Beautiful Boy reviews

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Beautiful Boy reviews

Post by Precious Doll »

Reza wrote:
Uri wrote: Best Actor is going to be an interesting race especially with Rami Malek vying for a spot too. I think there is going to be a major upset in this category on nomination morning.
I think all of the acting categories at this stage are to early to predict with any accuracy and without a few exceptions (Cooper, Colman) remain wide open. That so many smaller films that have failed to connect with public and this will have some degree of impact along with the Netflix factor.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Uri wrote:
Sabin wrote: There's one big wild card we haven't seen yet and that's The Mule. He already has four Oscars but considering his competition is 43 years old it's hard to make the argument that by giving him one more somebody else is getting seriously robbed.
If Eastwood is nominated, I can see Cooper, at least publicly, champining him - "his mentor" of a kind - for the win.
If any of the old guard is going to get a nomination it will be Redford, not Eastwood.

Best Actor is going to be an interesting race especially with Rami Malek vying for a spot too. I think there is going to be a major upset in this category on nomination morning.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Sabin wrote: There's one big wild card we haven't seen yet and that's The Mule. He already has four Oscars but considering his competition is 43 years old it's hard to make the argument that by giving him one more somebody else is getting seriously robbed.
If Eastwood is nominated, I can see Cooper, at least publicly, champining him - "his mentor" of a kind - for the win.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Sabin wrote:

I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody but Rami Malek could win. Even if the movie isn't that great. It's an enormous hit that is connecting with people. There's a huge physical transformation involved. I'd imagine he has a chance. I could see him being an alternative to Bradley Cooper.
I'm beginning to think that Rami Malek could very well score a nomination. Didn't think he had a chance in hell with the lacklustre reviews and baggage the film carried before it came out but Sabin says 'enormous hit that is connecting with people' changes things.

The film has great legs worldwide and looks to be headed for half a billion at the world box office (sounds better than $500 million). Though I don't think Malek would beat Cooper for the Oscar. Cooper's film is also a huge hit worldwide and is connecting with people too and given that Cooper not only starred in ASIB, but directed, adapted/co-wrote, co-produced and had a hand in some of the song writing its the perfect category for the Academy to reward him in. And he has three acting nominations already, so he looks 'due'.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Bog wrote
The way the momentum movements have gone the last several years it sure is difficult to fathom one of the 2 Sabin was talking of won't just boredom our way through the whole winter...the way it's basically gone post-Thanksgiving since....Dujardin? Penn's second? first?
I haven't seen Bohemian Rhapsody but Rami Malek could win. Even if the movie isn't that great. It's an enormous hit that is connecting with people. There's a huge physical transformation involved. I'd imagine he has a chance. I could see him being an alternative to Bradley Cooper.

There's one big wild card we haven't seen yet and that's The Mule. He already has four Oscars but considering his competition is 43 years old it's hard to make the argument that by giving him one more somebody else is getting seriously robbed. We're also in a world that is considerably less tolerant of his his anti-PC views. But who knows?
"How's the despair?"
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Reza wrote: Have a feeling that although both Bale and Cooper will be nominated neither will win.
Well now I'm intrigued Reza, who ya got?....Viggo? Gosling?

The way the momentum movements have gone the last several years it sure is difficult to fathom one of the 2 Sabin was talking of won't just boredom our way through the whole winter...the way it's basically gone post-Thanksgiving since....Dujardin? Penn's second? first?
Last edited by Bog on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Sabin wrote:
Reze wrote
Bradley Cooper appears to be getting very strong competition from Christian Bale in Vice. Don't think Cooper is the frontrunner any longer.
As I've written elsewhere, I've seen Vice. Or at the very least, a couple of cuts before the final cut.

At the time, I wrote something like "Christian Bale is probably getting nominated, I guess" which in retrospect is a serious understatement. This is more than Makeup Assist acting. He is very good in the film and the first sight of him as Dick Cheney is just truly astonishing. You feel like you are watching Dick Cheney. No joke. That being said, there film doesn't allow him a range of emotion. Have you seen Dick Cheney in real life? That's basically all he's allowed to do in the film. Unless something has been changed, everyone else gets emotional scenes in the film. He just sort of Cheney's through scene to scene. But his transformation IS truly astonishing. Could that be enough? It's possible.

