Critics Circle Awards

Post by Sabin »

Big Magilla wrote
Glenn Close's race toward Oscar seems unimpeded. As with the 1985 Oscar when Geraldine Page won after losing other major awards to Norma Aleandro, Meryl Streep and Whoopi Goldberg, she seems poised to lose the major precursors to a myriad of other winners but finally clutch the golden guy in the end.
It’s funny. I was going to say “she seems poised to lose again.”

How is her race unimpeded? She lost the Gotham to Toni Collette for Hereditary. Lady Gaga won the National Board is Review. And Regina Hall won the NYFCC. Her pathway to victory is real but narrow. She will face off against Lady Gaga at the Golden Globes, who will win. She will face off against Olivia Colman at the BAFTAS, who could easily win. And the SAG? I don’t know. Maybe it’ll be Melissa McCarthy, or Lady Gaga, or Olivia Colman, or Glenn Close. Maybe Glenn Close will win, but she faces extremely strong competition. Way stronger than comedian Whoopi Goldberg, Meryl Streep for her third Oscar in eight years, or Anne Bancroft and Jessica Lange for their second in who cares it’s not happening anyway.

I know you said “she seems poised to lose everything but win in the end” but when was the last time that happened? Was it actually 1985?

Personally, I think it’s time to start considering that just because Glenn Close is due online doesn’t mean it matters in the real world.
Last edited by Sabin on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Eric wrote:
Sabin wrote:Best Actress: Regina Hall / Support the Girls
I live.
How nice to see you, even if it's just a quick drop-in.

I of course IMDB-ed Support the Girls, and note it's a got a pretty high Metacritic score, but, as BJ notes, a staggeringly low gross -- so I guess I'm not alone in not having heard of it. Critics' going for it seems a bit like the Rachel Weisz/Deep Blue Sea scenario: a crowded field with no real front-runner allowing a passion choice to break through. (By the way, when you tell me it's an Andrew Bujarski movie, you might as well be telling me it's an X-14 O'Flaherty movie -- I don't know the guy, and Hannah Takes the Stairs is the only one of his credits with which I'm even faintly acquainted. Maybe he's a bigger deal on the West Coast.)

As for the rest, mostly fairly predictable, possibly because the year's pickings are relatively lean.

There did seem something hinky about the Cuaron/Roma choices firing off so quickly at the end like that. Though it's hard to believe, if they really did vote the category earlier, someone wouldn't jump the gun and tweet out the news. Regardless, it was pretty clear to me the film was going to win the top award as soon as I saw the foreign-language pick. And a logical pick it was, given the critical acclaim. It might be the rare film to repeat NY at LA.

First Reformed is obviously going to be one of those movies that irks me all season for punching above what I perceive as its weight. A sort of corollary to BJ's bird-in-hand theory: sometimes a film will open during the early dull season and, by virtue of being respectable, gets wildly over-rated by critics and pundits. Ex Machina and Hell or High Water are examples of this for me (there are people at Jeff Wells' site who continually claim Hell or High Water was easily the best film of its year), and First Reformed is now in their company.

There were reports at Awards Watch that Vice was way better received in LA than NY, so I'll be watching to see if Christian Bale makes a showing there. If he doesn't get a critics' boost, Bradley Cooper could become unstoppable.

Richard E. Grant probably needs the critical boost, given his film's financial weakness. I initially thought McCarthy would be coat-tailing him to an Oscar nomination, but now I wonder if the opposite will be the case.

Having not seen If Beale Street... yet, I can't have an opinion on the King wins. As far as The Favourite ladies: I don't think either Stone or Weisz is strong enough to win this category anywhere (not to say they aren't very good). And I guess I might as well stake out my territory: I think Colman is a stretch for lead; for me, the film is mostly a conflict between Stone and Weisz, with Colman the point of contention, but I'd make Colman a supporting role.

Also vis a vis The Favourite: I'm so used to seeing NY choices with runners-up included that this slate feels impoverished and incomplete to me. Which is to say, it makes a big difference whether The Favourite was close second for film and/or screenplay, or missing from the discussion completely. Same with best actress candidates Close, McCarthy, Aparicio, Gaga. I'm glad the other critics' groups aren't so prissy about guarding their information.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

My bad lol. I've been getting Regina's mixed up all day.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Best actress is the only award that is a real surprise. This should certainly help DVD sales of Support the Girls out next week.

Regina Hall also has a high-profile TV series coming to Showtime in January - called Black Monday, it's a comedy series about Wall Street in the 1980s co-starring Don Cheadle and Andrew Rannells.

She may not get an Oscar nomination, but this should help her Golden Globe chances.

Glenn Close's race toward Oscar seems unimpeded. As with the 1985 Oscar when Geraldine Page won after losing other major awards to Norma Aleandro, Meryl Streep and Whoopi Goldberg, she seems poised to lose the major precursors to a myriad of other winners but finally clutch the golden guy in the end.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Certainly a more exciting list than NBR's. (And what a good day for actresses named Regina!)

In many ways, this is a typical NY lineup -- some decent surprises on the margins, with the top honors going about as you'd expect them to. Roma has obvious hurdles that could prevent it from going all the way to the Best Picture Oscar, but at this point you'd have to say it's about as strong a foreign candidate since Crouching Tiger, and at least nominations in Picture/Director seem pretty close to certain.

First Reformed continues to outperform my expectations for it, outright winning both categories here for which it's contending for Oscar nominations. Perhaps the overdue narrative for Paul Schrader is something we shouldn't have underestimated.

I haven't seen Support the Girls, but it seems virtually impossible that Regina Hall could parlay this win into mainstream awards attention for a Bujalski movie that made only $129,000, right? (It isn't even one of the four films Magnolia Pictures is campaigning at the moment).

Grant seems to solidify his expected candidacy, and Regina King perhaps takes the early lead in the Supporting Actress race with her second prize this week. As I said the other day, I don't really see her being a Mo'Nique-level prize magnet -- the performance just doesn't reach that level of dominance -- but I could definitely see her emerging as a consensus favorite. She's been around a while, and with 3 Emmy wins in the last 4 years, it feels like she's accumulated a level of industry respect that could well lead to an Oscar.

I, too, was caught off-guard by Spider-Man's sudden emergence into the animated race, but I think this award, coupled with what will surely be big grosses, make it a major threat in a category that doesn't seem to have a terribly strong front-runner yet.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

To answer your question, Tee.

Support the Girls is an Andrew Bujalski comedy that unfortunately I have not seen but it's pretty beloved. Regina Hall has nominations from the Indie Spirits and the Gothams.

The big question: why didn't Roma win for Best Foreign-Language Film if it won for Best Film? My hunch is that maybe they did their voting for Best Film or Foreign-Film early on. The tweets for Best Director and finally Best Film were only separated by two minutes. There's no way they could have done balloting that quickly.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Cool. Now comes the inevitable hunt for the runners-up.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Film: Roma
"How's the despair?"
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón / Roma
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I live.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Screenplay: First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

???
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Actress: Regina Hall / Support the Girls