Late Night reviews

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Late Night reviews

Post by dws1982 »

I had written a post about this, but somehow it got lost. In short, I didn't like it for the most part, and really found the characters aside from Thompson's (and maybe Kaling's) to be very poorly drawn. Even the good scenes that Kaling sometimes hands them (like the one John Lithgow shares with Emma Thompson near the end) don't have much impact because his character is such a non-entity before that. But the one big thing it has in its favor is Emma Thompson, giving the type of film-anchoring star performance that she's rarely been given the chance to do. I don't think it'll get her back into the Oscar race (if the movie had done better, it might), but I hope it at least gets her in play for similar roles in even better films, because she's excellent.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Late Night has structural resemblances to The Devil Wears Prada, and an overall vibe not unlike The Big Sick. I thought it had a considerably stronger laugh-quotient than the Nanjiani film, enough to cover for the generally predictable plot trajectory and the occasional drift to sentimentality. Above all, the film reminds us what a spectacular talent Emma Thompson is -- a wonderful comedienne and fulsome actress; she hasn't had a role as worthy of her in some time.

Not a great movie by any means, but, in this "nothing between the Oscars and Tarantino" time of year, a worthy outlet for grown-ups.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Also a welcome back to John Lithgow.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This will need careful handling if it's going to get Emma Thompson back in awards discussion. She might have gotten some attention this year for The Children Act if it had been handled better.

Return to “2019”