The Happytime Murders

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Happytime Murders

Post by Precious Doll »

Well, the publicity the film received didn't help the film at the box office and I guess audiences could smell an underachiever.

It has some amusing moments, the best being when it pays homage to that most famous scene in Basic Instinct, but the whole thing is just so formulaic. In some respects it wants to pay homage to those old 40's film noir but the storytelling is very lazy. Melissa McCarthy appears to be just going through the motions here, which I do prefer than when she tries too hard. Maya Rudolph is as usual a scene stellar.

The puppets are not as well used as they should have been with the lead one being a rather drab invention. Its also mercifully short and never feels over extended. Peter Jackson has nothing to worry about here. His Meet the Feebles remains the benchmark for adult puppet cinema.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: The Happytime Murders

Post by Precious Doll »

"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

The Happytime Murders

Post by Precious Doll »

The film probably does not deserve its own thread but the publicity is great for the film at a commercial level. It's not the first time 'adult' entertainment has been inspired by children's television and movies. Peter Jackson's 1989 Meet the Feebles was a very funny smutty song and musical. It's poster tag line remains one of cinema's most memorable 'Sex, drugs & soft toys'.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... uppet-film

Return to “2018”