All Is True

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: All Is True

Post by ITALIANO »

Sabin wrote:
Italiano wrote
The Blind Side must be the worst.
I meant of films this decade, although The Blind Side got its nomination in 2010. I personally don't think The Blind Side's nomination is forgettable. I think it's memorable for all the wrong reasons.
True: worst, not most forgettable.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Italiano wrote
I meant of films this decade, although The Blind Side got its nomination in 2010. I personally don't think The Blind Side's nomination is forgettable. I think it's memorable for all the wrong reasons. That said, I do consistently forget that District 9 was nominated for Best Picture.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't see Branagh's film getting anywhere near the Best Picture race. I didn't see it getting anything until I thought of the Dench connection which is in line with 63-year-old Willem Dafoe in the hunt for Best Actor as 37-year-old Vincent Van Gogh.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

District 9 is a terrific film and deserved a Best Picture nomination more than four or five of the films it was nominated against.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Sabin wrote: It remains locked in eternal struggle with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for most forgettable Oscar film of the decade. Can we please go back to five now?
This year's nominations do mark a decade...10 years of this nonsense!

However, I see your choices and I raise you a District 9.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Could this film turn up a few acting nominations? Sure, but probably not. It just looks like something from a bygone era, which is to say post-Pulp Fiction Miramax. I don't really get the impression that the Academy is wistful for that era. If they were, then perhaps she would have picked up more traction for Victoria and Abdul, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. And if they old Academy was over it, the "new" one likely will be as well.

I had to mentally scan backwards in my head to Judi Dench's last nominated performance by the Academy. I had completely forgotten about the existence of Philomena despite it being my post signature for years. It remains locked in eternal struggle with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for most forgettable Oscar film of the decade. Can we please go back to five now?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

All Is True

Post by Big Magilla »

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2018/10/30 ... -mckellen/

Not sure why Sony is releasing this at the last minute, but could be a push for Judi Dench considering the supporting actress category is the most wide open of all the acting races this year.

On the surface, the 84-year-old Dench playing Shakespeare's 60-year-old wife, Anne Hathaway, seems a bit bizarre, but this is the 20th anniversary of her win for her cameo as Elizabeth I in another film about Shakespeare. Could be they see something in her performance that suggests lightning could strike again.

Return to “2018”