Cats Trailer

HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Re: Cats Trailer

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

I have always thought Cats was way too uncinematic to be adapted as a movie; maybe an animated film, portraying “regular cats”’(instead of the humanoid ones) would have been a better idea... but, as always, a trailer can be misleading, so we’ll have to wait...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The trailer mostly left me cold. I would have never imagined it would spur such an enormous reaction.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Adweek:

We live in a time when it’s hard to find anything that can truly bring people together. There were those first, glorious few weeks of Pokémon Go, and of course the universal joy of mocking that coffee cup sitting on the table in Game of Thrones.

But now something entirely different has united the internet. Something so unnerving and dissonant with the psyche that watching it automatically binds you to all of humanity in what can only be described as a shared nightmare.

It is the trailer for Cats, the movie adaption of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Broadway classic. To watch it is to stare into the abyss, only to have the abyss anthro-erotically purr back, making pawing motions at you before rubbing its humanoid butt against your leg.

Yahoo:

Expect to hear the haunting refrain of “Memory,” as performed by Jennifer Hudson, approximately 80 times in the office today: There’s a good chance your coworkers are all watching the “Cats” trailer, and there’s a very good chance they’re all horrified by it.

The trailer dropped Thursday night for the live action adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd-Webber musical, starring Hudson alongside Taylor Swift, Idris Elba, James Corden, Jason Derulo, Judi Dench and the Royal Ballet’s Francesca Hayward among others.

Alas, if Twitter’s anything to go by, the internet was more mystified than enchanted — and in some cases, downright terrified.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Part of my unease is that it looks unintentionally campy (I guarantee it will be a nominee at GALECA for Campy Film of the Year) and the effects are terrible. It looks like instead of doing makeup effects, they went with digital makeup and that digital makeup looks like shit. If it's real makeup then the makeup artists should be tarred and feathered for making it look so shitty.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

It looks interesting and possibly unintentionally funny and I love felines so I'm definitely going to be seeing it.

The internet meltdown is hilarious though. For worst trailers of 2019 look no further than Late Night & Booksmart - films I was considering seeing until I saw the trailers at the cinema and now you couldn't give me enough money to watch those films in any format.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I'm curious why you guys have a negative reaction to the trailer. I haven't seen Cats on stage but by the looks of it here it seems very much like the stage show (going by the photo stills I've seen over the years) which was such a long running hit show.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Razzies, here we come!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's not often I see a trailer for a movie with so many reasons why I won't ever see it.

I was already never going to see it simply because it's Cats. But this...? Man...
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Cats Trailer

Post by dws1982 »

Trailer

Words fail.

Return to “2019”