The Official Review Thread of 2019

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: The Official Review Thread of 2019

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
Are you from America?
Yes, indeed. Which is why I’d welcome your perspective.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:I'd love to hear what you think some of them are? Besides, obviously, "people with mental illness need help."
Are you from America?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
I thought Phillips, through the film, said a whole lot about a number of serious issues plaguing not only the United States but also many other parts of the world. And if by chance Phillips had a totally different point of view and the film was just comic book fodder going the route of Tarantino, then I and a number of people here seem to be on the same wavelength about it. The film touches on very serious issues within its flashy pop sensibility.....yes even on mental illness.

I guess you and I both came away with a totally different view of the film.
I'd love to hear what you think some of them are? Besides, obviously, "people with mental illness need help."
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote: It’s altogether unclear what he’s trying to say.
I thought Phillips, through the film, said a whole lot about a number of serious issues plaguing not only the United States but also many other parts of the world. And if by chance Phillips had a totally different point of view and the film was just comic book fodder going the route of Tarantino, then I and a number of people here seem to be on the same wavelength about it. The film touches on very serious issues within its flashy pop sensibility.....yes even on mental illness.

I guess you and I both came away with a totally different view of the film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reza wrote
Not even once did I feel, while watching "Joker", that it was a comic book film.
I think calling something a comic book film doesn’t mean the fate of the world is at hand or aliens are being fought. It can mean it plays to a pop sensibilities. I would say it feels like a comic book like most Tarantino films do. It never has a serious interest in mental illness, just as Inglourious Basterds never has a serious interest in the Holocaust. Joker feels like a skillful remix, and how skillful it appears depends on a few things (such as how much the individual needs a Joker origin film, which I just don’t).

A serious film about mental illness? No. But a modest budget Hollywood film that suggests how flashpoint a lower class uprising could be? I got a thrill from that even though at the end of the day Phillips (not Arthur) is the apolitical one. It’s altogether unclear what he’s trying to say. Which makes it all the more a comic movie.
"How's the despair?"
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ABOMINABLE
Cast: Chloe Bennet, Tenzing Norgay Trainor, Albert Tsai, Sarah Paulson, Eddie Izzard, Tsai Chin, Michelle Wong (voices).
Dir: Jill Culton.

A teenage girl finds a Yeti (the Abominable Snowman) in her rooftop and together with her two friends, try and take him back home to the Himalayas, while trying to evade an elderly billionaire and a zoologist hellbent on proving its existence. This is like the third animated film about the Yeti/Sasquatch. The best thing I can say about this film is that it's far from bad (it's the second best Yeti movie released in the past 16 months). The worst thing I can say about this movie is that it's also far from great. The plot is super typical of this type of film and is largely predictable (though they did pull a switcheroo on the "antagonist who has a change of heart" part). That said, this should please most kids without annoying the parents. You could do a lot worse. It's a fine adventure.

Oscar Prospects: The Best Animated Feature category is still weak this year so this could sneak in by virtue of it not being a sequel. It should contend for Original Song as well.

Grade: B-
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Not even once did I feel, while watching "Joker", that it was a comic book film. It was only when Bruce Wayne, the kid, pops up that I was brought back to the "reality" of the connection which joined this sad man to the Batman franchise. Luckily those bits weren't terribly intrusive and the film took me back to the story of this depressed man and the various important messages the screenplay was trying to convey. At least that's how my take of the film is. Not once did I feel it was treading a comic book path which is probably why I liked it so much.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Todd Phillips' Joker is going to inspire the worst film criticism of the year from both sides (professional and amateur)*. So let me just weigh in first on what it *is*. It's a comic book movie. It's not anything that could possibly be taken seriously as a film about mental illness. It's a comic book movie telling an origin story using pretty expert riffs on genres we've seen before to stick the landing. And for the most part, Joker works. For me, the strongest selling point of Joker is that it's exactly the kind of film growing up that I wish they would make. Now that I am 38, I understand why an adult film industry wouldn't make such a film. But we don't have an adult film industry anymore, don't we. Regardless, the three narrative devices employed in this film are: 1) we wait to see him become the Joker, 2) we go through doors hoping for explanations as to reasons why he is what he is, and 3) watching Joaquin Phoenix do crazy shit. All three of these are effective but never profound. It would be a shame if Joaquin Phoenix wins the Oscar for this film, which is why I'm fairly certain he will win. For me, he never quite comes into focus as a character, however he is very effectively utilized by the film as a whole. I enjoyed the vision, as a gritty, grimy, well-shot, edited, scored, thing that filled me with excitement and dread, about a world of Haves and Have Nots, of remarkable inequalities, and all it takes a world into chaos is a spark.

