Knives Out reviews

Okri
Tenured

Re: Knives Out reviews

Post by Okri »

My theatre laughed a lot. The 'masturbating Nazi" line killed, as did the repeated wrongness of just which country she was from.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Knives Out reviews

Post by Sabin »

NO SPOILERS.

DISCLAIMER: the audience I saw this film with did not laugh at all. Also, I very much think I need to see it again with the knowledge of where it goes. I found it a conceptually daring train that I was never on.

Looking back on Knives Out as a whole, I have quite a bit of affection for it. More than affection. Real admiration. It's a whodunit with something substantive on its mind about the world today. It subverts expectations with the what's and the how's of its narrative. And it pays off fantastically in a truly entertaining third act.

But I found the journey there to be a somewhat tedious, mugging, goon show. I only watched Clue for the first time recently and wasn't much of a fan so in turning his sights to that film for his next nerdy homage, Johnson wasn't necessarily making something for me. It should be said that the theater I was in didn't love it either and the silence in the theater was deadly, but I mostly didn't laugh. Much of the second act felt like water-treading to get to where it was going, and this remarkable cast felt underutilized. I spent an inordinate amount of time wondering if Daniel Craig's ridiculous southern accent was going to be a plot-point.

But when it got to its destination, I was on board. Set-ups pay off in inspired ways. The message lands. The final shot is inspired. I felt warmed by this movie like cider on Christmas, so much so that I want to watch again even though I know I'm still not going to love most of the first two acts.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Knives Out reviews

Post by Mister Tee »

The Rian Johnson of Looper seems to have returned (from that galaxy far far away) to do something cool.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/revie ... 19-1237825

tps://variety.com/2019/film/reviews/knives-out-review-1203327504/

Return to “2019”