The Goldfinch reviews

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Goldfinch reviews

Post by Precious Doll »

This wasn't as awful as some critics have made out, though it is generally a bad film.

The bits set is Vegas were by far the best and Oakes Fegley as the young Theo easily gives the best performance. Actually, Sarah Paulson is pretty good too but that has more to do with the fact that I didn't even realise it was her until I checked imdb. Ansel Elgort proves once and for all that he should find another occupation because an actor he is not.

Having not read the book there is a sense of only ever getting parts of a very dense story. The film dies once it moves to Amsterdam.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I'll see it despite the poor reviews and I've liked everything John Crowley has directed in the past. However, when I noticed a couple of weeks ago that this was getting a wide release that it appeared the distributor had something they felt was not going to do well critically. A case of take the money and run.....
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Oh, well, it still looks like something worth seeing once.

Roger Deakins, at any rate, will still be in the Oscar conversation this year for 1917.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:The Hollywood Reporter review seems to have been taken down.
Here it is:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... ew-1237733
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Hollywood Reporter review seems to have been taken down.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I've read and am a huge fan of the book and I am still looking forward to this. My biggest concern about a film adaptation was how in the world are they gonna translate this sprawling narrative into a two, two-and-a-half hour film. I always thought if they were gonna adapt this, an HBO or Netflix miniseries would indeed be the way to go. You could conceivably make an entire 2-hour film focusing on young Theo and an whole other 2-hour film focusing on older Theo, like what they did with the recent It movies.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

The Goldfinch reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

Included for the record only, because this doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Maybe it should have been done as an HBO miniseries. Or maybe it was just impossible to translate the book's special quality to the screen. In any case, the season's biggest disappointment so far.

https://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/t ... 203325606/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... w-123773so far.3

Return to “2019”