But at the end of the day it is a comic book movie in that it is using these tropes in an unserious but effective manner designed to thrill and excite. That's it. They're all mostly used very well. This is a well crafted film. The moment where Arthur is smacked in the face with his stolen sign is shot and edited better than it should be. It truly feels like it comes from nowhere. The whole film is full of those moments.

Definitely worth watching.

* After Todd Phillips' public comments this past week, I don't blame anyone for loathing this film. What a remarkably unserious asshole for suggesting that it was woke culture that drove him away from making his precious Hangover sequels and forced him to make... his best film. The worst moment of the film is a Clown protester holding a RESIST sign. What... are... you... doing? Especially considering that it completely undermines a fairly astonishing "Kill The Rich" economic message.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

I've not been a big fan of any of the comic book films (except Black Panther) that we have been inundated with these last 10-15 years or so. However, I'm happy to be called a fanboy of "Joker". I think it's a brilliant and important film about mental illness and extremely relevant to what's happening in the United States today - a calling for more medical attention towards this illness (globally) and the rampant violence constantly in the news in America with mass shootings in schools, cinemas and restaurants.

It is also a remarkable character study with an amazing performance by Phoenix. He deserves to finally win an Oscar. If the film is a hit I think it will be nominated for more than just his performance. It should get nods for Best film, Todd Phillips, the screenplay, cinematography, production design, score, sound design and make-up in addition to Phoenix.
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Almost totally agree with Irwin. Joker is a good movie but nowhere near the seminal masterpiece some critics and fanboys try to present.
Phoenix's performance is excellent and the art direction is amazing, faithfully recreating the late 70's/early 80's urban decay. But other than that, everything else is just ok.
Some creative choices also annoyed me but I can't discuss them because spoilers.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

JOKER
Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Glenn Fleshler, Bill Camp, Shea Whigham, Marc Maron.
Dir: Todd Phillips.

The controversial standalone origin story film about Batman's greatest nemesis is basically about a mentally ill aspiring stand-up comedian who go into a deep and dangerous spiral because he...LIVES...IN...A....SOCIETY!!! The Hangover movies aside, I happen to think Todd Phillips is a talented filmmaker and he does have it in him to make a great film. This film is basically an homage to Martin Scorsese films (particularly Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy) made under a veneer of being a comic book movie. Though it's not the dangerous incendiary "incel" film its detractors say it is, it's not as provocative as it think it is either. It's also not this gigantic masterpiece some comic book fans who seldom watch actual adult cinema of substance think it is either. It's simply a well-made slow-burn character study/thriller featuring a truly remarkable performance from Joaquin Phoenix. His performance alone makes this film worth a watch.

Oscar Prospects: I think this will probably get Best Actor and Best Makeup & Hairstyling. I also like the score as well.

Grade: B.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

HUSTLERS
Cast: Constance Wu, Jennifer Lopez, Keke Palmer, Lili Reinhart, Julia Stiles, Mercedes Ruehl, Cardi B., Lizzo.
Dir: Lorene Scarfaria.

Based on a true story, this film is about a group of strippers who drugs their wealthy clients and use their credit cards to fleece them of money. I have to admit when I first saw the trailer, I didn't think it was something I would want to see but the strong reviews convinced me to see it and I'm glad I did. This film is actually surprisingly fun. Yes, Jennifer Lopez is, in fact, outstanding in it. This film uses all her strengths as a performer, actress and on-screen persona to its advantage and makes the film better for it. In fact, she's so good, I found myself missing her a lot when she's not there (which is the weakness of this film). That dance to "Criminal" alone is Oscar-worthy.

Oscar Prospects: Yes, J. Lo is getting an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress but I think Costume Design is also worthy.