My hunch though is for the past few years, the Best Actor race started with one person far ahead (DiCaprio, Affleck, and Oldman) and things just sort of stayed that way. Sure, Denzel Washington might have closed the gap on Casey Affleck with Fences but who knows? All I know is history looks like it repeats itself with Bradley Cooper.
Have a feeling that although both Bale and Cooper will be nominated neither will win.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Reze wrote
Bradley Cooper appears to be getting very strong competition from Christian Bale in Vice. Don't think Cooper is the frontrunner any longer.
As I've written elsewhere, I've seen Vice. Or at the very least, a couple of cuts before the final cut.

At the time, I wrote something like "Christian Bale is probably getting nominated, I guess" which in retrospect is a serious understatement. This is more than Makeup Assist acting. He is very good in the film and the first sight of him as Dick Cheney is just truly astonishing. You feel like you are watching Dick Cheney. No joke. That being said, there film doesn't allow him a range of emotion. Have you seen Dick Cheney in real life? That's basically all he's allowed to do in the film. Unless something has been changed, everyone else gets emotional scenes in the film. He just sort of Cheney's through scene to scene. But his transformation IS truly astonishing. Could that be enough? It's possible.

My hunch though is for the past few years, the Best Actor race started with one person far ahead (DiCaprio, Affleck, and Oldman) and things just sort of stayed that way. Sure, Denzel Washington might have closed the gap on Casey Affleck with Fences but who knows? All I know is history looks like it repeats itself with Bradley Cooper.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Sabin wrote:The Mule is also a big question mark. I can’t imagine they need to give Bradley Cooper a supporting win when he’s so clearly far ahead in the leading race.
I'm not really expecting it, except maybe as a contingency to get Bradley Cooper in the winner's circle in the event that the critics and TV awards decide to throw all their weight behind someone else in Best Actor. I'm not expecting that, but I'm keeping my eye on the possibility.

And for Driver, I think a lot of it is the fact that he's built-up a lot of goodwill over the past several years. And he does have the clearest Oscar moment of anyone in that film.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don’t know why Sam Elliot eclipsed my memory. He’s a very good bet. I don’t totally understand the hype behind Adam Driver. He’s quite good, with one wonderfully underplayed standout scene, but he’s very much an ensemble player.

Michael B. Jordan is the big question mark for me. I think one critic’s group will go for him. He’s been in the running for a bit now and certainly should have been nominated for Creed over his competition. I can’t say he’s great in Black Panther but he’s certainly memorable.

The Mule is also a big question mark. I can’t imagine they need to give Bradley Cooper a supporting win when he’s so clearly far ahead in the leading race.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

One of my biggest nomination wishlist items this year is for Brian Tyree Henry to find his way into this category for his brief, but devastating turn in If Beale Street Could Talk
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'd put Elliot and Adam Driver ahead of, or at least on equal footing with, Chalamet. I'm not ruling him out completely; I just think that the combination of mixed reviews and a non-start at the box-office, he'll need either a really good campaign from Amazon, or he'll need to get rescued by the critics. I'd put Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther just behind--I'm still not sure what to make of that movie and its Oscar chances beyond the tech categories.

And then I could also see someone we're not much thinking about right now coming on strong when nominations start coming out. Maybe Russell Hornsby for The Hate U Give, or Bradley Cooper for The Mule, like Clooney in 2005?
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Sabin wrote:
dws1982 wrote
In a weak year, I wouldn't have any problem with him winning Best Supporting Actor, although A) I don't think he'll be nominated this year, and B) he's lead.
I’ve yet to see the film but he seems like an extremely strong bet for a nomination alongside Mahershala Ali, Richard E. Grant, and who else? Maybe Sam Rockwell although he is barely in Vice.
Sam Elliott seems pretty likely.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
In a weak year, I wouldn't have any problem with him winning Best Supporting Actor, although A) I don't think he'll be nominated this year, and B) he's lead.
I’ve yet to see the film but he seems like an extremely strong bet for a nomination alongside Mahershala Ali, Richard E. Grant, and who else? Maybe Sam Rockwell although he is barely in Vice.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “2018”