Grade: B+

THE GOLDFINCH
Cast: Ansel Elgort, Oakes Fegley, Nicole Kidman, Aneurin Bernard, Finn Wolfhard, Luke Wilson, Sarah Paulson, Jeffrey Wright, Ashleigh Cummings, Willa Fitzgerald, Aimee Laurence, Denis O'Hare.
Dir: John Crowley.

Based on the novel, this is about a 13 year old boy whose mother was killed in a terrorist attack in an art museum and sets him off on an emotional journey involving drugs, antiques, the art world and crime. I've read and am a fan of the book. When I first heard that they're gonna adapt it for a movie, the first thing that entered my mind is, "ONE movie?" The novel is a long sprawling narrative. How are they gonna fit it in two, maybe three hours? Not very well is the answer. But to be fair to the film, I thought the young Theo parts are quite good and actually shows sparks of greatness of what could have been (Oakes Fegley, in particular, is outstanding, he was the young Theo I imagined). It's only when the film jumps to adult Theo that it goes off the rails. If I hadn't read the book, I probably would've been completely lost, confused and annoyed. It's not as bad a film as the reviews suggest. Just a mediocre misfire.

Oscar Prospects: None.

Grade: C+
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

AD ASTRA
Cast: Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga, Donald Sutherland, John Ortiz, Liv Tyler.
Dir: James Gray.

An astronaut goes on an expedition to Neptune to find his father who he thought died long ago during a seemingly botched space mission. I have to say I'm very surprised James Gray was allowed to make a film like this. His previous films have neither lit the box-office on fire nor have gotten Oscar nominations or wins. But personally, I hope that changes with this film. I have to say, I will be thinking about this film for a few days.This is a heady, ambitious science fiction film that really digs in deep with the questions. Comparisons to Kubrick and Tarkovsky are merited though this film is a bit more accessible/straightforward than them. This contains some of the best cinematography of the year. Not quite my favorite James Gray film and not quite my favorite film of the year but it's up there.

Oscar Prospects: Picture, Actor (Brad Pitt, and personally I like him better here than in Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood), Director. Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Production Design, Visual Effects, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing and Original Score are all deserved.

Grade: A-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

IT: CHAPTER TWO
Cast: Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, Jay Ryan, James Ramsone, Andy Bean, Bill Skarsgaard, Jaeden Martell, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer, Wyatt Oleff, Chosen Jacobs, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Xavier Dolan.
Dir: Andy Muschietti.

The second chapter of the hit horror film based on the Stephen King novel has the Losers Club return to Derry, Maine as adults to defeat It once and for all. I was very concerned about the second half of the story because I remember in the miniseries, the kids part of the story was pretty good while the adult part was a huge disappointment. Good news and bad news about the new version. The good news is that this nowhere near as big a disappointment as the miniseries. The bad news is that it still kind of a disappointment. It's overlong, a bit repetitive and not quite the scary thrill ride the original was. The film is very well-cast (Bill Hader is also a great dramatic actor as it turns out) and they do make the almost three-hour running time worth it. But all in all, it's a satisfying enough capper to the story.

Oscar Prospects: None but the Makeup is noteworthy.

Grade: B-
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

GOOD BOYS
Cast: Jacob Tremblay, Keith L. Williams, Brady Noon, Will Forte, Molly Gordon, Midori Francis, Lil Rey Howery, Retta.
Dir: Gene Stupnitksy.

Three pre-teen boys get into all sorts of trouble and misadventures after one of them gets invited to a kissing party where his crush is gonna be attending. It is marketed as the pre-teen version of Superbad with the vulgar language and sex jokes. And oddly enough, it kind of works. It's often quite funny. Amazingly enough though, it does manage to maintain a certain veneer of innocence and sweetness. It pushes the envelope in a way which doesn't cross the line and in the process maintains a certain level of believability of the characters and the situation. Jacob Tremblay once again proves he's one of the best actors his age by showing off his comic chops and his two co-stars should get more roles after this. It may not be a great movie, but I enjoyed myself enough to give this a recommendation.

Oscar Prospects: None but it would be fun to see Jacob Tremblay get a Golden Globe Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy for this.

Grade: B

Return to “2019”